Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-22-2016, 02:05 PM   #76
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
What enhancements or improvements do you see in the new interface?
I like it overall. It seems fresher and cleaner. Easier to navigate. The old website was looking outdated. I still have the advanced search functions that I rely upon.

I especially like that when you search on an author it now shows books that are available to recommend. That used to be extra clicks.

Many people complained that they didn't like the availability icon in the corner over the book cover image, and they've fixed that by making it a text banner at the top of the image. I was not bothered by the old way.

My main complaint is just that the images are too big and fill up too much of the screen on my phone and mini-tablet causing more scrolling.

Last edited by Bookworm_Girl; 10-22-2016 at 02:07 PM.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 02:53 PM   #77
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
There are some extra things to sort with on the left bar like stuff that was recommended, I assume from other patrons and a few other things. Bookworm Girl mentioned some of them. Huge selection of genres to pick from, more intuitive overall I think. Cleaner and stuff now takes less steps. Its better to look and try it out for yourself though. Its hard for me to explain some of the stuff.

The book images are pretty large. I use a netbook often and I have everything set to larger as it is so I can see the screens. But I think I will like it. If my local library didn't use the screaming neon fushia that is.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2016, 03:55 PM   #78
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One of my libraries has an orange theme and the other is blue. Fuchsia sounds a bit obnoxious. Here are screenshots of my desktop for both the new Overdrive and 3M. Overdrive has 12 books on display whereas 3M has 30. The old Overdrive had 18 books.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Overdrive New.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	152526   Click image for larger version

Name:	Overdrive Old.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	978.4 KB
ID:	152527   Click image for larger version

Name:	Desktop 3M.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	152528  
Old 10-22-2016, 04:45 PM   #79
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I like it overall. It seems fresher and cleaner. Easier to navigate. The old website was looking outdated. I still have the advanced search functions that I rely upon.

I especially like that when you search on an author it now shows books that are available to recommend. That used to be extra clicks.

Many people complained that they didn't like the availability icon in the corner over the book cover image, and they've fixed that by making it a text banner at the top of the image. I was not bothered by the old way.

My main complaint is just that the images are too big and fill up too much of the screen on my phone and mini-tablet causing more scrolling.
Website designers these days apparently think bigger is better. It seems whenever any site I visit regularly is redesigned, pictures and text both get bigger. I often have to use the browser's zoom function (this is on a desktop PC, I rarely use a tablet) to reduce the size to what I consider useable. What I really hate is when a site uses multiple sizes of text and images and I have to keep changing the zoom level up and down to read different parts of the site.

Thank goodness for the Mobileread forums which have kept the same design ever since I joined several years ago!
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 05:53 PM   #80
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
Thank goodness for the Mobileread forums which have kept the same design ever since I joined several years ago!
You just HAD to say it...
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2016, 05:55 PM   #81
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravensknight View Post
You just HAD to say it...
I hope I haven't jinxed us!
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 06:18 PM   #82
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:

Where do you see advanced search?
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 06:25 PM   #83
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

The word Advanced is still under the Search box at the top of the screen like before. Just click on the word.

Looks like there is one thing missing that I didn't notice before. It doesn't allow you to search by awards anymore.
Old 10-22-2016, 06:31 PM   #84
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The word Advanced is still under the Search box at the top of the screen like before. Just click on the word.

Looks like there is one thing missing that I didn't notice before. It doesn't allow you to search by awards anymore.
Mine doesn't have it.

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1477175630897.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	231.0 KB
ID:	152531
Old 10-22-2016, 06:41 PM   #85
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Your header looks different than mine. My library logo is to the left along with buttons for searching "Subjects" and "Collections". A search box is in the middle with the word Advanced underneath. Then account info, feedback & help are on the right.
Old 10-22-2016, 06:41 PM   #86
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

I just found advanced search. It isn't available unless you are in landscape. There seems to be a lot of websites that don't have options shown unless you are in landscape.

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1477176261927.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	228.6 KB
ID:	152532
Old 10-22-2016, 06:47 PM   #87
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

The one thing that I do like better about the new search is the Availability option that has "coming soon". That makes it easier to get on the hold list early - a great option for popular books.
Old 10-22-2016, 07:00 PM   #88
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Your header looks different than mine. My library logo is to the left along with buttons for searching "Subjects" and "Collections". A search box is in the middle with the word Advanced underneath. Then account info, feedback & help are on the right.
"Subjects" and "Collections", account info, feedback & help are all under the menu on the right next to the books.
Old 10-22-2016, 07:57 PM   #89
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Quote:
The one thing that I do like better about the new search is the Availability option that has "coming soon". That makes it easier to get on the hold list early - a great option for popular books.
Yes this. I keep missing upcoming releases and so keep ending on the bottom of the list with like a gazillion folks in front of me in upcoming stuff. I hope this helps me to catch them a bit sooner.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 09:05 PM   #90
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Maybe they think making library ebook lending less desirable will lead to more sales?
To Amazon!
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote