Notices

Old 02-25-2018, 07:14 AM   #16
K8HW
Connoisseur
K8HW began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy A03s, Galaxy Tab A, Kindle Paperwhite (10th Gen), Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
Reinstall 3.17 and see if the slow performance comes back?
I reinstalled 3.17. Has the same problem. Installed 3.18. Same problem. So I am back on 3.16.

3.16 does take longer to load that I remember, but not nearly as long as 3.17 or 3.18. It's probably something with Windows 10. Not my favorite 'service.'

Once any version is finally loaded everything is fine. Linux is starting to look better every day.

~Dave
K8HW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 07:22 AM   #17
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Try temporarily disabling your antivirus and seeing if it makes a difference (disconnect from the internet first).
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2018, 01:00 PM   #18
K8HW
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Try temporarily disabling your antivirus and seeing if it makes a difference (disconnect from the internet first).
No change!

~Dave
Old 02-25-2018, 01:19 PM   #19
DaltonST
Deviser
DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Try overriding what Temp directory Calibre is using via the Environment variable CALIBRE_TEMP_DIR.

Https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/customize.html#id1

The purpose of the above would be to ensure that any aggressive file cleaner that you run automatically is not deleting newly created Calibre temporary files.

Calibre Version 3.17 had the change "Store temporary files used by the editor and viewer in the cache directory to try to prevent errors caused by 'file cleaner' programs deleting temporary files still in use", but you have not mentioned either the editor or the viewer.

You also have not indicated whether or not you are running as an Administrator or User.

DaltonST

Last edited by DaltonST; 02-25-2018 at 03:03 PM. Reason: More Info.
DaltonST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 01:37 PM   #20
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K8HW View Post
No change!

~Dave
Hmm I have to say I'm stumped...
Advert
Old 02-25-2018, 01:41 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've not seen Calibre 3.17 take longer to load than 3.16.

I'm using Windows 10 Home 64-bit on my laptop with 8GB of ram. I'm using Calibre 64-bit.

What is your setup that's acting up?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 03:16 PM   #22
DaltonST
Deviser
DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You debug log is abnormal in that if were not manually edited by you personally prior to posting, it appears that Calibre began to start, and then started over from the beginning. See the extract of your log below. However, if you did redact it, you really need to attach the original debug log from a single execution of Calibre with debug turned on.

Code:
calibre Debug log
calibre 3.17 [64bit]  embedded-python: True is64bit: True
Windows-10-10.0.16299-SP0 Windows ('64bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '10', '10.0.16299')
Python 2.7.12+
Windows: ('10', '10.0.16299', 'SP0', u'Multiprocessor Free')
Interface language: None
Successfully initialized third party plugins: DeDRM (6, 5, 3) && Find Duplicates (1, 6, 3) && Audit Log (1, 0, 8) && EpubMerge (2, 1, 1) && Quality Check (1, 9, 11) && Barnes & Noble (1, 2, 14) && Goodreads (1, 1, 13) && Reading List (1, 6, 6) && Count Pages (1, 8, 0) && Goodreads Sync (1, 11, 0)
calibre 3.17 [64bit]  embedded-python: True is64bit: True
Windows-10-10.0.16299-SP0 Windows ('64bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '10', '10.0.16299')
Python 2.7.12+
Windows: ('10', '10.0.16299', 'SP0', u'Multiprocessor Free')
Successfully initialized third party plugins: DeDRM (6, 5, 3) && Find Duplicates (1, 6, 3) && Audit Log (1, 0, 8) && EpubMerge (2, 1, 1) && Quality Check (1, 9, 11) && Barnes & Noble (1, 2, 14) && Goodreads (1, 1, 13) && Reading List (1, 6, 6) && Count Pages (1, 8, 0) && Goodreads Sync (1, 11, 0)
DaltonST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 03:16 PM   #23
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

↑ ↑ ↑ - yeah I noticed that too. I wondered if it was something to do with autostarting the Version 3.x server, which is something I don't do.

@K8HW - Did you try DaltonST's suggestions in post#19,

Your problem has the hallmarks of a 3rd party program 'intervening', if you haven't already done so, try one or both of these techniques to isolate the culprit:
  • use Task Manager to disable all Start-up Tasks and then run calibre 3.18,
  • run calibre 3.18 under Windows in Safe Mode.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 02-25-2018 at 03:22 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 01:31 PM   #24
K8HW
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
↑ ↑ ↑ - yeah I noticed that too. I wondered if it was something to do with autostarting the Version 3.x server, which is something I don't do.

@K8HW - Did you try DaltonST's suggestions in post#19,

Your problem has the hallmarks of a 3rd party program 'intervening', if you haven't already done so, try one or both of these techniques to isolate the culprit:
  • use Task Manager to disable all Start-up Tasks and then run calibre 3.18,
  • run calibre 3.18 under Windows in Safe Mode.

BR
First of all I want to thank all of you for your assistance. I couldn't figure out how to play with the temp variable. I couldn't even to figure out how to start up in safe mode!

Apparently the problem is Windows 10. (big surprise)

The log file was NOT edited. I have included a recent log file. It shows the same stuff.

Now I have a ridiculous observation. Calibre starts every time in under 3 seconds if I have the Windows 10 stopwatch running in order to time Calibre. Makes absolutely no sense. If I don't have the stop watch running Calibre takes close to three minutes to start.

~Dave

EDIT. I have included the startup log (BAD Calibre log,txt) for when Calibre takes 87 seconds to start up. Look nearly identical to me!
Attached Files
File Type: txt Calibre log.txt (1.9 KB, 145 views)
File Type: txt BAD Calibre log.txt (1.9 KB, 148 views)

Last edited by K8HW; 02-26-2018 at 04:45 PM.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:36 PM   #25
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Do you have the splash screen enabled and does it make a difference if you disable it in Preferences->Look & feel
Old 02-27-2018, 12:49 AM   #26
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I did some tests - following is what is logged if I use Preferences->Restart in debug mode.

Code:
calibre Debug log
calibre 3.16 [64bit]  embedded-python: True is64bit: True
Windows-10-10.0.15063-SP0 Windows ('64bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '10', '10.0.15063')
Python 2.7.12+
Windows: ('10', '10.0.15063', 'SP0', u'Multiprocessor Free')
DEBUG:    0.0 GetFileName::__init__.py - loading translations
Successfully initialized third party plugins: User Category (1, 5, 3) && Job Spy (1, 0, 97) && Goodreads (1, 1, 13) && Extract ISBN (1, 4, 4) && Quality Check (1, 9, 11) && Count Pages (1, 8, 0) && Drop Search Results (1, 0, 8) && Reading List (1, 6, 6) && Find Duplicates (1, 6, 3) && View Manager (1, 3, 2) && Modify ePub (1, 3, 13) && Generate Cover (1, 5, 21) && Favourites Menu (1, 0, 4) && Resize Cover (1, 0, 3) && EpubSplit (2, 3, 0) && Beam Ebooks (1, 0, 0) && Barnes & Noble (1, 2, 14) && GetFileName (0, 0, 12)
Python 2.7.12+
Successfully initialized third party plugins: User Category (1, 5, 3) && Job Spy (1, 0, 97) && Goodreads (1, 1, 13) && Extract ISBN (1, 4, 4) && Quality Check (1, 9, 11) && Count Pages (1, 8, 0) && Drop Search Results (1, 0, 8) && Reading List (1, 6, 6) && Find Duplicates (1, 6, 3) && View Manager (1, 3, 2) && Modify ePub (1, 3, 13) && Generate Cover (1, 5, 21) && Favourites Menu (1, 0, 4) && Resize Cover (1, 0, 3) && EpubSplit (2, 3, 0) && Beam Ebooks (1, 0, 0) && Barnes & Noble (1, 2, 14) && GetFileName (0, 0, 12)
Turning on automatic hidpi scaling
devicePixelRatio: 1.0
logicalDpi: 120.0 x 120.0
physicalDpi: 123.385199241 x 123.567567568
Using calibre Qt style: True
Starting up...
Job Spy has begun initialization...
author_sort_copy_method >>> default tweaks.py method is:  copy
author_sort_copy_method changed FROM:  copy  TO:  comma
Calibre, and hence Job Spy, was gracefully shut down last time?  True
Last time daemon started:  never
Last time daemon failed:  never
Total daemon starts inception_to_date:  0
Total daemon failures inception-to-date:  0
Job Spy has finished initialization...
Started up in 2.43 seconds with 3 books
Interestingly, there's some debug printf's from GetFileName in the first 'start', but not in the second.

And this is what I get if I run "calibre-debug -g 1 >> calibrelog.txt 2>&1" from a command line.

Code:
Python 2.7.12+
Successfully initialized third party plugins: Extract ISBN (1, 4, 4) && Beam Ebooks (1, 0, 0) && Drop Search Results (1, 0, 8) && Count Pages (1, 8, 0) && Favourites Menu (1, 0, 4) && Goodreads (1, 1, 13) && Resize Cover (1, 0, 3) && Quality Check (1, 9, 11) && Modify ePub (1, 3, 13) && Generate Cover (1, 5, 21) && Barnes & Noble (1, 2, 14) && EpubSplit (2, 3, 0) && Reading List (1, 6, 6) && Job Spy (1, 0, 97) && GetFileName (0, 0, 12) && Find Duplicates (1, 6, 3) && View Manager (1, 3, 2) && User Category (1, 5, 3)
Turning on automatic hidpi scaling
devicePixelRatio: 1.0
logicalDpi: 120.0 x 120.0
physicalDpi: 123.385199241 x 123.567567568
Using calibre Qt style: True
Starting up...
libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile
Job Spy has begun initialization...
author_sort_copy_method >>> default tweaks.py method is:  copy
author_sort_copy_method changed FROM:  copy  TO:  comma
Calibre, and hence Job Spy, was gracefully shut down last time?  True
Last time daemon started:  never
Last time daemon failed:  never
Total daemon starts inception_to_date:  0
Total daemon failures inception-to-date:  0
libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile
Job Spy has finished initialization...
Started up in 2.52 seconds with 3 books
I've not noticed the 'stuttering start' being logged before, but I rarely start in debug mode, from the command line or via Shift+Ctrl+R. When I first saw the OPs log I thought -- that looks a bit odd, but I shrugged and moved on.

Turning the splash screen on increased start times from 2.xx secs to 5.xx secs.

Yes I'm still using 3.16, I'm awaiting for any further developments re Split Book List and View Manager, I use an old version of View Manager and I haven't had time to see how it interacts with Split List.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 01:02 AM   #27
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

The double startup output in the gui debug log is normal, it's an artifact of how debug restarts work.
Old 02-27-2018, 01:12 AM   #28
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I've also added some more debug prints to the startup code, which should give us some more info on what exactly is taking so much time. If I had to guess, I'd guess it is that the startup uses a 1 millisecond single-shot timer to proceed with initialization, I suspect for some reason that timer is hanging on K8HW's system, this would explain why it doesn't happen when running the windows stopclock.
Old 02-27-2018, 06:27 AM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by K8HW View Post
I couldn't even to figure out how to start up in safe mode!
Here is how to start Windows 10 in safe mode.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/...c-in-safe-mode
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 06:47 AM   #30
K8HW
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Do you have the splash screen enabled and does it make a difference if you disable it in Preferences->Look & feel
I disabled the splash screen and Calibre's startup is back to normal. A big improvement. I wonder what has changed as I have had the splash screen enabled for the last 6 years.

~Dave