Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-06-2012, 08:47 AM   #1
Rolzup
Rolzup began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Simple Touch charge issues?

I picked up a Simple Touch two weeks ago, and I've been very happy with it -- it's a lot faster than my Kobo, and the whole touch screen thing is just a joy.

However....

Twice in these two weeks, it's gone from a 90%+ charge to NOTHING, overnight. Wireless is off, it was in sleep mode on both occasions.

Is this a known issue? Do I need to return it and get a new one?

Do I need to turn it off, rather than sleep it? This is certainly the case with my Kobo, and one of the things that irks me about it/

Could the temperature make a difference? The Touch was in my backpack last night, hanging on a door that opened out into a very cold night.

Any ideas?
Rolzup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:35 AM   #2
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
Hi Rolzup,

Yes, it's unfortunately a known issue with some Nook ST's.

Read this thread and the very helpful post from RAH: HERE

Here's a summary of RAH's technique:

"1) charging it to 100%
2) let it sleep over night/ Next morning it might be around 88% (i.e. terrible battery drain)
3) connect it to your computer via USB cable and let it charge again up to 100% (i.e. "top it off")
This has ALWAYS fixed the drain problem for me. After doing this, it only loses about 2 or 3% per day (sleeping or using, no WiFi).
"

RAH's top-off technique works 100% of the time for me!

Marty
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:54 AM   #3
Rolzup

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyTX View Post
Hi Rolzup,

Yes, it's unfortunately a known issue with some Nook ST's.

Read this thread and the very helpful post from RAH: HERE

Here's a summary of RAH's technique:

"1) charging it to 100%
2) let it sleep over night/ Next morning it might be around 88% (i.e. terrible battery drain)
3) connect it to your computer via USB cable and let it charge again up to 100% (i.e. "top it off")
This has ALWAYS fixed the drain problem for me. After doing this, it only loses about 2 or 3% per day (sleeping or using, no WiFi).
"

RAH's top-off technique works 100% of the time for me!

Marty
I'll give that a shot when I get home tonight. What's been driving me nuts is that the power drain is fine for a few days -- it was dead on Sunday morning, I charged it to 100%, and it was at 97% last night after spending four days in sleep mode with intermittent reading.

This morning, dead.

Would turning it off fully make any difference?
Old 12-06-2012, 11:09 AM   #4
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolzup View Post
I'll give that a shot when I get home tonight. What's been driving me nuts is that the power drain is fine for a few days -- it was dead on Sunday morning, I charged it to 100%, and it was at 97% last night after spending four days in sleep mode with intermittent reading.

This morning, dead.

Would turning it off fully make any difference?
I don't fully power off, so my guess is that it would extend battery life, but I don't know for sure. Fully powering off should NOT be necessary.

Your battery symptoms are much worse than I've experienced ... from 97% to dead overnight sounds like a bad battery or some intermittent electrical problem. If you have a local B&N store, check with them about a replacement.

If you're getting close to the end of the "free replacement" timeperiod, don't waste too much time on the "top-off" technique.

Good luck ...
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:56 PM   #5
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
This is a known issue and seems to be very common problem. You don't need to follow this topping off solution. After you have charged the reader 100%, simply power it off. Then after you power it back on it will be fine. You can keep Wi-fi on and let it sleep when not in use and it will discharge normally. That means roughly 1-2% per hour that you read or overnight with no use. This procedure has worked for most people, including me!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:22 PM   #6
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
One other thing some people have reported is a cover that almost touches the screen (these infrared touch screens react to any object close to the screen) and prevents to Nook from going to sleep mode.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:09 PM   #7
Rolzup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
This is a known issue and seems to be very common problem. You don't need to follow this topping off solution. After you have charged the reader 100%, simply power it off. Then after you power it back on it will be fine. You can keep Wi-fi on and let it sleep when not in use and it will discharge normally. That means roughly 1-2% per hour that you read or overnight with no use. This procedure has worked for most people, including me!
I will give this a shot as well. However....

I brought it to the store a little while ago, and the clerk -- very helpful, by the way -- told me that the Black Friday Nooks were apparently a batch that had been found in a warehouse somewhere. As a result, they all had the 1.0 version of the software.

And because I'd turned the Wireless off on my right away, it had never updated, and was around 12 updates behind.

We plugged it in, waited until it had enough power, and then updated to the most current version.

We'll see if this solves the problem. But because it's a battery issue, and because it's now on my record that I've brought it, it's covered by the regular warranty and not just the two week window. So I shall see what the next week or so brings.

Thank you all!
Old 12-07-2012, 07:23 AM   #8
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
This is a known issue and seems to be very common problem. You don't need to follow this topping off solution. After you have charged the reader 100%, simply power it off. Then after you power it back on it will be fine.
Yes, this technique of powering fully off (which reboots the entire device) will also work to solve the rapid drain problem. I have also been using it for the last few months with good results. My "topping off" procedure which was posted above also works, but is more difficult to do.

The powering off procedure did not work at one point - (I know, I tried it and was disappointed), so that was why more experimentation was done and the topping off technique discovered. But at some point, a firmware update was done that made the powering off work for this problem.

I should mention here that the latest update to 1.2 has changed things in this area. Powering off still seems to work, but it works differently. It used to be that after I recharged and powered off and turned it on, it would stay at 100% for at least 3 days, even in use. Then it would gradually start to drop.

But after the 1.2 update, it now starts to drop immediately after I turn it back on. At first, I thought that it was going to start draining rapidly again and that the poweroff technique no longer works. But no, it still drains correctly now after the poweroff, it just doesn't sit at 100% for 3 days anymore. This is clearly more accurate.

In fact, I am kind of hoping that maybe the 1.2 update fixed the entire rapid-drain problem for me. Maybe I no longer have to poweroff (or top off) my Touch after a recharge. I'll know as soon as I charge it again in about 4 or 5 days.

As far as the problems of the OP in this particular thread, I agree with what others have said that such an extreme rapid drain (overnight!) is probably a different problem. But maybe getting it up to the current firmware level will fix it, since as I mentioned, firmware updates can change things in this area.

Last edited by RAH; 12-07-2012 at 07:28 AM.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:50 AM   #9
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH View Post
In fact, I am kind of hoping that maybe the 1.2 update fixed the entire rapid-drain problem for me. Maybe I no longer have to poweroff (or top off) my Touch after a recharge. I'll know as soon as I charge it again in about 4 or 5 days.
I recharged my Nook with the rapid-drain problem last night, and then I let it sleep for the entire night, to see if the new update fixed the problem. Well, in the morning it was down to 82%. So much for that idea.

So now I am topping it off, back up to 100%, after which it will be OK for another 3 or 4 weeks. As I said in my post above, I prefer the power-off technique and will go back to using it from now on. I just did that last experiment to see if somehow the latest update fixed the problem entirely. At least my Nook is consistent!
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote