Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 07-27-2009, 09:25 PM   #286
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by diazlaz View Post
Nick - thanks! awesome! - your build worked perfectly. thanks again. This build no longer removes blank pages and keeps the page count consistent with the PDF file.
Glad I could help!
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 05:42 PM   #287
BarryTX
Connoisseur
BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle 2
Is there an alternate download link? I get a timeout every time I try to download the 1.8.2 link.
BarryTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2009, 10:45 AM   #288
nrapallo
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryTX View Post
Is there an alternate download link? I get a timeout every time I try to download the 1.8.2 link.
If this is still a problem, I'd recommend trying to download it from another computer on a different ISP (i.e. family/friend's computer).

I cannot download large attachments on Mobileread.com from my work computer/ISP unless I wait at the 'Save As...' dialog box (where you select where to save the downloaded file) for several minutes, then click 'Save'. It doesn't hang if I do that! This only happens with Mobileread.com!!! ...and I'm doing this from Canada, where the Mobileread.com servers are hosted...

My home computer (and different ISP) has no problem downloading any sized attachment from Mobileread.com, but the upload speed is throttle too much for large uploads. My work ISP doesn't (yet) throttle upload speeds so I don't have any upload issues there.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:14 AM   #289
halohunter
halohunter began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
To the creator(s) of PDFRead, I've joined this forum to write just this (and hopefully stick around). For the past few weeks since I got my Kindle 2, I've been looking for a way to view lecture slides on it and stop wasting 10-20 pages per lecture (with 5 lectures, thats 50-100 pages per week). The slides are usually in pdf format with powerpoint/impress sized pages. I thought I tried every piece of conversion software that exists and was resigned to viewing them in a bad looking format via mobipocket... then I found PDFRead.

This program is perfect!! It does exactly what I wanted. Thanks nrapallo you're a genius!

Last edited by halohunter; 08-13-2009 at 10:27 AM.
halohunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 11:55 AM   #290
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by halohunter View Post
To the creator(s) of PDFRead,
This program is perfect!! It does exactly what I wanted. Thanks nrapallo you're a genius!
Thanks, and while I did add the mobipocket output support and other tweaks/enhancement, the original creator ashkulz desires most of the credit for PDFRead.

But, you're right, when it works IT WORKS!!!!
Advert
Old 08-20-2009, 10:44 PM   #291
sidgalt
sidgalt began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dx
Hey,
I'm trying to install pdfread on osx 10.5 with python 2.5.4. I have installed the necessary libraries. I'm getting the error

Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "pdfread.py", line 29, in <module>
    from process import *
ImportError: No module named process
My files are named correctly -
Code:
common.py	common.pyc	input.py	l18.pdf		output.py	pdfread-gui.ini	pdfread-gui.nsi	pdfread.py	setup.py
Does someone know what's going on?
Thanks
sidgalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 11:00 PM   #292
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidgalt View Post
Hey,
I'm trying to install pdfread on osx 10.5 with python 2.5.4. I have installed the necessary libraries. I'm getting the error

Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "pdfread.py", line 29, in <module>
    from process import *
ImportError: No module named process
My files are named correctly -
Code:
common.py	common.pyc	input.py	l18.pdf		output.py	pdfread-gui.ini	pdfread-gui.nsi	pdfread.py	setup.py
Does someone know what's going on?
Thanks
There's no process.py in that list of your files, but it does exist in the PDFRead src folder! Just extract the src files again.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:43 AM   #293
sidgalt

Thanks for the reply. That fixed that issue but now I'm getting
Code:
python pdfread.py xyz.pdf 

Temporary directory:  /var/folders/n1/n1j8f5yuEPy0OnhywQwb5++++TI/-Tmp-/pdfread-kWwunC 

Page    1/224: EXTRACT Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Users/sidgalt/Software/pdfread/pdfread.py", line 619, in <module>
    PdfConverter().main()
  File "/Users/sidgalt/Software/pdfread/pdfread.py", line 439, in main
    self.convert_pages_to_png()
  File "/Users/sidgalt/Software/pdfread/pdfread.py", line 120, in convert_pages_to_png
    raw_image = self.INPUT_FORMATS[self.options.input_format](self, i)
  File "/Users/sidgalt/Software/pdfread/pdfread.py", line 220, in extract_pdf
    exec_cmd('pdftops', '-f', str(number), '-l', str(number), '-eps', self.input, 'page.eps')
  File "/Users/sidgalt/Software/pdfread/pdfread.py", line 606, in exec_cmd
    stdout=subprocess.PIPE, stderr=subprocess.STDOUT)
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/subprocess.py", line 594, in __init__
    errread, errwrite)
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/subprocess.py", line 1097, in _execute_child
    raise child_exception
OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
PS - I downloaded pdfread v5 from sourceforge (does anyone know where pdfread 1.8 is?) and I'm running pdfread.py from the unpacked src folder.

Last edited by sidgalt; 08-21-2009 at 12:00 PM.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:03 PM   #294
nrapallo

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. That fixed that issue but now I'm getting
Code:
python pdfread.py xyz.pdf 

Temporary directory:  /var/folders/n1/n1j8f5yuEPy0OnhywQwb5++++TI/-Tmp-/pdfread-kWwunC 

Page    1/224: EXTRACT Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Users/sidgalt/Software/pdfread/pdfread.py", line 619, in <module>
    PdfConverter().main()
  File "/Users/sidgalt/Software/pdfread/pdfread.py", line 439, in main
    self.convert_pages_to_png()
  File "/Users/sidgalt/Software/pdfread/pdfread.py", line 120, in convert_pages_to_png
    raw_image = self.INPUT_FORMATS[self.options.input_format](self, i)
  File "/Users/sidgalt/Software/pdfread/pdfread.py", line 220, in extract_pdf
    exec_cmd('pdftops', '-f', str(number), '-l', str(number), '-eps', self.input, 'page.eps')
  File "/Users/sidgalt/Software/pdfread/pdfread.py", line 606, in exec_cmd
    stdout=subprocess.PIPE, stderr=subprocess.STDOUT)
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/subprocess.py", line 594, in __init__
    errread, errwrite)
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/subprocess.py", line 1097, in _execute_child
    raise child_exception
OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
Oops, I think you need the source for the executables in the bin folder or the proper library for 'pdftops'. I only use Windows, but this post has information on how to make this work in Mac OS X...

Last edited by nrapallo; 08-21-2009 at 12:07 PM.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:12 PM   #295
sidgalt

The source code linked above seems to be for windows though since when I tried running setup.py, it asked for the module py2exe which is windows only afaik. I tried svn checkout but encountered the same problem.
Old 08-21-2009, 02:58 PM   #296
nrapallo

Quote:
The source code linked above seems to be for windows though since when I tried running setup.py, it asked for the module py2exe which is windows only afaik. I tried svn checkout but encountered the same problem.
I'm afraid everything is a bit more "manual" as there is no automated modules update/fetching. It really does need a seasoned installer...

The two biggest issues seem to be:
(1) ensure the compatible libraries are set up esp. for libpng.
(2) use a NRmobi2html.pl source code replacement in place of the windows executable. And substituing any windows executables supplied with the PDFRead-Installler with the source for programs listed in the common.py module.
Code:
COMMANDS = {
  'djvused'      : False,
  'gs'           : False,
  'NRhtml2mobi'  : False,
  'pdfinfo'      : False,
  'pdftk'        : False,
  'pngnq'        : False,
  'rbmake'       : False,
  'tiffcp'       : False,
  'tiffsplit'    : False,
  'unrar'        : False
}
Old 08-27-2009, 08:57 AM   #297
ebnez
ebnez began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle2
Thanks man
ebnez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 10:42 AM   #298
pixnaps
pixnaps began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
2-column pdfs

Hi, I'm having problems getting PDFread to split the columns evenly when using the 'portrait-2col' layout.

Here's my command line:
Code:
python pdfread.py -p prc-mobi-p -m portrait-2col -d tmp --mono --no-toc diggs.pdf
I've attached the source pdf and two mismatched output pngs so you can see the problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0.png
Views:	467
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	35161   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.png
Views:	481
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	35162  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf diggs.pdf (2.48 MB, 435 views)
pixnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 11:39 AM   #299
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixnaps View Post
Hi, I'm having problems getting PDFread to split the columns evenly when using the 'portrait-2col' layout.

Here's my command line:
Code:
python pdfread.py -p prc-mobi-p -m portrait-2col -d tmp --mono --no-toc diggs.pdf
I've attached the source pdf and two mismatched output pngs so you can see the problem.
Sorry, that's a known shortcoming with PDFRead; try PaperCrop instead, as per this post.

PDFRead just blindly picks the middle of the page, not the blank space between the columns.
Old 08-30-2009, 11:52 AM   #300
pixnaps
pixnaps began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks, yeah I used PaperCrop in the end. I was just puzzled because in this case the blank space IS in the middle of the page. If you look at the output PNGs, the left one is wider than the right. So PDFread isn't splitting the page evenly in this case.
pixnaps is offline   Reply With Quote