Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-27-2021, 07:15 PM   #34576
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9", KO2, Paperwhite 2019
Right now we only have one set for the new adjustable split king bed, so the sheets get washed and are put right back on the bed the same day. I had a couple of regular king sets for the old bed, but preferred one set over the other, so they also got washed and put back on the same day.

I don't care for how they smell after a week or two in the linen closet, they don't stink exactly, but don't smell fresh anymore. I like them fresh out of the dryer. Don't suggest dryer sheets, Downey, or fabreeze, can't stand the stuff and it's not good for clothing/fabric. Ruined an entire load of hubby's dress shirts years ago from a dryer sheet. Won't have it in the house.

Fragrances are the new second hand smoke.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 06:48 AM   #34577
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
I don't care for how they smell after a week or two in the linen closet, they don't stink exactly, but don't smell fresh anymore.
Is your linen closet heated in any way? If not, that's probably the problem.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 08:31 AM   #34578
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Is your linen closet heated in any way? If not, that's probably the problem.
No, it's just a small closet that was added to the upstairs landing when the house was added on to in the 1960's. It's really that the sheets don't smell as fresh as they do when they have just come out of the dryer.

I'd love to have a clothesline...love the smell of sheets fresh from the outside.
Old 07-28-2021, 10:18 AM   #34579
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
No, it's just a small closet that was added to the upstairs landing when the house was added on to in the 1960's. It's really that the sheets don't smell as fresh as they do when they have just come out of the dryer.

I'd love to have a clothesline...love the smell of sheets fresh from the outside.
Clearly, your only possible solution is to have the bed and the dryer in the same room.

Quote:
Ruined an entire load of hubby's dress shirts years ago from a dryer sheet. Won't have it in the house.
Hm. Never had a problem with them.
An aside: as a kid, I did a TV commercial for Bounce dryer sheets when they were first introduced nationally.
ApK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 06:10 PM   #34580
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:

I read that a couple of tennis balls or a ball of aluminium foil in the dryer will do what 'dryer sheets' are alleged to do.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 01:55 PM   #34581
Rumpelteazer
Wizard
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 4
I woke up Sunday morning with a really sore right shoulder. At six am, when I had to use the toilet, everything was fine. An hour and a half later I wake up with a sore shoulder. It's already doing much better, but because I try not to hurt the should I move around differently and now the right side of my ribs, neck and upper right arm are also a bit stiff and sore.

I'm really in the mood to cross stitch, but that's not happening for at least another couple of days.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 03:14 PM   #34582
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I read that a couple of tennis balls or a ball of aluminium foil in the dryer will do what 'dryer sheets' are alleged to do.
No. Tennis balls can help fluff comforters and the like, but...no.
The sheets soften, freshen, reduce static, and, apparently, destroy Deskisamess's clothes. Tennis balls do none of that.
As for aluminum foil, can't say I've tried it, but I'd bet money it's more useful as a hat than in this application. Wouldn't be surprised if the users of the hats are who suggested the use in the dryer....

Last edited by ApK; 08-03-2021 at 03:21 PM.
Old 08-03-2021, 07:03 PM   #34583
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
The sheets soften, freshen, reduce static, and, apparently, destroy Deskisamess's clothes. Tennis balls do none of that.
As for aluminum foil, can't say I've tried it, but I'd bet money it's more useful as a hat than in this application. Wouldn't be surprised if the users of the hats are who suggested the use in the dryer....
I have what Deskisamess craves - a sunny garden with a clothes line and a climate that doesn't render it useless for weeks on end
Old 08-03-2021, 08:39 PM   #34584
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O; RealMe X2 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I have what Deskisamess craves - a sunny garden with a clothes line and a climate that doesn't render it useless for weeks on end
Except in bushfire season, presumably?
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 02:45 AM   #34585
BetterRed
null operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
Except in bushfire season, presumably?
Not many bushfires in Sydney's Inner West.

Backyard barbecues are a greater menace to washing on a line. Lesson, don't do the washing at weekends unless you like sleeping with the whiff of cremated flesh.
Old 08-04-2021, 03:48 AM   #34586
BetterRed
null operator

The person who 'invented' frozen mango should be strung up.

I bought some the other day as a lockdown 'treat', Just opened it - awful, as stringy as a doormat, tasted like petrol, which makes me wonder if it was paw-paw (papaya). Fortunately I tried a bit before adding it to the fruit salad I was making - it's back in the freezer with the other 'wet' rubbish.

I pre covid times we could get fresh mango 12 months a year. In winter it was imported from S.E. Asia, yes it was expensive - but at least it was mango. Because there are hardly any o'seas flights into Aus a lot of air freight imports are off the agenda.
Old 08-04-2021, 09:33 AM   #34587
Deskisamess
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
You wouldn't roll your eyes if you had to replace a bunch of button down dress shirts. The oils and chemicals on the dryer sheets and in liquid softener are not good for clothes. The scents are unhealthy especially for folks with asthma and other breathing issues.

We lived hand to mouth when those shirts were ruined by oily spots that wouldn't wash out. I shopped thrift stores at the time to replace his work shirts that were ruined. (He had to wear a shirt and tie for his job).
Old 08-04-2021, 10:19 AM   #34588
ApK

Quote:
You wouldn't roll your eyes if you had to replace a bunch of button down dress shirts. The oils and chemicals on the dryer sheets and in liquid softener are not good for clothes. The scents are unhealthy especially for folks with asthma and other breathing issues.

We lived hand to mouth when those shirts were ruined by oily spots that wouldn't wash out. I shopped thrift stores at the time to replace his work shirts that were ruined. (He had to wear a shirt and tie for his job).
I'm rolling my eyes at the use of aluminum foil balls as fabric softener.
While I have never heard of a dryer sheet doing anything like the damage you describe (are you SURE nothing else could have caused the oil damage?), I am aware that some fabrics are harmed by softeners, and I certainly understand the sensitivity issues.

Last edited by ApK; 08-04-2021 at 10:22 AM.
Old 08-04-2021, 11:41 AM   #34589
Deskisamess
Wizard

I think anything banging around in the dryer would help soften clothes, it's similar to clothes being whipped in the air on a windy day hanging on the clothesline.

My DIL uses dryer balls...I can't stand the sounds of thumping coming from the dryer.
Old 08-04-2021, 04:20 PM   #34590
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
I think anything banging around in the dryer would help soften clothes, it's similar to clothes being whipped in the air on a windy day hanging on the clothesline.

My DIL uses dryer balls...I can't stand the sounds of thumping coming from the dryer.
If you add a sound effect of someone screaming, it's much less annoying. :-)

Hitch
Hitch is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness