Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 07-08-2021, 12:18 PM   #31
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hank View Post
I've been getting the "Unfortunately com.nook.partner has stopped" popup more frequently lately, just got one at 10 AM. That's still happening after at least one software update a few weeks ago.

Also, curiously the Nook seems to bog down every evening around 11pm or midnight (Pacific time), usually requiring a restart.

Curioser and curioser.
Do you leave WiFi on? Maybe eleven is when it communicates with B&N?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 09:48 PM   #32
hank
Dinosaur
hank began at the beginning.

Device: Clie TH55, SJ30, VisorEdge, Palm3xe
Argh.

"Unfortunately, com.nook.partner has stopped" continues to annoy.

Three years. I wonder if BN has any programmers still working on Nook OS issues. Seems unlikely.

I just saw the Nook referred to somewhere as "the Betamax of e-readers"

Sigh.
hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 11:16 PM   #33
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
"Unfortunately, com.nook.partner has stopped" continues to annoy.

Three years. I wonder if BN has any programmers still working on Nook OS issues. Seems unlikely.

I just saw the Nook referred to somewhere as "the Betamax of e-readers"

Sigh.
They released the Glowlight 4 and there's talk that another reader may be on the way soonish. Hopefully that is a sign of commitment to the Nook.

However, will they go back and patch the firmware on the Glowlight 3? Fingers crossed.
Old 02-18-2022, 02:05 AM   #34
hank
Dinosaur
hank began at the beginning.

Device: Clie TH55, SJ30, VisorEdge, Palm3xe
Glowlight 4? Why didn't anybody tell me??

Oh. Because they screwed up the storage again, didn't they?

"The Nook has 29GB of available storage, although only 5GB is free for sideloading; the rest is for Nook books"
https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/barnes...ok-glowlight-4

Last edited by hank; 02-18-2022 at 01:46 PM. Reason: mild disgust
hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 01:03 PM   #35
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Glowlight 4? Why didn't anybody tell me??
New Nook Glowlight 4?

The long and the short of it:
  • 6" screen
  • Similar design to the Glowlight 3 (page turn buttons on both sides)
  • Smaller design (almost an inch shorter and a quarter of an inch narrower than the 3)
  • Faster processor, so it's faster overall
  • Eink Carta 1200 (I think it's the only 6" device using one so far?)
  • Not waterproof
  • Pretty much the same Nook firmware
Old 02-19-2022, 02:38 PM   #36
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Oh. Because they screwed up the storage again, didn't they?
Yes, they did the same as they have been doing.

I've explained in this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=344398 how you can put 28 GB of your (sideloaded) books on the Glow '21. Some have taken umbrage that any accommodation is necessary.

In any case, I think an Onyx Poke3 is a much better device unless you require on-device physical page turn keys.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 11:20 PM   #37
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
I've explained in this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=344398 how you can put 28 GB of your (sideloaded) books on the Glow '21. Some have taken umbrage that any accommodation is necessary.
Yeah, I'm one of those. It's not that I don't appreciate your explaining how to use the extra storage. But B&N should really stop with the stupid, stupid partitioning.
Old 02-20-2022, 06:41 AM   #38
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think the issue is that we are looking at this entirely differently. You're looking for the "extra" storage, I'm just looking for the storage. You're looking to get an elephant in the tiny employee's entrance. I'm saying, "I dunno, the truck bay is right over there and it's wide open."
Old 02-20-2022, 04:02 PM   #39
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
I think the issue is that we are looking at this entirely differently. You're looking for the "extra" storage, I'm just looking for the storage. You're looking to get an elephant in the tiny employee's entrance. I'm saying, "I dunno, the truck bay is right over there and it's wide open."
But alas, the allegorical truck bay isn't wide open. You have to do a bunch of steps outside the norm to get access to it.

Wide open would be: plug Nook into Calibre. Calibre sends books to wide open 32GB of storage.
Old 02-21-2022, 05:23 AM   #40
Renate
Wizard

Calibre is not the gold standard of computer connectivity.
Old 02-21-2022, 12:37 PM   #41
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
But for sideloading ebooks to readers, it is.
Old 02-21-2022, 04:22 PM   #42
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Okay, I connect to a x86 Mac without calibre. The storage shown for the Nook is not even in the neighbourhood of 28GB. I connect a Kobo Sage and get shown a 28.3GB device with 18.2GB free, I connect a Kindle Paperwhite 4 and get shown a 27.3GB device with 15.1GB free and, lastly, I plug in a Clara HD and get shown a 118GB device with 86.3GB free (the Clara HD has a 128GB µSD card installed).

Similar results on a Windows computer. So I guess neither of those qualify as the "gold standard of computer connectivity" either.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote