Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-29-2013, 08:14 AM   #1
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
New library in Birmingham - Europe's largest

From the BBC website, the new Library of Birmingham. This is a five minute walk from where I work, so I'll be visiting next week

Quote:
The new Library of Birmingham - opening next week - is believed to be Europe's largest public library. But despite striking modern architecture, a room from the 19th Century has been recreated inside to house one of the UK's most important Shakespeare collections.
I'd be interested in people's opinions on the external look of the place - it's had mixed reviews here. The recreated 19th Century room looks pretty cool to me (it's shown in the video at about 2:30 onwards for the impatient ones among you).
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:19 AM   #2
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
WOW. Extremely impressive.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:01 AM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
From the BBC website, the new Library of Birmingham. This is a five minute walk from where I work, so I'll be visiting next week

I'd be interested in people's opinions on the external look of the place - it's had mixed reviews here. The recreated 19th Century room looks pretty cool to me (it's shown in the video at about 2:30 onwards for the impatient ones among you).
The inside is gorgeous! But the exterior is ghastly! I keep expecting some knight in shining armor to jump out of that chainmail it's wrapped in.
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:07 AM   #4
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
The inside is gorgeous! But the exterior is ghastly! I keep expecting some knight in shining armor to jump out of that chainmail it's wrapped in.
Kind of puts me in mind of the razor wire they string around prison perimeters. Oh, but what a nice prison inside.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:10 AM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Blue View Post
Kind of puts me in mind of the razor wire they string around prison perimeters. Oh, but what a nice prison inside.
Help, I'm surrounded by books and can't get out
Old 08-29-2013, 10:16 AM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Now my library has a competitor for the most horrid looking exterior

Seattle Public Library

Old 08-29-2013, 10:33 AM   #7
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I like the pattern on the outside, but the massing is just off to me and the chainmail just seems so tacked on and separate in some views. In other views it's quite striking, but on the whole it's leaving me underwhelmed on the outside.

The inside is also hit and miss for me, sometimes wonderful, sometimes too impersonal. It does look like a fun space to photograph compositionally.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:51 AM   #8
Gardenman
Wizard
Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350,Nook HD+, Kindle 2nd gen, kindle keyboard
Whoever deisigns these places should be locked up on an island somewhere. So they cant do any more harm.
Gardenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:52 AM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardenman View Post
Whoever deisigns these places should be locked up on an island somewhere. So they cant do any more harm.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:59 AM   #10
Grace Elliot
Groupie
Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Couldn't agree more.
I visit Birmingham once a year for a conference and so have been following the development of the site for while, from building site to finished article. The artist's impression of the exterior, shown on the hoarding, made me cross my fingers that the finished item would be better than it looked. WRONG.
The exterior is hideous - a monstrosity even. The architect must have tried really hard to design something that ugly. Interlocking hoops of steel - of various sizes - hmmm and colours. If I'm being incredibly generous it might look passable from a great (and I mean a very great) distance, on a dark night with your eyes half-shut...but close to it's an epic fail.
Have I made my opinion clear?
PS And you would have thought Birmingham learnt their lesson with ugly buildings...
Grace Elliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:16 AM   #11
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Now my library has a competitor for the most horrid looking exterior

Seattle Public Library

Doesn't even come close
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:26 AM   #12
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Personally, I quite like it. It's certainly a bit different, and maybe an acquired taste, but compared to the old library (formless, grey concrete) it's much better. I seem to recall people having similar reservations about the Selfridges in Birmingham when that went up but that seems to be accepted, even loved, now.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:31 AM   #13
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
I seem to recall people having similar reservations about the Selfridges in Birmingham when that went up but that seems to be accepted, even loved, now.
...that's even worse. What planet did that come from?
Old 08-29-2013, 12:30 PM   #14
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
I didn't mind the Library's exterior too much, but it was a bit too busy for my tastes.

That Selfridges building though...

I don't think I could ever use that walkway - too much like climbing through the trunk and into the sinuses of a cyclopean elephant/whale hybrid.
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:57 PM   #15
SleepyBob
Evangelist
SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Aside from the bizarre grating on the exterior, I think it looks very, very nice!
SleepyBob is offline   Reply With Quote