Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-30-2009, 11:15 AM   #1
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma
advocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony 350, 650, 950, Nook Color
Daily Edition Release Date Rumors????

Have any Mobilread detectives, investigators or researchers come up with any news about the Daily Edition release date? It seems to have been quiet lately.

Last edited by advocate2; 10-13-2009 at 10:26 AM.
advocate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:03 AM   #2
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma
advocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the rough

Nothing? Nada? Are we still expecting it for the Holidays?
Advert
Old 10-09-2009, 10:40 AM   #3
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
I think "December" is all that we know so far.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 04:06 AM   #4
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
I understood it was december for the US but still an undefinite date for Europe. I am wrong, or is there some news on this?

After the (in my opinion) international kindle ripoff offer, I am now looking only at the PRS-900 and the options offered for Europeans.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:25 AM   #5
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma

It will have to start shipping in the next few weeks if Sony wants it in stores by Thanksgiving. Given the lack of updates from Sony, I doubt they will make it. The web site just says "Coming Soon". Not very promising. I was dubious when the NY Public Library unveiling event only had a mock-up on display, not a working model. With my local library increasing its ebook holdings every day, I find myself using my 505 more and my DX less. I really am looking forward to a larger model to read library ebooks.
Advert
Old 10-13-2009, 10:47 AM   #6
fghxu
fghxu began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 600
A little off topic.
But, why not consider the IRex DR800SG? It is suppose be on the market by the end of this month. I changed my mind from Sony Daily Edition to this device after I watch the youtube video and specification of this device. Totally impressed.
fghxu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:54 AM   #7
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma

If the user feedback on the IRex comes back positive, I might go that route. There seems to be mixed reports on IRex bugs on previous models and the lack of support.

On the other hand, if Amazon just came out with an firmware update for my DX that allowed it read Epub or PDF drm'd books, then I wouldn't need another device at all.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:07 PM   #8
Grandma Aubbie
Grandma Aubbie
Grandma Aubbie doesn't litterGrandma Aubbie doesn't litterGrandma Aubbie doesn't litter

Device: sony 600
Exclamation Daily Edition shows up at Sony-Style

I just happened to be out at the Sony Site today and noticed that the Daily Edition is up. It can't be ordered yet (projected to release in December), but you can get a "Notify me" ...

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665981151
Grandma Aubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 06:05 PM   #9
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
The page has been up for more than a month, I think.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 10:10 AM   #10
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma

I spoke with Sony customer service over the weekend and asked about availability of the Daily Edition. The rep said they were still trying to get it out before Xmas. I doubt they will make it. They would have to start shipping very soon to have any meaningful inventory in stores for Holiday sales. Keep in mind that no one has even seen a working model yet. I think the best we are likely to see is the acceptance of orders on the website before Christmas.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:04 PM   #11
jswinden
Nameless Being

After they released the 300 and 600, it took a long time before stores like Best Buy actually displayed them. Best Buy had them in stock for a couple of weeks before they displayed them. So I have to agree that getting one by Xmas from a retailer is pretty slim. You might be able to get one through the Sony Store if they release them in time.

Another thing to consider is that if they cannot give a definate time frame for release, then they are probably encountering problems with suppliers, software, hardware, or something. That alone will make me extra cautious about ordering one before seeing what actual users have to say.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:44 PM   #12
bruba
bruba began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Another thing to consider is that if they cannot give a definate time frame for release, then they are probably encountering problems with suppliers, software, hardware, or something. That alone will make me extra cautious about ordering one before seeing what actual users have to say.
I wouldn't say that. These products take months, sometimes years to produce. It's pretty common to get the release date not too long before release. They simply don't know yet.

You could also think they just want to make sure they bring a perfect product to market. You don't want to rush a sloppy product when there's good competition. We just don't know.
bruba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 08:52 AM   #13
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I called Sony Style yesterday to ask about the Daily Edition. I wanted to know if they had a release date yet and whether it would support Adobe ADE version 9.1 which includes both Adobe's ePub DRM wrapper and B&N's wrapper. The answers were
  1. December for the release date, nothing more specific, and
  2. Don't know because the manual hasn't been released yet.

I suggested that both bits of information should be posted on their website as quickly as possible because several new devices are hitting the market sooner -- the nook and the iRex 800 -- both of which are said to support both flavors of ePub DRM. Otherwise Sony is likely to lose sales for the holiday to competing devices.

Needless to say, Sony was noncomittal.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:56 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
and whether it would support Adobe ADE version 9.1 which includes both Adobe's ePub DRM wrapper and B&N's wrapper.
Has that version of ADE actually been released yet?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 01:36 PM   #15
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Has that version of ADE actually been released yet?
As far as I know, no. I think it is due to be released either December or 1Q 2010. Nothing is very clear about its release date or what the hold up is.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote