Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-04-2009, 08:34 PM   #1
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Buy an ebook in a bookshop.

Moskva , one of the biggest book shops in Moscow, started offering ebooks on their site and in the shop. For now the procedure is a bit complicated but it's a start.
Blog post about the experience (Google translation).
Basically for now it's not much more than a PC in kiosk mode locked to the shop's ebook site, but you can top up your account directly in the shop with cash, and the personnel is there to explain and help.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:53 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
very interesting. i am not sure that simple kiosks are the optimum solution here, but i think it is a good start. there could be a lot of really interesting ways to integrate the digital book buying with the physical store, and i think it would appeal to many people. even if i prefer reading ebooks now, i still like to browse in physical bookstores, and i know i'm not the only one. it would be great to be able to browse the bookstore and buy the ebook immediately, on site. good idea, Moskva. finally !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2009, 09:05 PM   #3
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
I just posted a thread in which an author talks about eBook marketing and one of the things he discusses is how Harper Collins is going to to sell eBooks in book stores. They are selling 3 by 5 cards with the cover and back cover of the book with a code that you can download the book. It lets the book store set the price they want for the card and make a profit on the sale.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...983#post647983
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 09:10 PM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post
I just posted a thread in which an author talks about eBook marketing and one of the things he discusses is how Harper Collins is going to to sell eBooks in book stores. They are selling 3 by 5 cards with the cover and back cover of the book with a code that you can download the book. It lets the book store set the price they want for the card and make a profit on the sale.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...983#post647983
that is not a stupid idea at all. i am not convinced we need a physical remnant of these transactions however for now it is probably reassuring to have this tangible evidence, and it allows an easy way to bring digital sales into physical stores, even if a person doesn't have an account there (yet) or have their device (whatever it is) with them for immediate transfer... plus, this would allow you to buy ebooks as gifts, and have something to show them at the birthday party.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 09:41 PM   #5
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
oh. that's really interesting!

carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2009, 09:49 PM   #6
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
I always pictured the future of ereaders having a barcode scanner somewhere on them. You go to the bookstore and shop for your book, scanning the barcode for purchase or wishlist. Have it download while you're still in store. It works out much better than my current pen and paper method =)
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 10:10 PM   #7
Billjr13
Addict
Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 700 & 650
That would work for me. I love to go into a B&M to browse read buy a coffee and visit. I would be just as happy to buy a card for a download or get it from a kiosk; as long as it is not any harder or significantlly more expensive than getting it from an internet store
Billjr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 10:49 PM   #8
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
This is a completely backwards idea.

Why, exactly, would I want to get in a car, drive 20 minutes to the store, browse for 30 minutes, spend 15 minutes checking out, then another 20 going home -- when I can download a sample, read it, buy it, and have it on my device in 10 minutes?

You don't need to go to the music store to download MP3's, or to the game store to download video games, or to the video store to stream movies to your computer. I fail to see why you need to go to a physical store to download a book.

Not to mention that a store is a very expensive chunk of overhead that will become far less common (for better and for worse) as ebook sales rise. Since the physical store doesn't even generate revenue from the sale, it's clearly not a sustainable model.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 10:58 PM   #9
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx6166 View Post
I always pictured the future of ereaders having a barcode scanner somewhere on them. You go to the bookstore and shop for your book, scanning the barcode for purchase or wishlist. Have it download while you're still in store. It works out much better than my current pen and paper method =)
Why not encode the whole book into a high density "barcode", or even a microchip/usb device atached to the 3x5 card. Chips are getting so cheap, or at least, maybe they can sell collections of books this way.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 11:15 PM   #10
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post

Why, exactly, would I want to get in a car, drive 20 minutes to the store, browse for 30 minutes, spend 15 minutes checking out, then another 20 going home -- when I can download a sample, read it, buy it, and have it on my device in 10 minutes?

You don't need to go to the music store to download MP3's, or to the game store to download video games, or to the video store to stream movies to your computer. I fail to see why you need to go to a physical store to download a book.

Not to mention that a store is a very expensive chunk of overhead that will become far less common (for better and for worse) as ebook sales rise. Since the physical store doesn't even generate revenue from the sale, it's clearly not a sustainable model.
It is a desparate attempt to save the old distribution chain, like a small neighborhood grocery. I agree, this won't work. Perhaps as a small section in store selling physical books. Those who like to chat with the owner will be buying physical books, anyway.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 12:58 AM   #11
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
There are some situations where I wouldn't mind it. My school library, for instance, is a nice gathering place, with really comfortable chairs and couches, and everything is very inviting to sit down and read. They have a basic coffee shop set up in there. People enjoy it, because it is a good place to meet up with others, and relax. Having something like that, where you can get away from the hassles that are awaiting you at home. There are reasons why coffee shops are popular. Now, if you could incorporate ebooks into that, by having an internal site offering sales, accessable via wifi. People connect to the wifi network, and first page they load is the for the ebooks.

There are ways that some physical location could be kept, but it would probably not be like book stores are now.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 12:58 AM   #12
KarenH
Addict
KarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five words

Device: K3
Quote:

I agree that it doesn't make sense to have a store that sells exclusively ebooks, but I think having an ebook section in a regular bookstore (or even other stores that sell books) would be great. I love to browse in bookstores, and to have the ability to purchase an ebook while I'm browsing would be great. I kind of like the idea of the cards to use as gifts too.
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 01:32 AM   #13
Billjr13
Addict
Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 700 & 650
Not an ebook store just a book store that has ebooks available too. As to why would I want to go to a B&M I stated in my earlier post. I enjoy it. I was not talking about taking your ability to shop on the internet away. As if that could even be possible at this point. E-commerce is here to stay for a long time. But some people still prefer to walk into a store to look and touch and sample and buy and take their purchase home with them as opposed to ordering online.
Billjr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 06:04 AM   #14
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:

What's wrong with the idea, its an extra option for people, as long as it doesn't it doesn't reduce the existing options then surely thats a good thing since traditional stores are not going to go away completely.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:21 AM   #15
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
I'm in favour of the idea. I like wandering around bookshops as it is much easier to see titles, covers & a synopsis than on a web site. Being able to actually download them or effectively purchase them then and there for future download would be fine by me.
At presetn I still wander round and make notes of the ones I'd like,m then go home have to try to find it, then discover there are some daft regional restricitons etc etc.
Much simpler to buy as you browse in a store.
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote