Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 03-06-2009, 01:44 PM   #1
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Can Mobi books be 'exploded'

I'm just learning the ins and outs of the Mobi format now that I have a K2. I'm wondering if a Mobi book can be 'exploded' in any way, like a lit can be. The book I'm reading right now has TM's (trademark symbol) in place of asterisks where asterisks are used to separate part of a chapter (sorry, don't know the proper term). I'd like to fix these, but don't really want to have to change the Mobi to HTML & completely recreate the book.

With a Lit I'd just explode it, edit the HTML and then re-build it with Readerworks.

Any ideas?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:46 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
The mobiperl toolset has a mobi2html.

https://dev.mobileread.com/trac/mobiperl

I also think that calibre has an any2oeb that will do this.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:50 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Use mobi2oeb that comes with Calibre.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:50 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks. I guess I'm hoping to get a whole package (HTML, jpeg, oeb) and not just the straight HTML that mobi2html gives you. I'll check out any2oeb.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:52 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Thanks. I guess I'm hoping to get a whole package (HTML, jpeg, oeb) and not just the straight HTML that mobi2html gives you. I'll check out any2oeb.
The doc says:

A script to explode a DRM-free MobiPocket file to html. If no unpack directory is specified the directory unpacked in the current directory will be used.

BOb
Old 03-06-2009, 02:01 PM   #6
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
mobi2htm gives you everything. Except that oeb information is not in the file so the script does not try to guess how it should look like. You get html code and all the images.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 02:12 PM   #7
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Use mobi2oeb that comes with Calibre.
Yes, that does a better job in getting the complete "package."
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 02:19 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Thanks gang. I used mobi2oeb and got what I was hoping for except the resulting opf wouldn't open in Mobi Creator to rebuild the book. I use oeb2mobi and it worked, kinda. Not exactly formatted (font & spacing) that the original had, but it's good otherwise.
Old 03-06-2009, 02:22 PM   #9
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks gang. I used mobi2oeb and got what I was hoping for except the resulting opf wouldn't open in Mobi Creator to rebuild the book.
That's odd -- I've never had that happen with output from mobi2oeb. Guess you found an "edge case."
Old 03-06-2009, 02:22 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Wait, what?

You mean you can't open an existing mobipocket book in mobipocket creater in order to edit it?

BOb
Old 03-06-2009, 02:23 PM   #11
bwaldron
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
You mean you can't open an existing mobipocket book in mobipocket creater in order to edit it?
No, I don't think you can.
Old 03-06-2009, 02:23 PM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Wait, what?

BOb
Not that I could figure out.
Old 03-06-2009, 02:24 PM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
No, I don't think you can.
Ok, that is lame! Or is mobi creator not an editor and just a transformation tool? I have never used it.

BOb
Old 03-06-2009, 02:25 PM   #14
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
That's odd -- I've never had that happen with output from mobi2oeb. Guess you found an "edge case."
Yeah, I got about 100 css errors when it was generating. The end file should work for my purposes though.
Old 03-06-2009, 02:27 PM   #15
bwaldron
Wizard

Quote:
Ok, that is lame! Or is mobi creator not an editor and just a transformation tool? I have never used it.
Nope, not an editor -- it "creates" mobi books from other formats.