Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-08-2011, 07:24 AM   #1
lgladen
lgladen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lgladen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lgladen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: evo
Series Index Auto Increment

Pardon if this has been asked and answered, but is there a way to turn off the auto increment of the series index number? I saw the tweaks in preferences, but none of them seemed to match what I wanted - the ability to manage the series in the tag browser and have the index number in existing books not change at all.
(edit - never mind - I just tried it again and the behavior was not as I remembered - Must have been recent changes, or just human error on my part)
(edit #2)
OK, now I see what was different. The example: I have Michael Moorcock's "Runestaff" books in Calibre. Books 2 and 3 were added with the series name "Runestaff". Books 1 and 4 were added (at a later time) with the series name "History of the Runestaff" Renaming the series to remove "History of the" results in books 1 and 4 becoming "Runestaff" 5 and 6, respectively. If there is not a series already in place called "Runestaff", the numbers on the books are left alone, and remain 1 and 4. If this auto-indexing could be turned off (with a new tweak, perhaps?) I would be an extremely happy camper.

Last edited by lgladen; 04-08-2011 at 07:36 AM.
lgladen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 05:28 AM   #2
lgladen
lgladen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lgladen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lgladen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Apologies for bumping the thread, but I just figured out the answer to my own question, and wanted to post it in case anyone else was interested: Kiwidude's "Manage Series" Plugin lets you "lock" the index number down before re-naming the series, keeping the number the same but allowing a name change - exactly what I was looking to do. Thanks Kiwidude!
Advert
Old 04-14-2011, 05:50 AM   #3
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
A six day old thread being "bumped" because you found an answer to share with others requires no apology, imho.

I had also written a "Rename Series" plugin that I never published a long time ago to do just the function you have described, but the Manage Series plugin became the official successor with a lot more functionality.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:50 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
FWIW: you can also do what you want with search/replace. Select the books you wish to change. Use regular expression mode, source = tempate, destination = series, template = "{series} {series_index:|[|]}", search for the series name, enter the new name into the replace box. The test boxes should show you the old series information (foo [12]) and the new series information (bar [12]).
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:14 AM   #5
lgladen

Thanks, Chaley - always glad to know another way to do it, and I have been using the Bulk editor quite a bit. Any time I can do what I want without switching windows is great!
Advert