Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 11-16-2011, 10:00 AM   #31
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
OK removed the use of sub dirs from the driver.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:23 AM   #32
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Query, Kovid: is there any way to have books being transferred to the Fire automatically have the [pdoc] tag removed if it's present? I've got a LOT of books in Calibre, and I'm sure they all have that tag. And if I do want transfer them to the Fire, I'd have to convert each and ever one of them to get everything to work correctly. Would be sweet if Calibre would do it automatically.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2011, 09:42 PM   #33
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm not going to make that change to calibre at large, but it is a trivial change to make, so if you're willing to run from source, I can tell you what the change should be: In the file metadata/mobi.py at line 364, add the following two lines:

Code:
        if self.original_exth_records.get(501, None) == b'PDOC':
             update_exth_record((501, b'EBOK'))
Also make sure you unset the pdoc setting in MOBI output preferences.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:42 PM   #34
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Fair answer, though I think it would be of use to most Fire owners, since it is definitely preferable to have our books show up as books, not personal documents. Not sure I want to always have to do this every build/version, but it's your call whether to change the overall source.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:50 PM   #35
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

If you run calibre from source, your changes will persist across upgrades (you will upgrade by updating the source).
Advert
Old 11-16-2011, 10:58 PM   #36
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
I don't have a Kindle but couldn't this be done by converting mobi to mobi and changing the mobi output from [PDOC] to [EBOK]?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:14 PM   #37
greycobalt
greycobalt began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
I'm horrible at any parts of coding or any shenanigans, besides following instructions, but if you get Calibre running just like it used to on the Kindle 3, that would be swell. Also, thanks for your hard work...I doubt I would read nearly as much if I didn't have this program.

It does seem though that Fire has done away with the collections aspect, no?
greycobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:19 PM   #38
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Also, note that, IIRC, the pdoc field was only set on metadata writing, not conversion, so the actual MOBI files in your calibre library should not have them set.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:13 AM   #39
Qylie
Qylie began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I agree thanks for all the hard work - I would not read nearly as much if Calibre didn't exist!
Qylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 04:48 PM   #40
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Also, note that, IIRC, the pdoc field was only set on metadata writing, not conversion, so the actual MOBI files in your calibre library should not have them set.
Is there any way to tell that a given book has that set, short of converting it? Perhaps a column or something?
gweminence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:05 PM   #41
Jeff L
Zealot
Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
You can see the EXTH records with Mobi2mobi. I don't know if Calibre has a way to view it as well.
Jeff L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 02:50 PM   #42
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Kovid, Calibre detecs the Fire fine, and sends books to it, fine (though my OCD-ness wishes it put them in the books folder, rather than the docs, lol...but mechanically, as discussed, this is moot, they show up under books tab), but, upon reconnecting, calibre does NOT recognize books that were sent in a previous session (from Calibre) as being on the device -- making both removing them with Calibre, and telling what's on the Fire when connected, problematic.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:05 PM   #43
gweminence
Fat Guy

For further edification: sending a book on the 2nd connect works fine, so Calibre is definitely 'seeing' the fire. Not sure what's up with reading the folder, though.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:39 PM   #44
SamL
I mess around with Epubs
SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: mac, ipad, nook, kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweminence View Post
Kovid, Calibre detecs the Fire fine, and sends books to it, fine (though my OCD-ness wishes it put them in the books folder, rather than the docs, lol...but mechanically, as discussed, this is moot, they show up under books tab), but, upon reconnecting, calibre does NOT recognize books that were sent in a previous session (from Calibre) as being on the device -- making both removing them with Calibre, and telling what's on the Fire when connected, problematic.
Yes I noticed the same thing. Once I eject my device (Fire) and reconnect it, Calibre does not recognize that any books are on the device.
SamL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:40 PM   #45
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Odd. Try running calibre in debug mode (right click the preferences button) and post the debug log on connecting the Kindle.

Tags
media player 11, mtp