Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-17-2021, 06:28 AM   #1
scatolabox
scatolabox began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H20
Problems on detecting Kobo Libra H20 on Macbook pro 2020

Hi you all,
I have already called the assistance number of Kobo, and Apple too - and they suggest me to call the other part, obviously. Then this is a desperate test to see if someone else solved in another way my problem.

I have bought a Macbook pro 2020. And I recently bought also a Libra H20.
With an adaptors, I am able to charge the Kobo but not to "see it" as device, in any way possible.

I changed several adaptors but none of them made my Kobo be detected. I tried to download Kobo App. Nothing - it blocks asking me to connect the device.
I tried to change USB ports, 2.0 or 3.0 from the same adaptor. Nothing. I tried to format my Kobo to original settings. Nothing.
My Kobo works fine in other 2 Windows computers, it has not any deficiency.

Is there someone of you which solved this issue? Thank you very much in advance.
scatolabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 07:12 AM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatolabox View Post
Hi you all,
I have already called the assistance number of Kobo, and Apple too - and they suggest me to call the other part, obviously. Then this is a desperate test to see if someone else solved in another way my problem.

I have bought a Macbook pro 2020. And I recently bought also a Libra H20.
With an adaptors, I am able to charge the Kobo but not to "see it" as device, in any way possible.
I have a 2019 MBP, and I have no trouble connecting through a USB hub (unless I pick up the dodgy microUSB cable instead of the good one). Hubs are very cheap.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 09:17 AM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Interesting.

I suffered through this problem with my new 2020 MacBook Air (M1 chip / Big Sur). Remember, these newer models only have USB-C. I then read about the 'Kobo issue' (in a different thread here) and bought an 'old' hub, along with a new one, and then the problem was solved. BUT WAIT! THERE'S MORE:

Then, about 1 month ago, the issue completely stopped. I no longer needed that older USB hub connected to a newer version hub for my computer to see my Kobo readers. (There was never a problem with my two Kindles.)

All I need now is a simple adapter to my Kindle and the USB-C to my computer. (Actually, it's a simple USB-C to my USB-C port on my computer. This, in turn has a regular USB cable which is connected to that adapter and the other end to the Kobo.)

About the time the problem stopped, Kobo upgraded its firmware, and Apple put out a slight revision to Big Sur.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 06-17-2021 at 09:24 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 09:50 AM   #4
rmnelson
rmnelson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!rmnelson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!rmnelson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!rmnelson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!rmnelson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!rmnelson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!rmnelson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!rmnelson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!rmnelson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!rmnelson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!rmnelson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara HD
Using an "Amazon Basics USB-C3.1 Gen1 to USB-A Adapter" with the USB-A to MicroUSB cable that came with my Clara I couldn't connect to my 2020 M1 MBA. Plugging the USB-A to MicroUSB cable to my Satechi hub and everything worked.

I would add that the Amazon adapter works with everything I tried except the Kobo cable, so I use it all the time. I paid $8 for it and got two vs. the Apple adapter which is $19 for one.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Satechi works with everything I've tried, seems well made, and cost $89 but I got it on sale for $72.
https://satechi.net/products/type-c-...VLUVUifQ%3D%3D

I don't own stock or have any relationship other than customer with either of these companies.
rmnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 07:53 PM   #5
scatolabox
scatolabox began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H20
thank you all for your answers - I didn't receive an email notification then excuse me for my delay.

@meera: I already have an hub. It is the last one that I did not return, since I was tired of trying products and sending them back to Amazon. Cables and this hub, did not work. The hub has a 3.0 usb port and a usb 2.0 port.

@rmnelson, the hub could be a great solution and thank you for your hint, but its cost is similar to an e-reader cost. I hope there are lighter solutions than this.

@dr. drib: which drivers worked for you? The one linked in the kobo downloading page?

Last edited by scatolabox; 06-26-2021 at 07:57 PM.
scatolabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 09:36 PM   #6
rmnelson
rmnelson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!rmnelson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!rmnelson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!rmnelson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!rmnelson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!rmnelson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!rmnelson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!rmnelson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!rmnelson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!rmnelson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!rmnelson , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara HD
"@rmnelson, the hub could be a great solution and thank you for your hint, but its cost is similar to an e-reader cost. I hope there are lighter solutions than this."

My investigation of the Satechi hub was superficial. I assumed that if the reader got power it would be readable and that is not what happened. I tested it initially on my wife's new M1 Mac a couple of weeks ago and the Clara HD got power. When I connected it on my new M1 this week power the Clara got power but never mounted or appeared in Calibre. I apologize for my misleading information.

What finally worked was an old Micro Innovations USB 2.0 hub I had lying around. In the end I connected the MicroInv hub to the Satechi hub which otherwise has worked flawlessly. Perhaps Kobo will eventually develop cable solutions for those of us with USB-C computers and micro USB readers.
rmnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 11:05 PM   #7
jmmcg9
Zealot
jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, iPad Pro (12.9”), iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPad Mini 5, Forma
I have an M1 MacBook Pro with a Caldigit TS3 Plus hub. For the Forma I never had any issues connecting with a micro USB cable through the hub. For my Eclipse the included USB C cable also worked through the hub. So no issues.
Thanks,
Joe

Last edited by jmmcg9; 07-01-2021 at 11:08 PM.
jmmcg9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 10:00 AM   #8
YouSleepIWatch
YouSleepIWatch began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
I recently purchased an M1 Macbook Air to replace my aging Intel Air. Now I'm running into this problem where the M1 Air doesn't see my Aura H2O. The M1 Air is running the latest Big Sur and the old Air was running Catalina but worked fine with all the previous releases.

I'm using a USB C -> USB A adapter that seems to work fine for everything I've tried it on. It was a little odd though. When I first plugged the H2O in, the dialog popped up on the reader asking whether to connect or not but the screen was frozen on the H2O and I couldn't tell it to connect. So after rebooting the reader it wouldn't connect. Then, out of the blue, when I plugged it in one time the dialog came up, I told it to connect and all was fine. I thought I was home free. But that was the first and last time I've was able to connect. It will charge the reader fine but not connect no matter what I try.

The reader was running way old v3.x firmware from 2015 so I updated it to the latest v4.26.16704 hoping that would fix the issue but it made no difference. There are some nice UI enhancements though so the upgrade wasn't for naught.

I can always use the old Air or my Mini desktop to manage the reader but it would be much more convenient to be able to use the new machine. My first inclination would be to buy a USB C -> micro USB cable and get rid of the adapter but since the adapter works fine on everything else including a USB powered drive I'm not sure that will make any difference.

Any other suggestions?
YouSleepIWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 12:28 AM   #9
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouSleepIWatch View Post

I can always use the old Air or my Mini desktop to manage the reader but it would be much more convenient to be able to use the new machine. My first inclination would be to buy a USB C -> micro USB cable and get rid of the adapter but since the adapter works fine on everything else including a USB powered drive I'm not sure that will make any difference.

Any other suggestions?
Try a cheap USB hub, as discussed above. (And of course a different data cable if you haven't done that yet.)
Old 07-18-2021, 09:52 PM   #10
YouSleepIWatch
YouSleepIWatch began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Try a cheap USB hub, as discussed above. (And of course a different data cable if you haven't done that yet.)
I ordered the cheapest ($5.99) 4 Port USB A 3.0 Mini Hub off of Amazon that I could find and it that fixed it. Funny part is, on 3 of the ports it connects fine but the 4th (the one on the end) won't connect and just charges like plugging straight into the MacBook. Regardless, I'm glad I can now manage my H2O off of my new MacBook Air.

Thanks. I would have never thought of this.
YouSleepIWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 04:43 AM   #11
meeera
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouSleepIWatch View Post
I ordered the cheapest ($5.99) 4 Port USB A 3.0 Mini Hub off of Amazon that I could find and it that fixed it.
Cool. Happy reading.
Old 07-19-2021, 03:12 PM   #12
ddavtian
Addict
ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sage, Elipsa, Oasis, Galaxy Tab 8U, S22U
Just to add my observations to this connection issue.
I have an "expensive" hub, it didn't work with Forma. I used to connect to Mac through USB-A port on monitor or through cheap hub. Later I installed NickelMenu with an option to run "force_usb_connection". With this option i'm able to connect with "expensive" hub too. I connect Forma to it, Mac doesn't recognize it, nothing on Forma itself. Then I run "force_usb_connection" through NickelMenu, it immediately shows "Computer detected" and connects. So connection is there, but for some reason it's not showing on Mac or Forma until I trigger it through menu.

Last edited by ddavtian; 07-19-2021 at 03:36 PM.
ddavtian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 08:45 PM   #13
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmnelson View Post
"
What finally worked was an old Micro Innovations USB 2.0 hub I had lying around. In the end I connected the MicroInv hub to the Satechi hub which otherwise has worked flawlessly. Perhaps Kobo will eventually develop cable solutions for those of us with USB-C computers and micro USB readers.
I don’t have an M1 Mac yet, but I’ve been studying up on this. Most people fix this issue by doing as you did and getting an old usb 2.0 hub. Something in the way Kobo and Apple individually support USB 3.0 doesn’t play well together. However, I suspect that the culprit is newer USB 3 specs on the motherboards because I have also read where new PCs also have this incompatibility issue with Kobo devices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 08:49 PM   #14
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavtian View Post
Just to add my observations to this connection issue.
I have an "expensive" hub, it didn't work with Forma. I used to connect to Mac through USB-A port on monitor or through cheap hub. Later I installed NickelMenu with an option to run "force_usb_connection". With this option i'm able to connect with "expensive" hub too. I connect Forma to it, Mac doesn't recognize it, nothing on Forma itself. Then I run "force_usb_connection" through NickelMenu, it immediately shows "Computer detected" and connects. So connection is there, but for some reason it's not showing on Mac or Forma until I trigger it through menu.

I didn’t know about that feature! Thanks for bringing it to my attention. That’ll be useful for when I’m managing sideloaded books. I won’t have to physically unplug and replug the cable into the Kobo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 05:12 AM   #15
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Note that you can force the USB pop-up even when completely unplugged, so it's not actually a good indicator that following through won't actually crash nickel or soft lock you out .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote