Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-06-2010, 06:41 PM   #16
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
Justification would be great, especially as it can be controlled by the styles in each epub, so everyone would be happy - as we could easily format epubs to our own preference.
The ability to control the justification format would be great. I prefer left justification, some prefer full justification. Prior to epub I used a hack on my prs-505 to make it left justification. Having the choice would be perfect.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:46 PM   #17
justanut
eBookworm
justanut began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300, HTC Hero, iPhone
Agree that the side page numbers bug me but i don't miss justification. No unsightly gaps in a sentence thank you!

I rather they gave us the option to set custom font sizes on the go, 10-26? rather than SML.
justanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:17 PM   #18
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanut View Post
Agree that the side page numbers bug me but i don't miss justification. No unsightly gaps in a sentence thank you!
The first time I heard about the side numbers I had no idea what people were complaining about. At the time I had read about 10 books in epub format. I had to go back and look close to see the numbers. I set my books to size 16 font and on my reader the numbers appear to be about 1/3 that font size. If I was on a reader with full justification it may have bothered me more.

When you have older eyes and increase the font size to 16 or 18 then full justification is not attractive due to those "unsightly gaps." Having the option to turn full justification on or off would be great.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:39 AM   #19
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalthia View Post
It can't be that hard to roll out a firmware upgrade to fix this, is it?
As a programmer I would say these seem to be relatively simple fixes to code into the firmware of the earlier versions (perhaps justification is a bit more complex). I would think there would be more effort involved in the logistics of testing the new firmwares and then rolling them out. Unfortunately I can't see any real incentive for Sony to do this.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 07:52 AM   #20
goaspy
Connoisseur
goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mint View Post
I find my PRS505 opens epub files much faster than lrf. Every time when I open lrf, the reader will take a few seconds rendering it. This never happens with epub. I find this odd, you'd think that since lrf is Sony's proprietary format, the Sony reader would be able to render it quickly.
From what I noticed, the delay only happens once for every font size.
After it's cached, book loads and size changes are fast on my PRS600.

I prefer the look and feel of LRF, with the text justified and the S size a bit bigger than ePub S.

The conversion from ePub to LRF with Calibre is almost perfect. I only noticed two problems, when converting book from feedbooks, the rectange surrounding the chapter number is gone, and between chapters there are some empty pages.
goaspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 02:27 PM   #21
fglaysher
Connoisseur
fglaysher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fglaysher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fglaysher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader & Aluratek Libre Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
The side page numbers are courtesy of Adobe. Sony is using Adobe's mobile software for EPUB. They are also personal preference. I happen to like them.

I like the side numbers too. Aren't they a way of referring to an original printed text? That's important for researchers and just anyone wanting to cite a source accurately.
fglaysher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 05:41 PM   #22
PaladinBL
Enthusiast
PaladinBL began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I just read my first book on PRS-505 and it was in LRF. Now I reading another book but this time it is ePub, so that I can see and feel the difference.

LRF is nice, page turns are fast. There is an empty space on top and bottom that are sufficient for one more text line at the top and one more text line at the bottom.

ePut does not have that large margins and the font is smaller so books have more text on pages. But I think that page turns are slower in ePub and...I am not very sure about this but it looks like page turns are slower now at 120. page than it was on beginning of the book. I will see how it will be after 200-300 pages.
PaladinBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:51 PM   #23
rmm200
Groupie
rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I would think one consideration is that LRF is an obsolete format no longer supported by Sony, and not likely to be available on new devices.

Robert
rmm200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:31 PM   #24
darkpoet
ePub Headbanger
darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Boox Poke4 / Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by fglaysher View Post
I like the side numbers too. Aren't they a way of referring to an original printed text? That's important for researchers and just anyone wanting to cite a source accurately.
Nope. Way off. They seem to be almost arbitrary. An ePub is composed of HTML files and images. A new "page" seems to occur with a certain number of characters and with new HTML files. For example, one ePub I have packs 5 images on one "page" despite being full-page images. I wish there was a way to track force page numbers in ePub to match the printed version of a book, but there isn't.
darkpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:01 PM   #25
soilwork
useR!
soilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2, Kobo Libra H2O, iRiver Story HD
I start to like epub better than lrf mainly because I can get true italics. I did not know that I hated artificial italics in LRF before using epub. Also, jagged right does not bother me so justification is not a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaladinBL View Post
ePut does not have that large margins and the font is smaller so books have more text on pages.
About font size of epub, you can modify the CSS files to get larger fonts in epub quite easily. If you are comfortable using command line, you can use a simple batch file that automates the job.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=20

Also, I guess you can change the margin while running ebook-convert.exe by tweaking the following options.
--margin-bottom
--margin-left
--margin-right
--margin-top

Last edited by soilwork; 03-11-2010 at 09:09 PM.
soilwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:39 PM   #26
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkpoet View Post
Nope. Way off. They seem to be almost arbitrary. An ePub is composed of HTML files and images. A new "page" seems to occur with a certain number of characters and with new HTML files. For example, one ePub I have packs 5 images on one "page" despite being full-page images. I wish there was a way to track force page numbers in ePub to match the printed version of a book, but there isn't.
It is not way off. If I choose to distribute Catch 22 to my class in epub format then the page numbers will be the same no matter what font size or reader they use. If one person cites page 84 everyone else will be on the same page.