Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-16-2013, 08:25 AM   #16276
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
I finished Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood last night. I dragged my feet a bit, to be honest, but it was a decent read. I was wondering how anyone could possibly consider it lit-fic rather than SF, and then it ended on an inconclusive note and I thought, yeah, lit-fic.

It's a post-apocalyptic/bio-engineering story, essentially. It reminded me a bit of The Windup Girl and The Road, maybe falling somewhere between the two.
You thinking of reading the next book - The Year of the Flood?
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:26 AM   #16277
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
That was a lot of fun. I wish it had a happier ending, but then the series would have been harder to continue. Oh well.

Next up is John Rain book 2 - A Lonely Resurrection - by Barry Eisler. He has said the books are supposed to be mostly stand-alone, but I hope that doesn't mean he will re-hash a lot of the background he gave in the first book. So far so good at 10% in.
Thanks for that. I guess this goes on the long list of books I've picked up that I actually should read some time.
Advert
Old 04-16-2013, 08:27 AM   #16278
caleb72
Indie Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
I am about 80% through and so far the gore isn't too bad although a few places had me decide to put off eating my snack for a while. I'll see what happens and what I think when I have finished it.
Thanks. Sounds like fun.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:30 AM   #16279
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
I've finally managed to put some thoughts together in a review of The Shining Girls but I'm not sure if I do it any justice at all.

I decided to power through on my Wheel of Time re-read and continued with book 8, The Path of Daggers. Slow going as usual, with far too many descriptions of what people are wearing. I'm almost finished and will definitely take a break from WoT to clean my palate a bit.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:50 AM   #16280
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I finished Alan Cooper's The Inmates are Running the Asylum. Very good. A very good way of looking at the issues with developing technological products (that involve software in some manner).
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2013, 03:07 PM   #16281
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: Shards of a Broken Crown by Raymond E. Feist.
A good read, and concludes the SerpentWar Saga well.

Next up: Austenland by Shannon Hale. It was the Kindle Daily Deal in the UK today, and it sounded too fun to pass up for £0.99. Now I find out if I was right to buy it.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:28 PM   #16282
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
You thinking of reading the next book - The Year of the Flood?
I'd like to read more Atwood, including Year of the Flood, but I don't know when I'll ever get around to it. I read this one because I already had it, and I think I've had it for more than 8 years.

It was also my 9th consecutive pbook, although I have read a handful of eshortstories in between. I have finally gone back to electronic reading for my next book.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:04 PM   #16283
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
I'd like to read more Atwood, including Year of the Flood, but I don't know when I'll ever get around to it. I read this one because I already had it, and I think I've had it for more than 8 years.

It was also my 9th consecutive pbook, although I have read a handful of eshortstories in between. I have finally gone back to electronic reading for my next book.
A third book in the series has been announced, actually! Called MaddAdam, I believe.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:13 PM   #16284
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
I've read 26 pbooks and 3 ebooks this year. My reading challenge for this year has definitely skewed the ratio a little.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:31 PM   #16285
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post

Next I'll try A Beautiful Blue Death by Charles Finch.
This was his debut title and my second title read of this author. I enjoyed his later book A Stranger in Mayfair (#4) more. This one was split between cozy and suspense and it came out lukewarm. Many paragraphs spent on smoking, drinking, breakfast and tea. Clues were subtle and most things wrapped up in the end. A few 'yeah, right' moments that brought this down compared to his later book. He improved with time. Character development and historical background were definite pluses. Rated C- [3 stars]

Undecided what next to open.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:48 PM   #16286
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
I decided to power through on my Wheel of Time re-read and continued with book 8, The Path of Daggers. Slow going as usual, with far too many descriptions of what people are wearing. I'm almost finished and will definitely take a break from WoT to clean my palate a bit.
You might find this reader review of book 10 amusing. I think Robert Jordan gets more wordy as the series goes on. Is it as bad as in this parody?

I haven't read that far in the series and I don't expect to start my reread soon.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:16 PM   #16287
caleb72
Indie Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
A third book in the series has been announced, actually! Called MaddAdam, I believe.
Oooh thanks for that. I'll put that on my list of books to buy my mother. Always great when the gift ideas present themselves so easily without me having to look.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:18 PM   #16288
caleb72
Indie Advocate

Quote:
It was also my 9th consecutive pbook,
I've only read one pbook this year which was Lolita. I found the experience torture. I couldn't possibly have done it 9 times in a row.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:03 AM   #16289
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
I've lost my virginity! I've just listened to my first audio book!
Rather than bagpipe music or Sousa marches, I decided to try something different on my long walk, and picked up Asimov's "Caves of Steel," a BBC radio drama. Two hours of fast and hard uphill and down, and by the time I was back in my neighborhood, I was just about at the end of the program and the only way I knew for sure that I'd been walking was that my clothes were soaking wet from the effort! What a delightful way to do Asimov!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:43 AM   #16290
caleb72
Indie Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I've lost my virginity! I've just listened to my first audio book!
Rather than bagpipe music or Sousa marches, I decided to try something different on my long walk, and picked up Asimov's "Caves of Steel," a BBC radio drama. Two hours of fast and hard uphill and down, and by the time I was back in my neighborhood, I was just about at the end of the program and the only way I knew for sure that I'd been walking was that my clothes were soaking wet from the effort! What a delightful way to do Asimov!

Stitchawl
I lost mine with Jane Eyre (almost finished now). It's been a delightful experience although it wasn't a full dramatisation, it was a narration. I play while I'm walking, while I'm driving, while I'm crocheting and while I'm shopping.

I'd definitely do it again for some of the classics that I'd like to read, but find it hard to commit the time to.