Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Other formats > IMP

Notices

Old 09-27-2008, 08:47 PM   #1
askyn
Addict
askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th Gen)
Question reguardering DRM, lit2sb and the orignial book file

Hi again all.

I just today down loaded 2 books that are in secure MSreader format.

Ive run lit2sb on them and they have converted over to imp etc just fine.

My question tho is, do the ORIGINAL lit files I down loaded contain DRM still?

Or, are they DRM free?

OR are only the IMP files DRM free?

I would like to have the ORIGNIAL lit files have the DRM removed so I can safely archive them in case i need them in the futre etc.

Any help would be gladly accepted.. thanks.
askyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 10:03 PM   #2
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by askyn View Post
My question tho is, do the ORIGINAL lit files I down loaded contain DRM still?

Or, are they DRM free?

OR are only the IMP files DRM free?
The clit executable (used with Lit2sb ) can be run with no arguments in a dos windows and you should see:
Quote:
Second, is the DOWNCONVERTING of a .LIT file down to "Sealed",
or DRM1 format for reading on handheld devices.
To downconvert, you type: clit <flags> <litfile.lit> <newlitfile.lit>
For Example:
clit "drm5 ebook.lit" ebook-open.lit
In essence, "clit downgrades the DRM level from DRM5 to DRM1, which while still "sealed", can then be read on any instance of MS Reader regardless of the MS Passport used to activate that instance of MS Reader."

The original will be left intact and the less restrictive verison (i.e. ebook-open.lit) will be what you could use, in the future.

BTW, the resulting .imp is not encrypted, by choice. You can create encrypted .imp's that only your reader could read by using the eBook Publisher software to open the resulting o_sb.opf and change the Edition Settings... | Build Options | encrypt. But why, since then the ugly DRM cycle would start all over again...

Last edited by nrapallo; 09-27-2008 at 10:09 PM.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 12:03 PM   #3
askyn
Addict
askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I tried doing what you suggested, to make it easier as i havent worked in command line for a few years I moved the files over to the lit2sb directory to make it easier.

I think opened a command window to were lit2sb is stored, and tried to run things the way you and the program suggested.

It didnt work for me =( .. here is the output from me tring. Please note that I did a directory of lit files first so you could see they are in the same directory.

here is the output:

Quote:
C:\Program Files\lit2sb>dir *.lit
Volume in drive C has no label.
Volume Serial Number is B0D8-F6F2

Directory of C:\Program Files\lit2sb

09/27/2008 05:22 PM 394,341 Elephant.lit
09/27/2008 05:22 PM 638,585 Xenogenesis.lit
2 File(s) 1,032,926 bytes
0 Dir(s) 856,742,453,248 bytes free

C:\Program Files\lit2sb>clit14 "drm5 Elephant.lit" elephant-open.lit
+---[ ConvertLIT (Version 1.8) ]---------------[ Copyright (c) 2002,2003 ]---
ConvertLIT comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details
see the COPYING file or visit "http://www.gnu.org/license/gpl.html".
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under
certain conditions. See the GPL license for details.
Error reading file "drm5 Elephant.lit" --
Unable to open file.
LIBC reports: No such file or directory

C:\Program Files\lit2sb>
Old 09-28-2008, 12:13 PM   #4
nrapallo
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I tried doing what you suggested, to make it easier as i havent worked in command line for a few years I moved the files over to the lit2sb directory to make it easier.

I think opened a command window to were lit2sb is stored, and tried to run things the way you and the program suggested.

It didnt work for me =( .. here is the output from me tring. Please note that I did a directory of lit files first so you could see they are in the same directory.

here is the output:
try this:
Quote:
clit14 drm5 Elephant.lit elephant-open.lit
The quotes, I think were, in the wrong spot from the program's output.
Old 09-28-2008, 05:51 PM   #5
askyn
Addict

Thank you for the help and suggestion.

It didnt work tho =(, it tried to find a file named DRM5

here is the output (frustrating i know and thank you for your help):

Quote:
C:\Program Files\lit2sb>dir *.lit
Volume in drive C has no label.
Volume Serial Number is B0D8-F6F2

Directory of C:\Program Files\lit2sb

09/27/2008 05:22 PM 394,341 Elephant.lit
09/27/2008 05:22 PM 638,585 Xenogenesis.lit
2 File(s) 1,032,926 bytes
0 Dir(s) 856,733,179,904 bytes free

C:\Program Files\lit2sb>clit14 drm5 Elephant.lit elephant-open.lit
+---[ ConvertLIT (Version 1.8) ]---------------[ Copyright (c) 2002,2003 ]---
ConvertLIT comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details
see the COPYING file or visit "http://www.gnu.org/license/gpl.html".
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under
certain conditions. See the GPL license for details.
Error reading file "drm5" --
Unable to open file.
LIBC reports: No such file or directory

C:\Program Files\lit2sb>
Old 09-28-2008, 07:17 PM   #6
askyn
Addict

well i still couldnt get the command line to work for some reason, so i downloaded the clit gui and used that.

it works fine and de-drm ed my 2 books just fine .. strange tho.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:25 PM   #7
nrapallo

Quote:
well i still couldnt get the command line to work for some reason, so i downloaded the clit gui and used that.

it works fine and de-drm ed my 2 books just fine .. strange tho.
Good to see you got it to work.

You probably would have "gravitated" to using the GUI anyways; just got there a bit earlier I guess...

I think i now understand how to do it in a dos window. Just for your info, I think the command is just three words, i.e.:
Quote:
clit14 Elephant.lit elephant-open.lit
I think the original program's printout was trying to stress that the first file would be the drm5 .lit (and if it had spaces in the filename you would enclosed it with double-quotes) and the second .lit was the "sealed", but open one.

Sorry, for putting you through dos hell, but I've never bought a drm .lit and had never used that feature. Oh well, it's academic now that you found the "better way" to do this!

Last edited by nrapallo; 09-28-2008 at 09:28 PM.
Old 09-28-2008, 10:29 PM   #8
askyn
Addict

thanks .. yeah in the long run im sure id have moved to the gui anyway.

Reason im buying in LIT format is ive read its the easist to covert from later on if i change reader types etc.

Oh well =)

Im very happy wit the bookwise rightnow, would love it if they updated the hardware to make use of the new memory cards and maybe better battery life but other then that its a fantastic machine!
Old 09-28-2008, 10:41 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you are using ConvertLIT to explode the LIT in order to convert it, use lit2oeb instead. It has less bugs. Once the RM is removed, lit2oeb will work better.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote