Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 12-12-2023, 04:46 PM   #1
tatteredscroll
Enthusiast
tatteredscroll will become famous soon enoughtatteredscroll will become famous soon enoughtatteredscroll will become famous soon enoughtatteredscroll will become famous soon enoughtatteredscroll will become famous soon enoughtatteredscroll will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle
Question Sharing books by email

Does the Sharing books by email feature only work on News items that have been downloaded? If say "only share epubs with specific tag xyz" and I add an .epub to the library and set tag to xyz, will it be shared via email even though it's not a news epub?
tatteredscroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 05:37 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
News is the only Automatic sharing.
Right click on a Book:email to: ...

You must have configured the format , recipient ... in Preferences:Sharing over the net.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2023, 07:25 PM   #3
tatteredscroll
Enthusiast
tatteredscroll will become famous soon enoughtatteredscroll will become famous soon enoughtatteredscroll will become famous soon enoughtatteredscroll will become famous soon enoughtatteredscroll will become famous soon enoughtatteredscroll will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
News is the only Automatic sharing.
Right click on a Book:email to: ...

You must have configured the format , recipient ... in Preferences:Sharing over the net.
All that is configured and working with downloaded News digests that I've subscribed to. Works great which is why I was hoping to use it as an automated way to send other books/files. Bummer.

Another option I came up with is to use calibre-smtp. Couldn't find any actual examples of using calibre-smtp and this actually worked for me so wanted to share. Not crazy about providing plain-text password, but it is app specific, so that should limit it's abilities. And I will probably put it in a restricted shell-script to run via cron. I should probably post this in recipes or admin can move.

My workflow now would be 1) browsing web, see an article I want to read/save for later 2) use the remarkable save as epub browser extension (i posted about this on reddit, it's more customizable than send-to-kindle and has nicer formatting) saving to a specific directory 4) nightly cron job will use ebook-meta to change all files to author "webarticle" or similar 5) move all files to another folder that calibre is monitoring for auto-ingest into the library which can sync to kindle over USB **OR** after ebook-meta is run, email epubs as attachments with proper sleep between each iteration sending the book 6) remove epubs.

Reason I want to email epub to kindle is to allow for annotation and highlighting which would then be usable by another application or service.

I'm also want to test epubmerge [https://github.com/JimmXinu/EpubMerge] as well so that it would be more of a digest of articles and instead of running a nightly cron job make it weekly.

calibre-smtp -v youremail@outlook.com username_RghIk@kindle.com article -a ~/Documents/fromBrave/doc1-test.epub -r outlook.com -p 587 -u youremail@outlook.com -p appspecificpassword

Last edited by tatteredscroll; 12-12-2023 at 07:31 PM.
Old 12-12-2023, 08:57 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
What is a Bummer?
Set up destination profiles as needed (EPUB for my Kobo).
Right click the book in the book list:send by... to ,profile>
I don't think anyone accepts bulk sends. they must be spaced ou by a few minutes
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 09:11 PM   #5
tatteredscroll
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
What is a Bummer?
Set up destination profiles as needed (EPUB for my Kobo).
Right click the book in the book list:send by... to ,profile>
I don't think anyone accepts bulk sends. they must be spaced ou by a few minutes
Not performing bulk sends. Doing the same thing as Calibre, just via the CLI. Send epub to kindle, wait 5 minutes, send next epub to kindle, wait five minutes, so forth and so on.

I've now got my shell script built with the added ebook-meta changes I wanted. To get around the send, wait, send, wait cycle, I'm going to use EpubMerge on five epubs created from website articles and send the one merged file. EpubMerge should create a TOC for each one to have that Calibre News look and feel.
Advert

Tags
epub, news download, sharing ebooks