Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-09-2010, 02:23 PM   #1
wdejager
wdejager began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, Cybook
iRex Technologies files for Chapter 11

The Netherlands-based company iRex Technologies deals with financial difficulties and has filed for chapter 11, stated iRex-ceo Hans Brons today. The much-anticipated DR800 was delayed due too FCC procedures and hence iRex missed the all-important Christmas shopping season. That was a direct cause of the financial problems.

It is not clear yet whether iRex, inventor of eInk technology and one of the first producers of e-reading devices, will resume business later on, or that the company will file for bankruptcy. "The expectations are still positive", according to Mr. Brons.

Source: eReaders.nl
wdejager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:41 PM   #2
Teddman
Addict
Teddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Wow, that's sad. Good thing for 800SG owners that they got that firmware update out already.
Teddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2010, 03:09 PM   #3
Gwaihir
The Windlord
Gwaihir began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000S, BeBook Club S
The 2.0RC1 for the DR1000 has been removed from the iRex blog the used for distribution. Were there serious problems with it? If not, is there some other way we can share it?

Edit:
Just found in another thread that only the blog posting is gone. The dowloads are still there: http://updates.irexnet.com/beta/dr1000s/

Last edited by Gwaihir; 06-09-2010 at 03:18 PM.
Gwaihir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 03:24 PM   #4
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Does this mean that the wireless connection on the DR800SG will no longer function? It is iRex paying the bills, correct?
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 04:50 PM   #5
Dellaster
本の虫
Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle3, DXG, Fire · iPad, iPod
Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
Does this mean that the wireless connection on the DR800SG will no longer function? It is iRex paying the bills, correct?
That's a very good question.

This is very sad news. I sure didn't see it coming.
Dellaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2010, 05:12 PM   #6
alism
Connoisseur
alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD, Kindle 3, KPW,
Irex was removed from best buy online store in the past week. I had been looking to see if it would go on sale the last few weeks since Sony and Nook have been on sale but about a week ago it disappeared.
alism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:15 PM   #7
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
iRex is an example of an upstart which couldn't adapt itself to the changes. Right now, big eInk screens are poorly valued by markets. However, they must be thanked for bringing great readers to people.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:31 PM   #8
zacitana
a happy reader
zacitana has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iRex DR800S :))

i honestly hope they'll pull through... i'm no expert in business or technology, but i like my dr800 very much and was looking forward to new stuff from iRex
zacitana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:08 PM   #9
junkyardwillie
Addict
junkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kobo H20 and iPad
Hopefully they just restructure the company and continue on, there's a huge credit crunch for businesses still even though the news likes to act like we are in a big recovery. Filing for bankruptcy might give them the flexibility in their debt structures to continue on, I don't know what their capital structure looked like. By far they did have the best Eink screens I always thought.
junkyardwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:09 PM   #10
SelinaK
SelinaK began at the beginning.

Device: going to get a Pocketbook 301+ soon
I'd say they aimed too high... Big screens, big prices - I always wanted a bigger screen reader, but iRexes were always so overpriced. Normal people want normal priced gadgets.
SelinaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:20 PM   #11
Mach1.9pants
Mach1.9pants doesn't litterMach1.9pants doesn't litter

Device: DR1000S
Very sad, I love my iRex. But it is showing it's age now, very slow and buggy. The BETA firmware is a speed improvement but I guess that is the last firmware we get.

Ah well hopefully only a few months to my Adam is at my door!
Mach1.9pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:24 PM   #12
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
This is sad news, I really liked the iRex, but thought it was too expensive.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:33 PM   #13
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Is Chapter 11 the same thing in the Netherlands as it is in the States? Chapter 11 means you have time to re-organize/re-group (i.e. protection from creditors) while Chapter 7 is basically last one to leave, turn off the lights? Or did they file for Chapter 11 protection here in the States?
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:09 PM   #14
rhari79
Addict
rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: .*
I have been a critic of Irex. But it was hoping for improvement, because i like their readers.
I did consider buying a DR800S(G), but for one it was frequently not available for shipping and other..i have an iliad-be and it was not enough for reading tech books.

I am still willing to buy the DR1000S as its still currently the best reader by miles for reading technical books.
However the price will surely cause me to file for my chapter 1-100

IRex can give the same functionality (and fragility..thats the critic in me) at a lesser price too.

Hope they pull through and make their devices competitive...Good Luck IREX..
rhari79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:39 PM   #15
oncdoc
Addict
oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle, pocket pro
any close out sales?
oncdoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chapter 11, financial problems, iliad, irex technologies