Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 01-12-2008, 11:18 AM   #1
dkm365
dkm365 began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad, Palm T|X
Unhappy M-edge discontinuing Neoprene Book Jacket

I just purchased my iLiad, and was looking for a suitable cover. Given the comments on this site and the iRex forums I was able to determine that other than a couple really good diy jobs that might be a bit beyond my skills, the M-Edge neoprene book jacket cover had the features I wanted. When I went to their site, it said they were out of stock. I e-mailed them to see when they would have them back in, and was told that they were discontinuing the model. They will be replacing it with a version of the Leisure Jacket for the Sony 505. This has a clear vinyl front over the screen, and I'm sure some will like that new choice, but unfortunately I need something with more screen protection.

I like the leather covers, but they all seem to have major design flaws from not securely holding the reader (iRex deluxe), a clasp that could damage the screen (again the iRex deluxe), is only sort of secure with glued on velcro (iRex cover- meant to be a good feature for those who wanted easy removal of reader), or is secured in such a way as to make the flip bar difficult to work (M-Edge executive). The neoprene book jacket had the advantage of securely holding the reader without interfering with the flip bar, the ability to fold the cover back completely, and the only big downside appears to be that the stylus was difficult to access (although some report being able to cut away part of the securing straps without undermining their effectiveness to resolve this). Now all of this is from reading what others have said, as I haven't seen any of these. If I'm mistaken or their have been changes made to address any of what I've listed as flaws, I'd be glad to be corrected.

Have I missed any non-diy options (other than the various pouches) that provide screen protection, secure the reader, and don't interfere with the use of the reader?

Just a dream, but I really wish there were something like the Piel Frama case for my Palm T|X where the cover flips over the top and folds flat similar to the diy case by forum member realityloop seen in this thread (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...?t=7045&page=5). I know I would butcher any attempt at imitation. OK, dream over.
dkm365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 05:28 PM   #2
-RenE-
-RenE- began at the beginning.

Device: Irex Iliad
I bought a M_edge neoprene cover immediately after buying my Iliad. It is a great solution preventing damage to the device. What a pity they will discontinue production of this great protective cover!

Surfing their website I found the eMotion Pilots Book Jacket for eFlyBook. Since the eFlyBook has the same dimensions as the Iliad, this may be a good alternative. Aside from the knee band (hopefully removable) it looks fairly identical to the neoprene jacket I bought. You may want to mail them for further specs.
-RenE- is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2008, 02:29 PM   #3
JWLaRue
Addict
JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (blue, of course!)
iLiad Shoulder Bag - where to buy?

Like most iLiad owners, I've been looking for some sort of cover to protect it. So far none of the book cover style products appear to offer protection against the iLiad from sliding out.....leaving something like the iRex shoulder bag product.

Does anyone know where this may be purchased where the shipping charges are not outrageous? (e.g. iRex charges $39.21 for a $16.95 product, ebooks.com charges $24.42)

-many thanks,

Jeff
JWLaRue is offline   Reply With Quote