Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-18-2011, 08:52 AM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Migrated to reading on a blackberry

So I have managed to migrate to reading on the blackberry. I have found three electronic stores for the purpose of feading my voracious apitite for books: mobipocket, Amazon and Borders. Here is the criteria that I will use to select the blackberry book store, in order of importance to me:

1) Lowest prices
2) Has absolutely everything
3) Best software

Who has the best service?
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 08:59 AM   #2
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
1) There is no right answer for this. There are times when Amazon will have the lowest price and others Barnes and Nobles... Sony, on the other hand seems to be expensive no matter the book.

2) No one has everything and no one will. There are exclusives at every store... however Amazon suits my needs

3) Amazon I think takes the cake with software since there are a ton of devices that you can use the software on. if you are looking for BB specific software then I have no idea since I have the iPhone and use that to read when on the go.

As for service... if you are talking about customer service, Amazon is the best there is! I once called about a book that had bad formatting and they not only refunded my money for the book ($3), they apologized and issued me an additional $5 credit that I could use for the purchase any other ebook that I wanted...

But like everything, this is my experience and your mileage will vary...
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2011, 02:33 PM   #3
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
don't forget the classics!

http://gutenberg.org/
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 02:55 PM   #4
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
On the third one I am looking for the reader itself, who has put the most thought into the reader and has the most feature packed reader. So far I am not that impressed by the reader from Borders.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:08 PM   #5
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
I am running Kobo software on my Blackberry 9800 Torch. That is an easy, seamless experience giving me access to all my Kobo books. Unlike B&N, Kobo is willing to sell to non-American residents. I haven't tried Amazon on the Torch yet but I will get to that at some point. It's nice to ne device, multiple formats / stores / libraries to select from.

Having said all this ... it's a nice to have but won't replace nightly reading on my Kindle 3 or Original Kobo.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2011, 06:57 AM   #6
thymaster
Zealot
thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2
I'm using Kobo and on my Torch 9800 and it's pretty good.
thymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:19 AM   #7
Ekdog
Connoisseur
Ekdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with others

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I'm thinking of getting a Blackberry, mainly because I'd like to use Kindle for BB in order to not have to carry my Kindle 3 around with me all the time. Which BB has the biggest screen? Which would you recommend for reading?
Ekdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:01 AM   #8
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
I believe the Torch is the largest screen - at least, it is the newest model. AT&T in the States. Not sure about European carriers. It is a touch-screen but has a real, hidden keyboard.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 11:41 AM   #9
Ekdog
Connoisseur
Ekdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with others

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
I believe the Torch is the largest screen - at least, it is the newest model. AT&T in the States. Not sure about European carriers. It is a touch-screen but has a real, hidden keyboard.
Thanks, FF2, but I've just checked and the Torch 9800 is available here in Spain, but for 545 euros (746 dollars)! I'll have to see if there isn't an older model available with fewer bells and whistles that I can afford.
Ekdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 12:36 PM   #10
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
The Kindle (and Kobo) app on the blackberry has the fairly major benefit over the other ones you mention in that it is still being updated regularly and isn't linked to a store that may die off.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote