Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-18-2011, 11:58 AM   #1
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
Noob question about rooting/flashing ROM

I'm really interested in getting a nook tablet, but only if I'm going to be able to get ICS on it. I figured it was an eventual certainty, but something I read yesterday gave me pause - that you can't actually flash the ROM on the nook, only dual boot or root, but the original OS stays in place. Is that right? Does that mean that the 16GB of the nook tablet is always going to be exclusively for the use of the nook OS and that if ICS is an option, it'll have to be on an SD card? Or did I misinterpret what I read?

I'm pretty new to Android and have never hacked a nook so maybe I don't know what the rooting involves or allows.
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:14 PM   #2
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
The nook tablet is not currently rooted. There is a workaround that allows you to side-load apps, but I suspect that since the Google market does not work and everyone seems to be getting their apps from the Amazon market app, that B&N are going to close this loophole in the first update (this is just speculation on my part).

Maybe there will be ICS ROMS down the road, maybe not. Sounds like if there are, they won't be easy like with the color. And maybe not as safe for us non-technical types. The color was unbrickable.

I really regret buying this on day one. My bad, of course. Shoulda waited to see what happened. May still work out.

I suggest you hold off and see how things develop over the next couple of weeks.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2011, 12:29 PM   #3
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks soondai. I'm definitely going to wait until there is at least some solid progress towards ICS on the tablet before I buy one. I guess my question really was about the original nook color though - is it possible to flash the ROM (or whatever the equivalent is these days with DRAM/SSD/etc) on the orinal nook color or is it only possible to dual-boot in to a different flavor of Android off of an SD card?
Old 11-18-2011, 10:46 PM   #4
oppy
Connoisseur
oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nook Color
You can dual boot or run an Android mod ROM from the internal memory (eMMC).

From what I've seen elsewhere, ICS (assuming it's doable) is probably a couple months out for the NC.
oppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 12:10 PM   #5
weatherman
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by oppy View Post
You can dual boot or run an Android mod ROM from the internal memory (eMMC)..
Thanks - thats the info I was looking for. When you boot from the mod ROM has it replaced the existing OS? Does it have access to all the memory on the device?
Advert
Old 11-19-2011, 06:23 PM   #6
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherman View Post
Thanks - thats the info I was looking for. When you boot from the mod ROM has it replaced the existing OS?
Yes, the original is completely replaced. In fact, it is usually also desirable to repartition the internal storage to optimize it for the new OS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherman View Post
Does it have access to all the memory on the device?
CM7 does, and there is no reason that any other replacement OS could not also access all available memory.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 09:10 PM   #7
oppy
Connoisseur
oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nook Color
I've been using dual boot, so I have separate partitions with the stock OS and CM7.
oppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 06:19 PM   #8
weatherman
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
Yes, the original is completely replaced. In fact, it is usually also desirable to repartition the internal storage to optimize it for the new OS.

CM7 does, and there is no reason that any other replacement OS could not also access all available memory.
Awesome. Vielen dank!