Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi or 3G+WiFi?
Wi-Fi Only 205 53.11%
Wi-Fi+3G 181 46.89%
Voters: 386. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-29-2010, 11:27 AM   #1
aleccj1
Techie
aleccj1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 (3G + WiFi), Kobo
Will you buy the Kindle 3G or Kindle WiFi?

I ordered the 3G+Wifi. What will you guys be ordering? Just curious .
aleccj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:36 AM   #2
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
3G + Wifi for me, too. All the places I've been since I bought the original Kindle have had 3G coverage and most had no decent WiFi.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2010, 11:39 AM   #3
digiridan
Enthusiast
digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3, Thinkpad Tablet
I have no idea, I'm confused. Just this morning I pre-ordered wifi only. 10 minutes ago I canceled that order and ordered 3g + wifi. And now... I'm thinking about canceling that one because I'm not sure how will that work for international users.

Oh, the dilemma!

Last edited by digiridan; 07-29-2010 at 11:42 AM.
digiridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:46 AM   #4
Erinath
Shy Philosopher
Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Nook Simple Touch, Nook HD+ & Kindle Keyboard (wifi only)
I ordered the wi-fi only option. I figured I'd mainly do the buying of books from home, plus anywhere I tend to go isn't that far from a wi-fi access point nowadays. If all came to all, and for some reason I desperately needed to get a book & couldn't easily access a wi-fi point I could use my phone as a modem.
Erinath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:47 AM   #5
aleccj1
Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiridan View Post
I have no idea, I'm confused. Just this morning I pre-ordered wifi only. 10 minutes ago I canceled that order and ordered 3g + wifi. And now... I'm thinking about canceling that one because I'm not sure how will that work for international users.

Oh, the dilemma!
Hmm... Where you live, do you have AT&T coverage? If so, I would spend the extra $50. 3G is just much more convenient.
Advert
Old 07-29-2010, 11:50 AM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I went for the 3G+WiFi with an apple green cover. Honestly the WiFi only would probably have been enough, but...
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 12:01 PM   #7
digiridan
Enthusiast
digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleccj1 View Post
Hmm... Where you live, do you have AT&T coverage? If so, I would spend the extra $50. 3G is just much more convenient.
Croatia
Old 07-29-2010, 12:04 PM   #8
aleccj1
Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiridan View Post
Croatia
Doesn't look like they currently have any coverage there. Unless you travel often, I would just save your money and get the WiFi only version.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:06 PM   #9
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Wifi. Currently I have no 3G coverage where I live, and I do have a wifi network. So it is a no brainer to save $50.

Apparently AT&T wifi hotspots will be free (no password required), and when traveling I almost always have free wifi where I'm staying.

Finally, I'm planning to get a Droid X when Android 2.2 is available on it. It will allow sharing its 3G with up to 5 wifi devices. I'll be able to extend this to my laptop and new Kindle. Of course I'll be paying for that ability but adding Kindle will not add to the cost.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 12:07 PM   #10
aleccj1
Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I went for the 3G+WiFi with an apple green cover. Honestly the WiFi only would probably have been enough, but...
Hmm... Would you recommend that I get a new cover? I'm afraid the cover I have for my Kindle 2i will be too big (here it is:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0037ZTI1W).
Old 07-29-2010, 12:07 PM   #11
jswinden
Nameless Being

I bought the Wifi only model. I'm not a big fan of AT&T 3G anyway as it is flaky even in the Dallas/Fort Worth metro where I live. It reminds of the 1960s when we had to constantly re-adjust the rabbit ears antenna on our TV to pick up stations! If you don't hold the phone, Kindle, etc. just right and go to the proper room in the house, you probably will lose the connection. And when I do have connection it is rarely 3G! WiFi in my case will be rock solid and faster. For those with good 3G coverage, then 3G is a good option.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:10 PM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Hmm... Would you recommend that I get a new cover? I'm afraid the cover I have for my Kindle 2i will be too big (here it is:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0037ZTI1W).
Well that cover will certainly have a looser fit than it does for the K2, but I'd think it will work if you don't mind that.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 12:12 PM   #13
ConstantineXVI
ConstantineXVI began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2I
In my opinion, assuming you have coverage in your area, the free web browsing and not having to worry about being in Wifi range for Whispersync easily justifies the extra $50 on the 3G model.
ConstantineXVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 12:15 PM   #14
digiridan
Enthusiast

Quote:
Doesn't look like they currently have any coverage there. Unless you travel often, I would just save your money and get the WiFi only version.
I'm not sure, is this it?
Source

Old 07-29-2010, 12:22 PM   #15
rapidblue
Connoisseur
rapidblue began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 / Kindle Voyage / Kindle Touch
Went for the 3G + Wi-Fi model (White) with a Steel Blue Cover (one without the light). Now I have to wait a whole month for it!!! This month better fly past
rapidblue is offline   Reply With Quote