Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-05-2013, 10:20 AM   #1
audeojude
Connoisseur
audeojude can read faster than his screen refreshesaudeojude can read faster than his screen refreshesaudeojude can read faster than his screen refreshesaudeojude can read faster than his screen refreshesaudeojude can read faster than his screen refreshesaudeojude can read faster than his screen refreshesaudeojude can read faster than his screen refreshesaudeojude can read faster than his screen refreshesaudeojude can read faster than his screen refreshesaudeojude can read faster than his screen refreshesaudeojude can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: kindle 1
Calibre system resources used

What does calibre load into memory when it starts? On my system on start up it has a footprint of 968 megs of ram.

Since calibre is one of my most used programs and I have 8 gigs of ram this doesn't really inconvenience me but I was curious about why memory use is so high.

I have a very large library if that helps.

system is ubuntu linux 64 bit 12.04
older intel quad core with 8 gigs of ram.

I am always running the latest version of calibre.
audeojude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:33 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by audeojude View Post
What does calibre load into memory when it starts? On my system on start up it has a footprint of 968 megs of ram.

Since calibre is one of my most used programs and I have 8 gigs of ram this doesn't really inconvenience me but I was curious about why memory use is so high.

I have a very large library if that helps.

system is ubuntu linux 64 bit 12.04
older intel quad core with 8 gigs of ram.

I am always running the latest version of calibre.
I only have 32 bit Ubuntu (none over 2G RAM): The foot print is smaller than on my windows boxes and about half of what you report.
By any chance is the:
metatdata backup still running (right-click Library Icon: backup status)?
Is the Task wheel spinning (scanning a device)?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2013, 02:22 PM   #3
joiwind
joiwind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joiwind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joiwind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joiwind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joiwind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joiwind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joiwind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joiwind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joiwind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joiwind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joiwind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo
@audiojude : try going to Preferences>Look and Feel> then change the User Interface style to System default - this worked here anyway to drastically reduce the footprint.
joiwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:27 AM   #4
audeojude
Connoisseur
audeojude can read faster than his screen refreshesaudeojude can read faster than his screen refreshesaudeojude can read faster than his screen refreshesaudeojude can read faster than his screen refreshesaudeojude can read faster than his screen refreshesaudeojude can read faster than his screen refreshesaudeojude can read faster than his screen refreshesaudeojude can read faster than his screen refreshesaudeojude can read faster than his screen refreshesaudeojude can read faster than his screen refreshesaudeojude can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: kindle 1
I don't see/have the system icon running that I can check on that backup running. How else can I check? I disabled the system Icon due to advice from kovid to help being able to shut down calibre and leave no running processes in the background when I have closed the UI.

I am already running the interface as system default so that doesn't seem to be an option I can change.
audeojude is offline   Reply With Quote