Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 10-11-2019, 05:33 AM   #1
RobbieW
RobbieW began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
The Economist...

Downloaded this morning and, although the file size looks about right, I'm getting a couple of paragraphs in each section then a call to sign up to the Economist for more content.
RobbieW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 06:44 PM   #2
Bola de Fogo
Bola de Fogo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paper White
The same for me! Does someone know how to fix it?
Bola de Fogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2019, 08:48 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Works fine for me. it maybe that the economist is rolling out some newmarkup in a phased fashion. If an when the rollout is completed, I will look into adapting the recipe for it.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 07:39 PM   #4
gdickens
gdickens began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I've been having the same issue, only stopped working recently.

I tested it and I suspect it's an issue coming from Amazon's processing of the file as the articles downloaded using the recipe are complete until being transferred via the send to kindle email address.

I've just switched to transferring the file manually via USB.
gdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 08:42 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sending files via email is a total crapshoot since amazon feels free to totaly destroy files in its internal processing. Nothing calibre can do about it.
Advert
Old 11-07-2019, 10:17 PM   #6
gdickens
gdickens began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Yeah, absolutely. Wasn't trying to imply it was a Calibre problem.

I tested it again today via a range of methods and it seems to work fine now for me.

Wanted to check whether Amazon was replacing the file by reading the metadata or reading the actual content but I couldn't reproduce the issue so not sure why it occurred in the first place.

Thanks for developing Calibre and actively maintaining the recipes btw Kovid. Appreciate your dedication.
gdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 01:43 AM   #7
vike1108
vike1108 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I did not have this problem with the Nov 9-15 issue, but as of Nov 16-22 I am also seeing the problem described by RobbieW - a few paragraphs followed by a paywall message. I hope this is temporary or readily resolved.

And I strongly concur with gdickens - Calibre is both a treasure and an impressive piece of work. I am very grateful to Kovid for bringing it to the world.
vike1108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 02:24 AM   #8
vike1108
vike1108 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I just checked The Economist one more time this evening - it's still the same, opening excerpt for each article, then the "Continue reading for free - Join to get 5 free articles per month" message and links to subscription signup.

Oh well.
vike1108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 03:31 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Still working for me. Which recipe exactly are you using, there are two.
Old 11-19-2019, 10:21 AM   #10
josemys
josemys began at the beginning.

Device: Irex DR1000
I'm having the same issue here. Not sure which recipe I'm using as both of them have the same title and I'm running it from the command line:
ebook-convert "The Economist.recipe" economist.epub

Both the free and the normal version seem to have exactly the same code though at the moment
josemys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 10:24 AM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Then its likely a server issue affecting downloads from some regions, not much I can do to fix it until I can reproduce.
Old 11-20-2019, 05:27 AM   #12
josemys
josemys began at the beginning.

Device: Irex DR1000
sure, that's just the way it works!
josemys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 03:57 AM   #13
RobbieW
RobbieW began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Update from OP: I left it for a week or two, then updated Calibre to 4.3 and tried again. No problems since then
RobbieW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 04:00 AM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I tried it today as well, still works for me.
Old 11-22-2019, 06:12 AM   #15
technicaltitch
technicaltitch began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 350
I had issues on several attempts over the course of the week running from a London AWS EC2 instance. I have now tried from home here in Ethiopia (using Calibre 3.7 on macOS) and the standard recipe ran fine.

Thanks very much indeed Kovid for directing me here and helping on the issue I created! (I'd started and failed with an Economist recipe that used my credentials.)

technicaltitch is offline   Reply With Quote