Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-08-2012, 04:20 PM   #1
pfui
pfui began at the beginning.

Device: none
What has been your experience with reading PDFs on the Paperwhite?

I'm looking forward to buying one when they become available in stores later this month -need to try before I buy-, but I was wondering how you guys felt about the device as a PDF reader? I get that PDFs were meant for reproducing print pages at true scale in electronic form, but that's the format that most of my textbooks come in. The reason I'm optimistic about the Paperwhite as a PDF raeder is that textbooks tend to be 6x9 inches in size which ought to make them more readable than the typical letter-sized PDFs.

If anyone could chime in with a mini-review of the Paperwhite's suitability for PDF reading, it would be of great service to those of still trying to make up their mind on whether or not to fork over 120 bucks for the Paperwhite.
pfui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:36 PM   #2
7hir7een
Reader of Books
7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Elipsa, Kindle Basic (11th gen)
Honestly, I liked how the Nook Touch/Glow handled PDF files considerably better. For textbooks, especially. It would pull the text out and reflow it so that you could change the font size to fit your needs, and then just read.

The Kindle only allows you to zoom in and out on a page-by-page basis, which means you need to constantly zoom and pan.

My textbooks, however, are full-size. Maybe if yours are not, you will not find this to be such an inconvenience.
7hir7een is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2012, 06:27 PM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
For the PDFs I use, reflow is totally useless. And there's no landscape viewing on Nook. Nook also does not support PDF bookmarks or links. No annotation.

So Touch and now Paperwhite are much better for my usage. The higher resolution of Paperwhite helps a little also. Most of the time what works best is to put it in landscape, which crops whitespace margins automatically and things are easier to read. But you can also double tap to put it into 'column nav' mode so it zooms and auto-crops in portrait. If you have any tables though, it gets a bit strange.

Sony PRS-Tx is a little better than Kindle since it allows on-device cropping (auto or manual) that sticks between reading sessions.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote