Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 11-13-2009, 12:22 AM   #1
Simon Wood
Addict
Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Working Stiffs -- Crime Thriller

New for download is my award winning short story collection Working Stiffs. I hope you'll check it out and the inspirations for the stories.

From Smashwords: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/5543
For the Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002VWKG2C
Inspirations: http://simonwood.net/workingstiffs2.html

The workplace is a dangerous place. The unscrupulous are primed and ready to take advantage of the innocent and naïve. A slight indiscretion can cost the employee everything. A new position can turn a person into someone they are not. Those at the top can be toppled and those at the bottom can be crushed.

Until now, Vincent’s father has kept one side of the business a secret from his son. Vincent is about to learn the family business. On the most important day of his career, Sam’s world will unravel when he helps a woman in distress. Todd has failed in every job he's undertaken, but that changes when he backs into a drug dealer's car. Now he’s in hock with organized crime and can only get himself out from under if he works for them to pay off his debt. Kenneth Casper is ailing and so is his business empire. His shareholders circle like vultures. Casper pins all his hopes on a Peruvian shaman with a miracle cure.

Working Stiffs...Some jobs are worth dying for.

The book features My Father's Secret which won the Anthony Award for Best Short Story.

What They Are Saying About Working Stiffs:

“Warning: This book is 100% adrenalin. Wood is pure gold.”
— J.A. Konrath, author of Rusty Nail

“Consistently surprising and well-written, Working Stiffs proves Simon Wood is a criminal genius. We should all be glad he’s writing this stuff and not doing it.”
— Cemetery Dance

“For a lover of short stories, this collection was a full meal. Wood changes voices, demographics and plot lines like a teen changes clothes for a first date. Each story is a strong sampling of humans at their most human told with the finesse that comes from experience and a love of the genre.”
— Crime Spree

“Wood delivers the goods!”
— Reviewing The Evidence

“His style will seem effortless to the reader and turn every writer green with envy.”
— Hellnotes

Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 06:08 PM   #2
Simon Wood
Addict
Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I thought people might interested in this real life incident that became the driving force for the book Working Stiffs

You can check it out at http://www.redroom.com/blog/simon-wood/hit-and-runners

Last edited by Simon Wood; 11-23-2009 at 06:12 PM.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:52 PM   #3
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Hi, Simon. It's a big plus that your work is available in multiple formats.

**nice... I see that you have the signature in place now**
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 04:00 PM   #4
MaMiller
Author
MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi Simon. I grabbed the sample. It looks real good!
MaMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 06:05 PM   #5
Simon Wood
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Hi, Simon. It's a big plus that your work is available in multiple formats.

**nice... I see that you have the signature in place now**

Thanks.

It's one of those things, I don't care how many formats my work appears as long as it gets read.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:07 PM   #6
Simon Wood
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaMiller View Post
Hi Simon. I grabbed the sample. It looks real good!
I like to think so...
Old 11-30-2009, 01:12 PM   #7
Simon Wood
Addict

Thumbs up Working Stiffs -- Crime Thrillers (Christmas Pricing -- $1.99)

For the Holiday season, I've dropped the price of Working Stiffs to $1.99 on Kindle and Smashwords. I hope people will check it out.

Working Stiffs: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002VWKG2C and https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/5543
Old 02-16-2010, 12:50 PM   #8
Simon Wood
Addict

Working Stiffs picked a nice little review here. Check it out.

http://thriller-fiction.suite101.com...working-stiffs
Old 03-07-2010, 03:00 PM   #9
Simon Wood
Addict

Working Stiffs is on sale this week for the Read an ebook week. Use coupon code: RAE50

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/5543
Old 04-05-2010, 02:32 PM   #10
DebbiM
Enthusiast
DebbiM is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!DebbiM is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!DebbiM is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!DebbiM is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!DebbiM is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!DebbiM is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!DebbiM is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!DebbiM is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!DebbiM is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!DebbiM is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!DebbiM is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle
Consider Me a Big Fan

Wow, Simon! I recently read your book, Working Stiffs, and had no idea it was based on a real incident. (Scary!)

I just want to say what a page-turner this great short fiction collection is.

Wood not only knows how to write twisty and unpredictable suspense tales, but he does so with masterful wit and literary panache.

I highly recommend Working Stiffs, if you're looking for your next great thriller/suspense read.

Debbi Mack
[In-text promotional links deleted - MODERATOR]

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 03-10-2014 at 12:33 PM.
DebbiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 06:46 PM   #11
Scott Nicholson
Scott Nicholson, author
Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Simon is the kind of writer other writers wish they were writing like!

Scott
Scott Nicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:36 PM   #12
Simon Wood
Addict

Thanks. I'm glad you liked the book. I think I owe a lot of credit to the editor. It was the best editing experience. We'd just chat about the story and I'd jump on the revisions. A red pen was never used.

And Debbi, I have a talent for getting myself into sticky situations. :-/

Last edited by Simon Wood; 04-06-2010 at 12:57 PM.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:45 AM   #13
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Just reading Working Stiffs and enjoying it very much so far...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:12 PM   #14
Simon Wood
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
Just reading Working Stiffs and enjoying it very much so far...
Great. Let me know how you like the rest of it, Lene.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:29 AM   #15
DebbiM
Enthusiast
DebbiM is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!DebbiM is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!DebbiM is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!DebbiM is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!DebbiM is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!DebbiM is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!DebbiM is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!DebbiM is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!DebbiM is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!DebbiM is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!DebbiM is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Re: Review of Working Stiffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Wood View Post
I have a talent for getting myself into sticky situations. :-/
LOL! You and me both.

Best,
Debbi
[In-text promotional links deleted - MODERATOR]

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 03-10-2014 at 12:33 PM.
DebbiM is offline   Reply With Quote