Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-20-2010, 07:46 PM   #91
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Yes the first half of that quote—which shows that Bob Sessions is not mortified over the error, but rather mortified that anyone should have taken offense—perhaps should have been quoted as well. I fail to see how that adds to your defense of him.

It could have very well been a non-issue, had a simple statement been made that the typo was inadvertent, and was being corrected. Instead, Sessions showed remarkable insensitivity for someone in his position by choosing to belittle the feelings of those who were offended. It's good that those other things were done by way of response, but it was a mistake to attack those who were offended. A human mistake; a retaliation against a perceived attack on his company, perhaps; but a mistake nonetheless. That doesn't makes him evil, but does reveal that there is an area of his life that needs work. We all have them, and he should admit his error and cut his losses.
bingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhishStyx View Post
Yeah, don'tcha hate when people don't take your spin at face-value.
wasn't my spin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
Now that's an 'interesting' view of things...

I do wonder how much of a mis-match there is between the 'US viewpoint' of the statement and the 'AUS viewpoint', as I certainly don't think they're all that similar despite the superficially common language.
from what I understand, race relations in Australia are in a shambles, leaving us looking a lot better quite hinestly
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:47 PM   #92
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I seriously doubt if the attitude of one executive of one publishing company over what he perceived as an exaggerated reaction to a typographical error in a cookbook is in any way indicative of any, let alone all, publishers' staffs to the needs or wants of their customers with regard to ebooks ... or, in fact, of anything except how that one individual feels about people getting all worked up about a typo. It's no more valid than saying "some member of a particular race is a criminal, therefore all members of that race are criminals" (on which basis, of course, we're all criminals).
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2010, 11:51 PM   #93
recluse
Banned
recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Now I know what this thread reminds me of... the Kitty Genovese case from New York. 38 witnesses listened to Miss Genovese screaming for help for over 20 minutes and did nothing but ponder aloud if (1: a crime was being committed, (2: someone should actually verify that a crime was being committed and (3: someone else would call the police.

You all talk the talk. Because not one of you can walk the walk.
Yeah, you ARE all criminals.
recluse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:17 AM   #94
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by recluse View Post
Now I know what this thread reminds me of... the Kitty Genovese case from New York. 38 witnesses listened to Miss Genovese screaming for help for over 20 minutes and did nothing but ponder aloud if (1: a crime was being committed, (2: someone should actually verify that a crime was being committed and (3: someone else would call the police.

I have a feeling Godwin's law will make an appearance shortly.

Correction: a reappearance. Thanks Worldwalker!

Last edited by LDBoblo; 04-21-2010 at 12:31 AM.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:24 AM   #95
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

And how this relates to the topic at hand escapes me entirely.

Furthermore, talk about offensive ... you're equating a debate about whether or not it was "horrific" that a publisher didn't commit professional seppuku over a typo in a cookbook with ... a brutal murder?

For the record, I have intervened in crimes being committed, both by calling police and by stepping in personally, depending on the circumstances. I didn't ponder; I assessed the situation and acted. I have no question in my mind as to what I would have done that night in Kew Gardens, because the situation has come up (not, thankfully, with a murder, but with other criminal activity) and I know what I have done. I don't talk about that, usually, because I don't need to; I've walked that walk. So right there, you can take your unwarranted assumptions and shove them somewhere warm and dark. Sideways.

Someone getting offended over a typo is not a murder.

Someone thinking someone getting offended over a typo is overreacting is still not a murder.

Someone saying they think someone getting offended over a typo is overreacting is still not a murder.

In fact, nothing that could possibly be said to anyone, anywhere, by anyone, in any way whatsoever, equates to murder. I could call you every name in the book, in a tirade carefully tailored to your age, sex, race, nationality, religion, occupation, and choice of household pets, and you would still be alive to post a reply. "Offended" is not the same thing as "dead". It's not even the same thing as "shut thumb in car door."

There is a massive need for some perspective in this thread.
Advert
Old 04-21-2010, 12:28 AM   #96
Cyberman tM
Evangelist
Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Inkbook Prime; Icarus Illumina;ImcoV6l;EB600;Kobo
The typo isn't a problem. It's an obviously wrong datum which won't cause any trouble (though I'm wondering what else might be wrong. If obvious stuff gets overlooked, what about more subtle typos?).

The execs attitude, though, is a problem. I don't like being told how to feel or what to think, and I suppose most people don't.

It's one thing if a private person acts that way. (No doubt I did )
But someone talking for a company should learn how to talk and what to say. Telling people they're stupid for not sharing his opinion surely isn't on the "what to say" list.
Cyberman tM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:54 AM   #97
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberman tM View Post
The typo isn't a problem. It's an obviously wrong datum which won't cause any trouble (though I'm wondering what else might be wrong. If obvious stuff gets overlooked, what about more subtle typos?).
Yeah, I would have a certain amount of concern about whether a publisher who can't tell pepper from people can tell teaspoons from tablespoons. I have an aversion to sage to this day, courtesy of a misprinted recipe on the back of a package of 15-bean soup mix.

