Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-05-2009, 03:15 PM   #1
sforce
Connoisseur
sforce doesn't littersforce doesn't litter

Device: Plastic Logic (?)
Bloggers Must Disclose Product Ties

Given how often bloggers offer their opinions on devices such as eReaders, I believe the below to be important--and welcome--news.

The Wall Street Journal
WASHINGTON -- Bloggers, Tweeters and online marketers will have to tell consumers when they are paid or given freebies to write positive reviews or postings, federal regulators said Monday.

The Federal Trade Commission released updated guidelines Monday designed to provide clarity for bloggers and other online writers about their responsibility to provide consumer disclosure as well as liability issues they face for making false or deceptive claims about products and services.

The agency unveiled a draft of the proposed guidelines last year, prompting debate in the blogging community about how much disclosure writers must provide and which ethical rules, if any, they should follow.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125475547130664753.html

Read the FTC guidance here:
http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2009/10/endortest.shtm
sforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 03:20 PM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
I fully support the decision of the FTC. What help is a blogger's review if he or she got paid to write the review by the very company whose product is being reviewed...
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2009, 03:23 PM   #3
N0NJY
Time Traveler
N0NJY began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
LOL.

I refuse to tell the FTC anything.

They can pound sand.

Why? I don't get PAID by anyone for writing a blog and if I chose to write something positive or negative about something, it's on me.
N0NJY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 03:46 PM   #4
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by N0NJY View Post
Why? I don't get PAID by anyone for writing a blog and if I chose to write something positive or negative about something, it's on me.
(emphasis added)

That is exactly the point.
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 03:49 PM   #5
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Do they have a legal definition of 'blogger?' I mean, if somebody sends me something to review, while I feel a personal obligation to make this known, to make it a legal one seems to me to be extremely draconian. The only exception I could see would be for those who are professional bloggers (i.e. those who are employed to blog and to tweet, etc.); the local, state, and federal governments have a long tradition of regulating professions according to community ethical standards. This could be seen as simply an extension of that tradition.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2009, 03:54 PM   #6
sforce
Connoisseur
sforce doesn't littersforce doesn't litter

Device: Plastic Logic (?)
I'm really torn by this, but I guess now's the time to come clean about that Lamborghini review I did last year....

sforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 03:56 PM   #7
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I heard about this. Wonderful!!!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 03:56 PM   #8
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
if you read more of the changes to the GUILDLINES, not laws BTW, they also address using exceptional results then a disclaimer that results are atypical and not necessarily representative of what everyone else will have. I think these are all excellent improvements in the truth in advertising guidelines and eventually these guidelines will hit the courts for rulings.

good stuff.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 04:05 PM   #9
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
Do they have a legal definition of 'blogger?' I mean, if somebody sends me something to review, while I feel a personal obligation to make this known, to make it a legal one seems to me to be extremely draconian. The only exception I could see would be for those who are professional bloggers (i.e. those who are employed to blog and to tweet, etc.); the local, state, and federal governments have a long tradition of regulating professions according to community ethical standards. This could be seen as simply an extension of that tradition.
It is not about being being a "professional blogger" it is about said blogger being sent a sample to review, which these reviewers always have to return so it can be sent to other reviewers vs. being GIVEN the thing being reviewed or something else's as a "thank you" for the review. The point of the "gift" is to pass along the subtle, well not so subtle, "give us a good review and we will give you more good stuff...bad review...thanks for your time maybe sometime, someday, hopefully in your lifetime we will ask you to review something else..." In other-words, these companies are lobbying for positive evaluations using out of date guidelines via bribery.

The guidelines make clear that while not all failures to comply will not be found, all they need to do is find a few cases, prosecute those, win, and we will start to see more honest evaluations.

Last edited by brecklundin; 10-05-2009 at 07:17 PM.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 04:16 PM   #10
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
find a few cases, prosecute those, win, and we will start to see more honest evaluations.
I wonder what they'd try & charge a non-US-based blogger with...
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 04:25 PM   #11
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
I once called the Frag Dolls shills, so I'm up for that. (When they started, their website didn't exactly make their corperate-team nature apparent)
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 04:27 PM   #12
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Actually, now that I read it...

These look to be guidelines enforced on the company, not the blogger. So if a company "hires" a blogger to endorse a product, the company must disclose that the blogger was either paid or given a freebie. The blogger isn't going to get into trouble, the company is.

If the blog isn't being claimed as an endorsement of the product, then I'm not sure if these FTC guidelines apply.

Last edited by Shaggy; 10-05-2009 at 04:56 PM.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 04:42 PM   #13
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
From the article (emphasis added):
"While the 1980 Guides did not explicitly state that endorsers as well as advertisers could be liable under the FTC Act for statements they make in an endorsement, the revised Guides reflect Commission case law and clearly state that both advertisers and endorsers may be liable for false or unsubstantiated claims made in an endorsement – or for failure to disclose material connections between the advertiser and endorsers. ... In any law enforcement action challenging the allegedly deceptive use of testimonials or endorsements, the Commission would have the burden of proving that the challenged conduct violates the FTC Act."

It looks like it doesn't matter to them what bloggers do--as long as there's no accusation of fraud. Bloggers who receive a free whatever for writing a review aren't exactly required to say so--but not saying so could be considered misleading, especially if it's a glowing review of a so-so product.

I suspect it's not designed to go after individual bloggers who occasionally agree to review a book or widget for a free one to keep, but to put a hold on company-employed bloggers & tweeters and let them know they're liable for any problems caused by people thinking they were singing the praises of MegaCorp from the goodness of their hearts.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 04:58 PM   #14
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
I suspect it's not designed to go after individual bloggers who occasionally agree to review a book or widget for a free one to keep, but to put a hold on company-employed bloggers & tweeters and let them know they're liable for any problems caused by people thinking they were singing the praises of MegaCorp from the goodness of their hearts.
That's the way I interpret it as well. This is designed to go after companies that are getting people to write fraudulent blogs as endorsements, not independent bloggers.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 05:21 PM   #15
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-505, PRS-350
This strikes me as un-enforceable.
Superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote