Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-25-2020, 02:58 PM   #16
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Most Estonians can quote it in their sleep.
Good one; I'll have to remember it.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 03:08 PM   #17
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I’ll suggest Deliverance.

Both book and movie are terrific in which case I’d usually go with the book, but the absence of the first-person narrator in the movie made the outcome even more suspenseful.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2020, 03:17 PM   #18
Gandulf
Addict
Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
After I rediscovered ebooks and upgraded my ereader I looked at my library's collection and they have a lot. Checked out the first one of LOTR and yup, it's a slog and I didn't finish it. And that would have been the 3rd time I'd have read it. I'm clearly getting fussy in my old age.

As good as or better than the movie is the audio book version done by the BBC where they have actors playing the characters, like the old radio dramas.
Often wondered the age of a person when they review or comment about a book.

It is a bit of a slog, that's probably why I have only read them 3 times
Gandulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 03:45 PM   #19
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
The Princess Bride book can be odd, if the reader doesn't realize it's meant to be satire. Check out 1 star reviews and you'll see examples of readers who didn't "get it."

But I do agree the movie was more enjoyable.

I enjoyed Empire Falls mini series more than the book, but the book is good. I've just got a thing for Ed Harris and Paul Newman.

I like The Haunting much more as a movie, the 1963 version. The book was supposed to be scary, but I didn't get it.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 03:57 PM   #20
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Definitely The Princess Bride for me, despite having read the book first. I actually enjoyed the book more on the first read as a teen, a few months before watching the then-newly-released film, than I did decades later on a re-read when Goldman's love of his own cleverness and clumsy autobiographical insertions came across as self-indulgent and tedious. The one thing I wish they had included in the film from the book was the way they all banded together to rescue Wesley from the Pit of Despair
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2020, 04:18 PM   #21
skb
Evangelist
skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod G4, MacOS 10.12, Calibre, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Even the author of Lost Horizon (1937 James Hilton) said that the movie was better than the book. And it was.
skb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 04:26 PM   #22
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skb View Post
Even the author of Lost Horizon (1937 James Hilton) said that the movie was better than the book. And it was.
Agreed.

Also, The Graduate.
Old 08-25-2020, 04:47 PM   #23
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Soylent Green got me thinking of Charlton Heston, which brings to mind:

The Omega Man
PLEASE don't say that the goofy The Omega Man with its disco zombies is better than Richard Matheson's I Am Legend. Surely you must have recently been struck on the head for your perceptions to be so skewed.

Quote:
The 10 Commandments
No comment there. Anything I say will feel like it belongs in P&R
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 05:13 PM   #24
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
and The Natural.
I thought the book was better.
Old 08-25-2020, 05:21 PM   #25
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
One instance where the book was definitely better than the movie was Girl On The Train. The better half and I read that one together and both enjoyed it.

But that movie... It was a bad movie not because of changes made to the story. It was just a poor movie, overall.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 05:49 PM   #26
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
If you're not familiar with the story, you should watch "Predestination" before reading "All You Zombies."

Jaws the movie is much better than the book.

Von Ryan's Express, they're pretty close, but the movie's ending is much more memorable.

A Scanner Darkly, the movie is as close to a literal adaptation as it's possible to get
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 05:58 PM   #27
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
PLEASE don't say that the goofy The Omega Man with its disco zombies is better than Richard Matheson's I Am Legend. Surely you must have recently been struck on the head for your perceptions to be so skewed.

Yeah, that's the movie. I saw it a lot of times when I was younger, and a couple of times since, but it sticks in my mind. Whereas I read I Am Legend recently, and I've already forgotten a lot of it.

Come to think of it, I probably thought the recent I Am Legend movie was better than the book.

[ducks his head in shame]
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 07:20 PM   #28
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I read "Dr Zhivago" and then saw the movie and, while I liked the book I think the movie was far superior.

I sure can't agree with "The Maltese Falcon". I loved that book. I might agree that the movie was nearly as good.

I have a hard time comparing movies with books. They rarely have that much in common and when they do that's usually a strong mark against the movie. They're different art forms and different also in that a book is the creation of a single mind and a movie is a collaboration.

Anybody remember Allan Sherman? He had a line in his song "Peter and the Commissar" that covers this situation pretty well:
"There's a saying that is true as well as witty
that a camel is a horse that was designed by a committee"

With that in mind I'm not sure I can agree about "Carrie" either. It was an excellent movie but I think the book was even better.

This is a good idea for a thread. I'm glad it was suggested.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 08:13 PM   #29
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Yes, many

I think these movies are all superior to the book - some off the top of my head, I'm sure I'm forgetting a few:

Jaws
Dolores Clairborne
Brian Depalma's Carrie (didnt' like the book)
Kubrick's The Shining
Monkey Shines (movie great, book not)
Requiem for a Dream
Horns
Terms of Endearment (really hated the book, loved the movie)
The Man without a Face (Book much better IMO)
Psycho -- I love Robert Bloch but his first book was very basic for him and it seemed half-hearted and I doubt he knew what a success it would be later
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 01:14 AM   #30
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Apart from "Crazy Rich Asians", most of the suggestions are old. Are there no good recent movies based on books, or are they not known here?

I thought Arrival was an excellent movie, but I'm not sure it's better than the short story it is based on.
rkomar is online now   Reply With Quote