Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 01-22-2017, 05:10 PM   #46
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I was looking over what I might want to third, but I've noticed that The Friends of Eddie Coyle needs a proper description or I cannot possibly third it. This means it needs to replace the non-description in the nominated thread.
I've added one from Goodreads.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 05:23 PM   #47
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I've added one from Goodreads.
Can we please do away with the review and is there a description that's better? The problem with GoodReads is that the descriptions aren't actually correct or the best available. I would say to take down the GoodReads description if a good description is found.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 07:00 PM   #48
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
Oh, by the way, The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency is on Overdrive https://www.overdrive.com/media/4342...tective-agency
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 07:30 AM   #49
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If we do not get 10 full nods, when are the nominations going to end? I'd like to know so I can make sure I use my last nod before it's too late.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:34 AM   #50
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

One quick note...

If you want your nomination to make more of a chance to win, please check if it is available via Overdrive and post the link. If I find a book is available at Overdrive but there is no link given, I will not give a nod nor will I vote for it. You have to do the work to get a chance for a nod and/or a vote.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:44 AM   #51
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
One quick note...

If you want your nomination to make more of a chance to win, please check if it is available via Overdrive and post the link. If I find a book is available at Overdrive but there is no link given, I will not give a nod nor will I vote for it. You have to do the work to get a chance for a nod and/or a vote.
Kind of cutting off your nose to spite your face, possibly. Suppose someone nominated a book you thought absolutely the bee's knees? And according to what you've just said, you've already done the work of checking OverDrive and then you reject it? Sheesh, Jon!

I don't think the OverDrive link is terribly useful, myself. I still had to go to the BPL website to see that 72 people are waiting per copy of The Dry. Should be available in about three years!
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:23 AM   #52
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
If we do not get 10 full nods, when are the nominations going to end? I'd like to know so I can make sure I use my last nod before it's too late.
Quote:
Help us select the book that the MobileRead Book Club will read for February, 2017.

The nominations will run through midnight EST January 26 or until 10 books have made the list. The poll will then be posted and will remain open for five days....
That help?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:49 AM   #53
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
That help?
Perfect. Thanks.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:52 AM   #54
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Kind of cutting off your nose to spite your face, possibly. Suppose someone nominated a book you thought absolutely the bee's knees? And according to what you've just said, you've already done the work of checking OverDrive and then you reject it? Sheesh, Jon!

I don't think the OverDrive link is terribly useful, myself. I still had to go to the BPL website to see that 72 people are waiting per copy of The Dry. Should be available in about three years!
At the library I have The Dry on reserve, I'm next. I should get it within 2 weeks max.

What I do is when a book is suggested, I go see what sort of wait list there is at Overdrive so I can try to get it in time if it wins. Doesn't always work but it does sometimes.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:01 AM   #55
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'd be willing to give The Dry a try for the setting, but $12.99 is far too much to pay for any form of light fiction, by my buying criteria. I hope others have better luck at their libraries or deeper pockets!
Old 01-23-2017, 10:15 AM   #56
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Overdrive links are essentially useless. I do them for Jon, but they don't tell me what's available in MY library.

As for The Dry, no chance. At $13, it's too expensive and it isn't even available at the BC Library.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 10:22 AM   #57
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Overdrive links are essentially useless. I do them for Jon, but they don't tell me what's available in MY library.
I find them useful. When a book is nominated, I can go see if I can maybe get it in time and that can influence if I give a nod and/or vote. I find that if I wait until we find out the winner or even if it gets 3 nods, I may be too late. Besides, I can always take off hold or return if I am not going to read.

Quote:
As for The Dry, no chance. At $13, it's too expensive and it isn't even available at the BC Library.
Looks like The Dry is not going to get to the vote. So I'll save it for the next time it appropriate to nominate it.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:25 AM   #58
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
74 holds on 1 copy is just silly. BPL really needs more copies.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:59 AM   #59
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
I find them useful. When a book is nominated, I can go see if I can maybe get it in time and that can influence if I give a nod and/or vote. I find that if I wait until we find out the winner or even if it gets 3 nods, I may be too late. Besides, I can always take off hold or return if I am not going to read .
But Charlie's point, with which I concur, is that you still have to look at your own libraries' holdings anyway. The general OverDrive link has very limited utility; it just tells you whether or not the book is available to OverDrive libraries. Time wasted, IMO; you might as well cut to the chase.
Old 01-23-2017, 01:31 PM   #60
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
But Charlie's point, with which I concur, is that you still have to look at your own libraries' holdings anyway. The general OverDrive link has very limited utility; it just tells you whether or not the book is available to OverDrive libraries. Time wasted, IMO; you might as well cut to the chase.
There are books I will not pay for but will read if I can get from OD. There are books I will pay for if I cannot get from OD.

In the first category, if I can get from OD and I want to read it enough, I'll give a nod and/or a vote. In the second category, I will give a nod if I have any left and a vote.

Using OD means if a books wins, I may read it if I would not otherwise pay for it.