Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-20-2013, 02:01 AM   #1
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Question prs-650 battery wearing out. Sell/replace ?

my prs-650, which i have used daily for 2-3 years seems to be coming to the end of its life. The battery is now only good for a couple of days reading before a recharge is needed. I have tried the usual fixes - soft/hard resets. I think it has simply exceeded the x 1000 recharges that the battery is designed for.

so my question is - how long now before it becomes completely unusable. Would it be ethical to auction it with a " short battery life" disclaimer, i.e. it is still good for plenty more use if kept on a charger or given a daily boost.

I looked at replacement batteries on amazon but reviews were not encouraging & it's probably more cost effective to auction as-is or to store as an emergency back-up device.

luckily I bought a spare, a couple of years back, which I never used so I have switched over to that, while I ponder the "benefit" of getting a newer model but then losing prs-plus.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 09:40 AM   #2
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
I personally wouldn't sell it. I'd junk it or maybe donate it to Goodwill. Disclaimers are pretty useless because many people don't read them so you end up causing yourself and the buyer grief. And you have to ask yourself would you be happy with a device that you need to charge on a daily basis that's supposed to last longer than that?

If you're not happy with it why would someone else be? And why would that someone else pay you good money for it + shipping. What would you sell it for? $5? $10? Plus shipping they're nearing $20 and someone could take that $20 and put it towards a newer reader. You'd only be disappointing someone by selling something to them that's on it's last legs. That's not a good experience.

It's up to you obviously but since you asked, I wouldn't sell it. I'd donate it to Goodwill. They can make some money and maybe someone who can't afford to buy a new reader can use one on the cheap for even a little while.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2013, 09:59 AM   #3
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Personally, I would use your spare and get a replacement battery for the old one. The x50 readers are just a thing of beauty and stability even today. The only thing some other readers might have over it is a front light. I've completely taken apart my 350 and it's not difficult at all to get to the battery and replace it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feRYVQz2FMo
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 01:45 PM   #4
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for both inputs. we don't have "goodwill" here in UK - We have charity shops e.g. Oxfam shops, but often they will not take anything "electrical" & if they did then they'd be selling it to someone anyway, probably without the disclaimer.
I hate binning stuff that still works so if the battery will continue to go for months on a quick wall charge every 2 -3 days then for a non-traveller that could be fine. But I don't have a feel for how fast batteries go from being poor to being hopelessly bad.

nice thing about the 650s is that they can run prs-plus, none of the newer sony readers can do that.

Ripplinger, how well is your replacement battery performing ?

Last edited by cybmole; 12-20-2013 at 01:47 PM.
Old 12-20-2013, 03:08 PM   #5
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I had my 350 apart to swap the shell from silver to blue and didn't need to replace the battery (yet). But I've purchased batteries from NewPower99.com for my Garmin and they work perfectly, just like a new battery, so I really wouldn't expect any issues at all replacing the battery.
Advert
Old 12-20-2013, 03:16 PM   #6
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Depends on how well a battery replacement works. And the cost. If it's not too expensive, why not try?
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 03:09 AM   #7
cybmole
Wizard

it is expensive though - about £22 from amazon UK , which is the only source that I can find, it it looks stressful as it's messing with special tools / tiny screws & I am not good at that. £22 is about 50% of what the reader woudl be worth, even if the fix worked. I am basing that on one listed at amazon, with a new battery already fitted, which is listed at about £44

if it was simple plug n play i'd go dor it, & return it if not good, but I doubt there's a rerurn option for the amaazon marketplace "99" guys, if you damage the battery or the reader when attempting the replacement.
Old 12-23-2013, 01:16 AM   #8
cybmole
Wizard

related question: having switched to my back-up 650 , there is definitely a visible difference in the shade of the "paper" background between the two 650s. I have checked that they have same firmware & that adjust view is set to default on both.
Is it a "trick of the eye" because one is silver surround, the other is black, or do different batches of e-ink screens come out slightly different from with other. the silver surround 650 seems to have more of a creamy colour tink to its screen,
Old 12-23-2013, 01:40 AM   #9
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

There can be a visual difference you see depending on the shell color. I've always put very dark skins on my silver readers, that difference being one of the reasons.

But you'll also find differences in the background color of the screens even on the same exact models when you put them side by side. I noticed it when I got my 2nd silver 350, and you'll find various threads about it. It's just how e-ink screens are, even the identical screen and size from the same batch.