Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-22-2013, 12:24 PM   #1
CandaceVan
CandaceVan began at the beginning.

Device: inkBook Obsidian, calibre, iPad Mini, Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Calibre v.1.3.0 crashing

I'm having problems with Calibre crashing on me or throwing error messages like, "calibre, version 1.3.0 ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>IOError</b>:[Errno 24] Too many open files...."

I ran the check library, and it reported no problems. I tried to run another portion of the program that checks files and Calibre crashed. Just now I reopened the program and tried to run "Check Library," only to get an error message saying: "ImportError:No module named check_library."

Can anyone help me understand what's going on and what do about it? I have my 4,000+ ebook library in it on the Mac, where I've used it for several years without a problem.

-- Candace
CandaceVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:27 PM   #2
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Have you been installing Calibre on top of your previous version for some time?

A few weeks ago, I had a similar problem. Backing up the configuration folder (to make sure you don't lose it), uninstalling Calibre completely and then re-installing it solved the problem.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 01:18 PM   #3
CandaceVan

I have been installing one version on top of another. I'll follow your suggestion -- I hope that it works!
Old 09-23-2013, 01:28 PM   #4
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It did for me. I didn't even need to put the backup of the configuration folder back. The new installation just used the old one.

If worst comes to worst and it still doesn't work, remove calibre completely, and also remove its configuration directory. Then re-install. You'll need to reinstall and reconfigure everything, including plugins.

However, your database will be unaffected. (Still, back it up just to be safe.)

You just point the new installation to the old database and it will pick it up, including custom columns and all. If you have reinstalled and it crashes when processing your database, then you're possibly in big trouble...

Last edited by Katsunami; 09-23-2013 at 01:30 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:55 PM   #5
CandaceVan

Thank you, thank you, thank you! That seems to have solved the problems I was experiencing.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:15 PM   #6
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

You're welcome.

Tags
calibre, crashing, error messages