Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-15-2011, 11:42 PM   #46
emmad
Enthusiast
emmad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emmad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emmad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emmad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emmad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emmad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emmad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emmad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emmad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emmad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emmad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If you don't want to see it, turn it off. Go to "Settings" and turn off the "Popular Highlights" setting. It's on the 2nd page of "Settings".
Ohh thanks for that
emmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 03:55 AM   #47
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'm confused... which one was I doing by expecting people to read a contract and make a conscious, well thought-out decision on whether or not they see any potential stumbling blocks with the terms of the contract before signing it?
I think it is perfectly reasonably to make a conscious decision that a particular contract term is almost certainly unenforceable, and rather than argue about it before getting the job (which almost certainly means you wouldn't get it), instead wait to see if it is a problem, and then argue about it.
Employers and employees are not negotiating from equal positions.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2011, 07:10 AM   #48
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
In other news, I'm tired of all this sex on the television...
MUST.....RESIST.....SMART.....A$$.....POST.......
CAN'T....STOP...

Well try it on something softer then!

I'm sooo weak.....sorry
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:55 AM   #49
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Employers and employees are not negotiating from equal positions.
When have they ever?
And why should that fact justify knowingly bargaining in bad faith, anyway?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 08:11 AM   #50
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
When have they ever?
And why should that fact justify knowingly bargaining in bad faith, anyway?
If a term of an EULA, or a disclaimer in a movie, or book, was such that you knew it was unenforceable in your jurisdiction, would you refuse to use the software, view the movie, read the book?
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2011, 08:29 AM   #51
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If a term of an EULA, or a disclaimer in a movie, or book, was such that you knew it was unenforceable in your jurisdiction, would you refuse to use the software, view the movie, read the book?
If your aunt had testicles, would she be your uncle? We were discussing employment contracts, not end-user TOS check-boxes. I don't willingly/knowingly violate any agreement that I put my signature to (or shake a hand over).
Old 08-16-2011, 08:35 AM   #52
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Quote:
If your aunt had testicles, would she be your uncle?
*snorts water through nose*

I don't normally like those little emoticons as a substitute for laughter, but I have to...

afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 08:43 AM   #53
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Regarding the (off-topic) debate, both sides have valid points (like any good debate, I guess).

On the one hand, I, too, would argue that people should be aware enough of their contracts to make an informed decision as to whether or not they can live up to the terms and conditions. And, failing that, have a fairly weak argument of injustice.

On the other, as others have said, employers and employees are not equal. The latter, quite often, might not be in a situation where they cannot pick and choose contracts to accept, nor be in a position where they have any power to negotiate terms.

Moral of the story - don't get caught!
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:50 AM   #54
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
I don't willingly/knowingly violate any agreement that I put my signature to (or shake a hand over).
I thought you were one of the experts on Kindle DRM cracking.

Quote:
If your aunt had testicles, would she be your uncle?
Ooh! I actually know the answer to this one. It depends on which country your aunt resides in -- different countries classify hermaphrodites differently. I saw a documentary once.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:06 AM   #55
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Just my 2 cents.

I agree with DiapDealer, you should not sign something that you have every plan to break. I have been faced with contracts that I do not agree with. In every single case I have drawn a line through the offending item and initialed it. I also may write a small note stating that I do not agree to this term. It is now up to the other party to accept your terms or not.

No, employers and employees are not on the same page. That does not take away your ability to negotiate for yourself. It makes no sense to get yourself in that situation. While it is difficult to say, maybe you do not need to accept that job. If you have to have that particular job so much...then you need to abide by your working contract. You can't have it both ways.

Personal integrity is not always the easy way to go but it will always be a better bedfellow than regret.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:09 AM   #56
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer
I don't willingly/knowingly violate any agreement that I put my signature to (or shake a hand over).
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll
I thought you were one of the experts on Kindle DRM cracking.
That's my identical internet cousin, but if it were me... where is the inconsistency? I worded my statement very carefully, specifically because I foresaw the inevitability of this question arising. Not to mention that he (my cousin) wouldn't dream of crying foul later on if he were ever to run into legal problems because of his activities. He understands the consequences fully.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:09 AM   #57
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post
Personal integrity is not always the easy way to go but it will always be a better bedfellow than regret.
I have no regrets when breaking a contract/TOS/agreement/oath/etc. that I consider to be given under duress and not within the rights of the other party to demand in the first place.

So I guess I'd say I take a third option. But then I'm Chaotic Good. My Lawful Neutral husband would probably agree with ya'll.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:14 AM   #58
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
That's my identical internet cousin, but if it were me... where is the inconsistency? I worded my statement very carefully, specifically because I foresaw the inevitability of this question arising. Not to mention that he (my cousin) wouldn't dream of crying foul later on if he were ever to run into legal problems because of his activities. He understands the consequences fully.
I guess the inconsistency would be your careful hewing to any hand-signed agreement, but not so much to a certain digitally-signed agreement?

Also, there's a bit of a goalpost-moving from "I don't violate my word" to "I won't complain if caught". To the best of my knowledge, these teachers didn't complain, either -- *I* am.

None of my business -- again, Chaotic Good -- but I do think there's a certain amount of privilege in this thread that isn't helping the issue.

I think being fired from a job in this day and age for drinking a beer at a BBQ is a heinous act on the part of the employer and should be actionable in court, because the fired person could lose their house and sink into debt for the rest of their life. (That's not even touching the health care issues.) And the fact of the matter is, no one can live to a perfect GODLY LIFE STANDARD -- that's sort of the POINT of Christianity, if I understand the religion properly.

I also think the government has the responsibility to protect its citizens from unfair termination of employment -- if only because a healthy republic isn't built on the backs of the homeless, the hopelessly indebted, and the chronically ill.

Saying, therefore, that the person fired should basically have known better and had a certain brand of "I don't violate paper contracts, but I do break DRM on the weekends" morality is not especially sympathetic-towards-the-wronged-person or helpful-to-the-republic-in-question. It's really only helpful towards the employers who benefit from being able to abuse and dominate people.

I'll bow out of this now because, as you say, I value our friendship.

Last edited by anamardoll; 08-16-2011 at 10:29 AM.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:31 AM   #59
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I truly think you're missing my overall, uber-point here:
If you sign a contract knowing full well that you're going to breach it at some point... fine and dandy. But you forfeit the right to bitch about it if/when you get caught in that breach.

So while my apparent breaching of various TOS's might seem to be contradictory (and may in fact be), that doesn't change the fact that I am completely culpable for that breach. And I wouldn't dream of telling my prosecutors that "you had no right to put that clause in there in the first place!"
Old 08-16-2011, 10:42 AM   #60
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Well, if it just boils down to "don't get caught and don't complain if caught"... I don't know of any teachers who did complain once caught. It was in the news in each case that I saw, but more as a journalist running down the story rather than the teacher ringing up the local news network.

I brought up the point not as a "they should be allowed to complain" but rather "this should not be legal". I really don't care if people complain or not -- up to them.

But that's a far cry from I NEVAR BREAK MY WORD LEST I LOSE HONOR AND DISEMBOWEL MYSELF. Which is what some of this thread sounded like. (Not all from you, I might add.)

Tags
amazon, kindle, social networking