Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 05-18-2010, 09:35 AM   #1
borisb
Edge User

Kindle for Android coming this summer

(retracted)

Last edited by borisb; 08-15-2010 at 06:28 PM.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:08 AM   #2
NiaTrue
Edge User

Okay, if you weren't already impressed by the forethought that went into developing the eDGe, you should be now. This changes everything.

Advert
Old 05-18-2010, 10:17 AM   #3
Yellowman1
Edge User

This is the one I am waiting for to launch http://www.borders.com/online/store/MediaView_ebooks. I like the idea of being able to read the book that I buy on any device without being tied to a particular ereader or format (I know the eDGe only reads epub & pdf for now). Borders is not a bad bookstore itself.
On a different (but similar) note, I, for one, do like reading on the LCD screen (so long as the background is not white or any other bright colour). I have different ereaders on my laptop & computers but the one I like the best is the ereader software from http://www.ereader.com. The reader is light on the eyes, especially with the "parchment" background colour option, and the features are pretty good. So far I haven't found an e-Ink ereader that has auto-scrolling feature (and that's one feature I like when reading a novel or magazine), thus I tend to read those on my laptop or computer. The only downside, in my opinion, to reading on the LCD is the battery drain on the device.
One good ereader that I did find that loaded full screen on the eDGe (I loaded it on my friend's eDGe when I was setting it up for him, waiting on my eDGe to arrive this weekend) is Aldiko from the Google Market store (I have the apk file, if anyone wants it, PM me your email address and I will email it to you). Nice little ereader that I believe I will be using more than the e-Ink side to read my novels and magazines.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:29 AM   #4
NiaTrue
Edge User

The Border's ebookstore and ereader look fabulous. The ebook availability gap between the eDGe and the iPad and other devices is shrinking by the hour. Also, Barnes & Noble has been saying for several months that they're working on an Android version of their free ebook reader. Can't wait for that. Two weeks ago, I emailed and asked when they might be ready to launch it. No ETA yet, but they say it's definitely coming.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:33 AM   #5
NiaTrue
Edge User

That would be heaven!

Advert
Old 05-18-2010, 10:51 AM   #6
10tklz
Edge User

Incredible! I can't wait!

Old 05-18-2010, 12:28 PM   #7
Steed
Edge User

The Amazon Kindle app from what I know converts the books into a ePub format so it can be read on computers, so I don't see why it would not be possible for Amazon to alow it to be pushed over to the reader side of the eDGe. That would be awsome.

Old 05-18-2010, 02:15 PM   #8
DavidC
Edge User

This is awesome news because... just as there are a few podcasters out there who ONLY are available through iTunes, there are some publishers who only do ebooks thru Amazon. There are a couple books I have in mind that I was going to buy the hardcopy of as they are Kindle only. Now I won't have to.

Old 05-19-2010, 02:42 AM   #9
alefor
Edge User

Kindle for the eDGe would be a terrific addition. Reading books on the LCD side would not be bad at all. I realize that everyone's sensitivity to reading on a LCD screen is different, but my personal experience is that reading books on the iPad (LCD screen) is terrific. Just being able to access the KIndle library will do a lot for all of us.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:23 AM   #10
alefor
Edge User

The Amazon site has a place to enter your email for notification of release.