Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Have your purchases of ebooks increased because of library useage?
Yes, I now buy more books than before 15 23.44%
No, I now buy fewer books than before 19 29.69%
I buy the same number of books as always 21 32.81%
I don't buy any books - I get them all from the library 6 9.38%
I don't know how to get library books on my ereader 6 9.38%
I download mostly from Mobileread 2 3.13%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-08-2011, 06:46 AM   #16
davedonelson
davedonelson began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Love those libraries

A confession: I'm a library system trustee, so I'm a heavy library user and my first choice is always to check the online catalog to see if what I want is there. We have a great system with 38 libraries in a co-op so within a couple of days I can get just about anything. We also provide downloadable audio books and ebooks, although the collection is growing slowly.
When I got my kindle, however, I found myself buying books that I wanted to keep and delve into repeatedly over time. A prime example is the Autobiography of Mark Twain, which I could have checked out from the library (after a wait) but would have to return. And, because the ebook edition is cheaper than hard copies, I buy more of them.
davedonelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:01 AM   #17
minspargal
Enthusiast
minspargal doesn't litterminspargal doesn't litter

Device: sony reader
I buy less now that i can download from the library. We also have an inter library loan system where you can request just about any book.
minspargal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2011, 09:35 AM   #18
jehane
Book addict
jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300/T1/Asus TF101
Since I used my local libraries extensively before I bought my Sony, it hasn't changed my purchasing patterns. There aren't many that I'll buy new, and if anything, having access to cheap ebooks (courtesy of frequent Kobo discounts) means that I'm more likely to buy a new author if their book is only a few dollars. However I can see myself trawling the secondhand shops less, other than for specific titles I can't get in ebook. I will be shifting the bulk of my purchases to ebook, to save space! At present, the main reason I'm buying less has to do with access to B&M stores - I can't get to any at the moment and I'm much less likely to impulse buy when online.
jehane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:44 PM   #19
rdclark
Avid Reader
rdclark began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I've always bought a lot of books, and I've always been a heavy library user. My criteria for purchase haven't changed (expectation of re-reading, or reference books), but one more has been added: very cheap e-books (a buck or two) from established authors in genres I like are difficult to resist.

But I still mostly borrow books, paper or electronic, that I'm unsure about (or that I know I will buy for my collection when they're in the bargain bin, like Stephen King).
rdclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:42 PM   #20
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I voted that I buy more, but it isn't because of the library.... Prior to getting my first ebook reader, I got all of my reading from the library. After getting my Kindle, I went to the library still for about six months, and after that I went exclusively ebook.

When I got my nook I started borrowing library ebooks, but I still am buying a majority of my ebooks, as the ones I buy are not available at the library for download. I always check library availability before buying, now, and if it is available - even if there is a long waitlist - I put it on hold vs. buying.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2011, 03:08 PM   #21
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I just started borrowing library ebooks a couple of months ago, but it is too soon to conclude anything. The only books I've purchased since then have been computer books (from O'Reilly, not Amazon), which are for reference, not necessarily for pleasure reading.

None of my wish-list items for purchase are available at my library, and there are only a couple of dozen titles I'm somewhat interested in at the library, so I think my purchasing habits will eventually revert more or less to what they were before.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:34 AM   #22
paganpete
paganpete began at the beginning.

Device: Binatone Readme Daily
I wish I could get library books for my ereader but In Hull, UK that is a no no - closest for me is Leeds or York (and you have to live there) so I have to buy what I want to read :-(
paganpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:26 PM   #23
sunseeker
sunseeker began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Cool library ebooks

I purchased the Nook Color solely because I can download books from my local library. Before I got the Nook the library delivered books to my home but I had to drive them back. I live in an over 55 gated community. As a community we begged the library for a drop box since the delivery person is here almost every day anyway, but they refused. However, back to the thread...we are very fortunate to live in a very large and well funded county. The library system is one of the best and I've lived in several different states. Frankly I wanted the Kindle. After talking to a friend I found out I could not download books from the library on the Kindle. So-I got on the library site and looked for the books I was most interested in reading and also verified that the Kindle software is proprietary and not supported. I looked for New York Times Bestsellers. The books I wanted were on the site. By the time my Nook arrived it seemed everyone in the county had received an e-reader and the books I wanted were checked out. I put the books I want on a hold list, and the library notifies me by email when a title on my list is available. I have 3 days to download and 21 days to read the books. I usually have at least 3 books checked out at a time. I would not be able to afford to purchase books at the rate I read them. I'd go broke! I would not have gotten the Nook and would have been stuck with hard copies from the library. E-reading is the greatest thing since sliced bread! The ease of not having to carry books around is fantastic. I can't wait to read at the pool when it warms up!
sunseeker is offline   Reply With Quote