Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-25-2009, 03:49 PM   #1
patdunn20
patdunn20 began at the beginning.

Device: I need one bad
Post Kindle 2 In Real Life

So, I would like to somehow find the money to get a Kindle, however I have a few questions pertaining to summer conditions:
  1. How well does the Kindle handle sun, say if I am at the pool all day?
  2. While I'm at the pool it gets a rain drop or two, will it survive?
  3. Amazon's ad shows the girl on the beach, is this thing like every electronic and should stay away from sand, or it it OK to bring?
  4. Would it survive a 1 foot drop onto concrete?

I'm a clutz, these are all real-world situations to me. Any insight would be appreciated.

Pat
patdunn20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 03:52 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by patdunn20 View Post
So, I would like to somehow find the money to get a Kindle, however I have a few questions pertaining to summer conditions:
  1. How well does the Kindle handle sun, say if I am at the pool all day?
  2. While I'm at the pool it gets a rain drop or two, will it survive?
  3. Amazon's ad shows the girl on the beach, is this thing like every electronic and should stay away from sand, or it it OK to bring?
  4. Would it survive a 1 foot drop onto concrete?

I'm a clutz, these are all real-world situations to me. Any insight would be appreciated.

Pat
1. Handles the sun just fine.
2. Yes, it will survive especially if you have the cover closed while not reading.
3. I would think it would survive a drop on the sand.
4. It might or might not survive. It depends if it's covered or not and how hard it drops and what part of the K2 hits the concrete.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2009, 04:21 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
gotta disagree a bit with Jwolf here.

1. In the sun, okay, but keep the cover closed when you aren't reading.

2) I wouldn't want to test it to hard here....its not anywhere near waterproof. There is a leisure case sold for the k1 with a clear plastic cover that people like. Sold by M-edge, and you can find in in Amazon under "M-Edge Leisure covers"

3) UH UH.........sand is a big no no, especially when its said there is no protective screen over the eink screen. Again, however, lots of great feedback using a 1 gallon baggie zipped..easy to manipulate, and protective.

4) Do so at your own risk. I wouldn't give it a chance. IF its in a case, maybe.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 06:33 PM   #4
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I'm going on vacation with my Sony soon, and I'm bring a few ziploc baggies so sand doesn't hurt it (or water).

I've noticed fading in direct sunlight, but it clears after you shut the unit off (this is for the sony, but I'm sure the same applies for the Kindle).
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 07:14 PM   #5
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
I've used mine at the beach many times. I did keep it in a big zip lock bag when not in use, but just used it normally while reading.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2009, 07:45 PM   #6
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I used mine at the pool all last summer and the occasional random water drop didn't hurt. Dropping is a quick way to break it. I strongly suggest keeping the Kindle in a good case and keeping the cover closed when not in use.

The main reason I bought an eInk screen was to read outside in the sun. It's great!
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:08 PM   #7
brn_eyed_girl81
Connoisseur
brn_eyed_girl81 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
The main reason I bought an eInk screen was to read outside in the sun. It's great!
That's great - I can't wait for summer with my kindle
brn_eyed_girl81 is offline   Reply With Quote