Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-27-2013, 12:13 PM   #1
shakaote
shakaote knows what's going on.shakaote knows what's going on.shakaote knows what's going on.shakaote knows what's going on.shakaote knows what's going on.shakaote knows what's going on.shakaote knows what's going on.shakaote knows what's going on.shakaote knows what's going on.shakaote knows what's going on.shakaote knows what's going on.

Device: kindle touch
new keyboards

I added a Russian keyboard to 5.3.2 quickly and easily, so I thought I'd share. My apologies if this is already known; I poked around and didn't see the same info.

It looks like the standard method is to overwrite the Italian keyboard, but this is not necessary.

1) I found a Russian keyboard layout "it-600x800.keymap" and "it-800x600.keymap" somewhere in here: http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22586. I can't read Russian, but google can. Sort of. I think the credit goes to eureka? Sorry if I'm off on that one.

2) Copy the contents of /usr/share/keyboard somewhere, and make a directory "ru" inside it. Put the keymaps above inside, gzip them, and change the "it" in the filename to "ru".

3) Copy utils.so from keyboard/it/ into your Russian directory "ru". Open the file in the editor of your choice that won't wreck binary files. Change the string "kb-it" to "kb-ru", and the string "Italian" to "Russian". (Note that strlen("Italian") == strlen("Russian")).

4) rebuild keyboard.cramfs.img and copy it over the existing one in /usr/share.

5) I had to reboot - no idea how many services have to be restarted to let umount do it's thing.

Now I have a Russian keyboard, and still have an Italian keyboard. It even showed up in the keyboard picker without any more fiddling.

OK--- I sure hope that's what I did. Most of my hacking is done in rushed 5 minute increments or it doesn't happen at all :-(.

Cheers!
shakaote is offline   Reply With Quote