Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-02-2021, 06:43 AM   #61
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyôdai View Post
Again, I feel like I have made my point clear.

The purpose of the Oasis design was (according to Amazon) a "lightweight and ergonomic" reader. They achieved this by making the cover (and originally the battery) detachable, so you had something to grip on one side and to shed some weight while reading.

The original Oasis weighed only 131g (without cover), a whooping 74g less then the Paperwhite at the time and 50g less then the Voyage or other 6" readers.

What is left of this?

The ergonomics are debatable, since there is no detachable cover anymore... (And there are also quite a few people, who don't like the shape of the current Oasis.)

I am not saying the current Oasis is heavy, but again, it is not particulary "lightweight" either. It weighs 188g, almost the same as the Libra H2O (192g) and only 9g less then the Forma (197g), despite the Forma having a much bigger 8" display.

I kind of disagree with that as well.

Amazon has not touched the Oasis design in 4 years.
When they released the almost identical Oasis 3 in 2019, they did not even bother to correct their massive design flaw with the weak magnets, which might have made the Oasis concept more viable again.

I am sure, there will be some sort of successor (probably with a bigger screen), but it won't be another Oasis.
The ergonomics aren't debatable, as Kobo has copied the shape for their premium readers, the Forma and the Libra. Yes, as with anything, there are people who prefer the traditional shape, but obviously enough people like the design.

What they should change is that metal back. That indeed isn't ergonomic at all. Kobo was wise enough not to copy that.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 07:13 AM   #62
trekk
Terraner
trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Aura One, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2 ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
What they should change is that metal back. That indeed isn't ergonomic at all. Kobo was wise enough not to copy that.
I agree. But I also think that the use of metal was a clever marketing decision. Premium device for a premium price means premium material for most customers.

While I love my Libra H2O, I find my Oasis more robust and esthetically more pleasing. Imagine a MacBook Pro made of plastic ...
trekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2021, 07:49 AM   #63
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekk View Post
I agree. But I also think that the use of metal was a clever marketing decision. Premium device for a premium price means premium material for most customers.

While I love my Libra H2O, I find my Oasis more robust and esthetically more pleasing. Imagine a MacBook Pro made of plastic ...
Yeah, but you don't hold a Macbook in your hand while using it, usually.
Old 10-02-2021, 10:13 AM   #64
kyôdai
Zealot
kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
The ergonomics aren't debatable, as Kobo has copied the shape for their premium readers, the Forma and the Libra. Yes, as with anything, there are people who prefer the traditional shape, but obviously enough people like the design.

You are saying it is not debatable, but then you bring more arguments against the ergonomics (e.g. the slippery metal backside). One could almost say, you are debating them...

I don't want to dish on the Oasis (3).
It is a perfectly fine reader and I would say people bought it despite its flaws.

But when you objectively look at what the concept was supposed to be and what it is today, it simply does not make much sense to go on with it.
kyôdai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 10:19 AM   #65
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

But when you objectively look at what the concept was supposed to be and what it is today, it simply does not make much sense to go on with it.
It makes perfect sense to those who love the lopsided shape. I didn't buy the Oasis despite its shape. I bought it because I love the shape. And I certainly wouldn't buy a Paperwhite, no matter the screen size.

I guess the Oasis doesn't make much sense to those who prefer the old shape.
Advert
Old 10-02-2021, 11:53 AM   #66
trekk
Terraner
trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yeah, but you don't hold a Macbook in your hand while using it, usually.
I surely do. It's a laptop and I am resting my hands on it while typing. I touch it, when I carry it around.
Old 10-02-2021, 12:06 PM   #67
trekk
Terraner

Quote:
It makes a lot of sense to me. I love whole concept, the weight distribution, the buttons and the overall quality. I wouldn't buy a Paperwhite instead.

My guess is, the Oasis will get a slight update in the near future, but I doubt it will be discontinued.
Old 10-02-2021, 02:08 PM   #68
kyôdai
Zealot
kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, I don't know what more to tell you.

The facts are there, take them or leave them. I don't care.
Old 10-02-2021, 05:09 PM   #69
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yeah, I don't know what more to tell you.

The facts are there, take them or leave them. I don't care.
They're not facts, but your personal opinion. It's not a fact that the shape of the Oasis is not ergonomic, but your opinion.

Of course you're right that the extremely light weight via a separate battery cover was abandoned after the Oasis 1. But I have no idea why you insist that it must be applied to the later models as a general "Oasis concept". The later Oases are different devices with a different concept. Only the device name is the same.
Old 10-02-2021, 07:12 PM   #70
kyôdai
Zealot

Quote:
They're not facts, but your personal opinion. It's not a fact that the shape of the Oasis is not ergonomic, but your opinion.
Yeah, I am pretty sure, those are facts.
But don't worry, I am not gonna list them for you a fourth time, just for you to ignore again...

You don't want to see this, fine, then don't.
Old 10-02-2021, 11:55 PM   #71
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
They ditched the concept of the removable battery in Oasis 1 - but as we've said, the Oasis was still kept around for other reasons, so bringing up this old issue of a removable battery is a moot point. The shape works well - it's light, it's smooth, and it's balanced for most people - I find it much more comfortable to hold than a paperwhite. Personally I like the metal and have no idea what people mean when they say it's slippery, although I've seen several state that, it's not something I've experienced. If they do change the metal, I hope they don't go too plasticky

Last edited by Paperbackstash; 10-02-2021 at 11:57 PM.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 12:03 AM   #72
saiyogo
saiyogo began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 8 Plus, iPad Pro 10.5, Kindle Voyage
I have used a Paperwhite, a Voyage and a Oasis, all with flip covers. The Oasis is much more comfortable to hold. Most people I see (myself included) put one or two finger between the too flaps to take advantage of the uneven shape to have a firmer hold, which is quite important when you are lying in bed. This is the main reason I ditch the Voyage for an Oasis.
saiyogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 01:31 AM   #73
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
They ditched the concept of the removable battery in Oasis 1 - but as we've said, the Oasis was still kept around for other reasons, so bringing up this old issue of a removable battery is a moot point. The shape works well - it's light, it's smooth, and it's balanced for most people - I find it much more comfortable to hold than a paperwhite. Personally I like the metal and have no idea what people mean when they say it's slippery, although I've seen several state that, it's not something I've experienced. If they do change the metal, I hope they don't go too plasticky
As to metal, well, you live in Florida. Metal can get pretty cold to hold in northern climates. And when it's cold, it's also slippery.
Old 10-03-2021, 01:46 AM   #74
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yeah, I am pretty sure, those are facts.
I'm also pretty sure it's a fact that the "Oasis concept" doesn't mean a device must have a removable battery cover. It's been 4 years since that was used. Oases have been produced in all those years, with a different concept than the Oasis 1 had. That's certainly a fact. You just prefer not to see it.
Old 10-03-2021, 01:53 AM   #75
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
As to metal, well, you live in Florida. Metal can get pretty cold to hold in northern climates. And when it's cold, it's also slippery.
I've figured this was it when people are speaking of the "cold metal", which I've also never experienced except one night, where it warmed quickly after a minute of holding. Cases would come in handy if I were having that issue. Interesting it gets slippery if cold, that does make sense. I use a slipcover for mine and read without a case as I find it more pleasant that way, but if I lived somewhere freezing it may be a different story
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote