Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Other formats

Notices

Old 04-02-2013, 10:09 AM   #1
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
"Fixed" e-book format?

Hi All,

Numilog, a French e-book seller, is proposing some comic books in a format called "fixed" which they claim is "optimized" for tablet viewing. I downloaded a free comic and I don't see any difference with pdf, except that it can (apparently) only be opened with the Numilog apps. And I assume it is DRMed of course.

Has anybody heard of a format called "fixed"? I suspect that it's a proprietary format, in which case I should probably write a stern letter to them, though I will probably be too lazy to do it. DRM is bad enough but proprietary DRM, well...
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:07 PM   #2
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
It is most likely a "Fixed Layout EPUB":

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Fixed_layout_ePub
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2013, 02:10 PM   #3
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, yes, that could be it. Although in this case I fail to see what the added value is compared to a PDF: the book has no table of content, no searchable or selectable text. Basically it's just a series of images. And it doesn't use Adobe's DRM, which as much as I dislike it at least is readable on several devices and apps. Here I can only use Numilog's apps. Oh we'll, I already knew that I wouldn't want to pay for a file like this.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:43 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
It is most likely a "Fixed Layout EPUB":

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Fixed_layout_ePub
It's not possible to be fixed layout ePub as the standard is still not quite there yet. Everyone's version is different and even though they call it ePub, it's not.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:06 PM   #5
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
Although in this case I fail to see what the added value is compared to a PDF: [...] Here I can only use Numilog's apps. Oh we'll, I already knew that I wouldn't want to pay for a file like this.
It could also be some proprietary (flash?) based program or a "book app" that Numilog paid an app developer to come up with. (I am just making guesses?)

I personally would stay very far away from any books that are locked down in such a way.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2013, 02:45 PM   #6
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

I downloaded iExplorer to see the file on my iPad. Turns out it's a pdf file, but when I open it on my Mac the pages are all blank. I should really write to them to let them know what I think of their "optimized" format, which incidentally is not readable on any other app than theirs. And I'd like to know how exactly the format is "optimized" when the app doesn't even offer an option to crop the white margins in order to better see the image.