Quote:
It's one thing if a private person acts that way. (No doubt I did )
But someone talking for a company should learn how to talk and what to say. Telling people they're stupid for not sharing his opinion surely isn't on the "what to say" list.
I don't seem to recall him telling anyone they were stupid. He referred to the error as a "silly mistake" when he was offering a free replacement copy to anyone who wanted one. He said he didn't understand why someone would be offended by it. Maybe not the most diplomatic thing to say, but also not the same thing as telling people they're stupid for not sharing his opinion.

And mind you, this was after the error had already been found, and unsold cookbooks destroyed and reprinted.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:25 AM   #98
recluse
Banned
recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Now do you get it? I offended you with a statement that was unthinking and crude. Someone else was offended by a publishing exec's reaction to a typo. Neither offended feeling matters or they both do. If you don't agree, you say it and walk away. Repeatedly telling someone they are childish and wrong for feeling a certain way is wrong. If a person can't freely vent a bad feeling without being openly mocked, they fester. They hate. It made me what I am. Alone. In pain. And wanting the strength to self terminate.
recluse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 02:44 AM   #99
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
from what I understand, race relations in Australia are in a shambles, leaving us looking a lot better quite hinestly
Then, to put it bluntly, what you understand is incorrect.

If you truly believe race relations are "a lot better" in the USA than in Australia then you need to do a little more research and try to find out the reality of the situation.

Cheers,
PKFFW
PKFFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 02:56 AM   #100
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon

Actually, you didn't offend me. Trust me, I'm very hard to offend. If the /b/tards can't do it, someone on MobileRead has no chance.

However, it was clear that your statement was meant to be offensive, hence my "talk about offensive" comment. I pointed out how your statement was in error and went on.

As for "neither offended feeling matters or they both do": Again, it's the perspective thing. For example, take that person I mentioned a while back, the flake I knew in college. She would probably be offended if you mentioned the Kitty Genovese murder in her presence in any context. "So because you're a man you think violence against women is acceptable?" Is her feeling of offense on a par with, say, the feeling a black man would have if he told "n*** boy, go back to Africa" by some random racist in the street? Both people are offended, or claim to be (I've never been sure that she was actually offended at anything, or just seeking attention/control) but I think most of us can tell the difference between the feelings of a person who was deliberately taunted with hate speech and a person who flipped out at things that would not even register on the offense meter of the average person. Yet you think they're the same thing? "Neither offended feeling matters or they both do"?

Where have I repeatedly told you you're childish and wrong for feeling a certain way? And if I have, how can you tell me I'm wrong to feel that you're wrong? Isn't that wrong?

Y'know, people seemed to do a lot less festering before the Web gave us forums to freely vent our bad feelings in. So, I'm not certain that it's a lack of forum venting opportunities is the problem.

As for your psychological issues and suicidal ideation, I think you need to seek help for them from a professional, not in an ebook readers' forum. Just a suggestion there.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:07 AM   #101
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Are you serious? And you got all this from a publisher's comment on a typo in a cook-book for which they apologised and then proceeded to pulp the remaining books and offer free replacements?

Very insightful and clever if I may add.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 08:48 AM   #102
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Now do you get it? I offended you with a statement that was unthinking and crude. Someone else was offended by a publishing exec's reaction to a typo. Neither offended feeling matters or they both do. If you don't agree, you say it and walk away. Repeatedly telling someone they are childish and wrong for feeling a certain way is wrong. If a person can't freely vent a bad feeling without being openly mocked, they fester. They hate. It made me what I am. Alone. In pain. And wanting the strength to self terminate.
Despite the madness, possibly one of the sanest to comment on this thread.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:59 AM   #103
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKFFW View Post
Then, to put it bluntly, what you understand is incorrect.

If you truly believe race relations are "a lot better" in the USA than in Australia then you need to do a little more research and try to find out the reality of the situation.

Cheers,
PKFFW
Quote:
Originally Posted by m-reader View Post
Are you serious? And you got all this from a publisher's comment on a typo in a cook-book for which they apologised and then proceeded to pulp the remaining books and offer free replacements?

Very insightful and clever if I may add.
actually I've quite a few friends from AUstralia, and my impression comes directly from then, not a silly article on the net. additionally having worked on first nations topics I've read quite a few of the articles regarding racial unrest in Australia. but I guess you think they are just silly as well
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:03 PM   #104
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
Despite the madness, possibly one of the sanest to comment on this thread.
If Bob could have been half as offensive as recluse overtly tried to be, I'd have applauded his bravado.

Quote:
actually I've quite a few friends from AUstralia, and my impression comes directly from then, not a silly article on the net. additionally having worked on first nations topics I've read quite a few of the articles regarding racial unrest in Australia. but I guess you think they are just silly as well
Yup, there are tensions. The USA still makes them look quite tame though, by comparison.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:28 PM   #105
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
Quote:
Not denying Australia has its problems.

To suggest the USA is "a lot better" though, I would think would make anyone who really knows the situation in both countries drop their jaw in stupefied amazement.

Cheers,
PKFFW
PKFFW is offline   Reply With Quote