Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-11-2012, 09:25 AM   #1
VirgoGirl
"Why is it doing *that*?"
VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Black Kobo Touch & Glo, responsible for 2 PaperWhites
Question Flashing Blue LED?

Hello!

This morning I tried to power on my KT (it was "powered off"), but all I got was the blue LED flashing twice, then nothing happened.

Last night, my meter showed maybe a little less than 1/8th left of the power, so while I knew I'd probably have to charge it today, I was irked that I couldn't power it on to charge (if I don't power it on to connect, it automatically goes into "read while charging mode", which I don't think charges as efficiently as "connected and charging mode").

Anyway, I plugged it into the wall to charge, it powered up and, yes, went into "read while charging mode", which meant I had to unplug it and plug it back in to trigger the choice of how to connect.

My question is: what the does the flashing blue light mean? Does it mean powering up, but as I was low on power it wouldn't/couldn't turn on? (bolded 'cuz I tend to babble)

I don't know how accurate that little battery icon is, but I would have thought that I had enough power to boot it up. It seems to be charging fine, but as it's just out of warranty by a month I don't know what I would do if it was bricked.

Thanks for reading!
VirgoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:29 PM   #2
vice-versa
whippet addict
vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura 6", Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Sage
when powering on, the Touch (and the Glo) always start with flashing blue light and then green. I think yours tried to start but was out of juice, so the power shut off. As for me, I never have any issue about battery life when pluggin in the wall (and so "charging while reading") I'm an avid reader and with my Touch had to charge it about once in a month (I bought it at the end of november last year). So far I haven't seen the battery life going down
vice-versa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:43 PM   #3
VirgoGirl
VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I charge mine about once a month, having read 3-4 books per charge depending on page length. All my books are sideloaded, which I believe takes more "power" to read than ones loaded onto the KT hard drive, so I'm okay with the battery consumption - well, not really, I'd like mine to be fully charged FOREVER, lol!

My husband charges his when it gets slightly below 1/2 charge, which drives me as I think it's *so* bad for the battery. But will he listen??

Thanks for the reply, I guess you were right, it just didn't have enough power to turn on. After charging it for 6 hours, it's little battery says "Full" and I'm ready to get back to my book.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:21 PM   #4
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Quote:
My husband charges his when it gets slightly below 1/2 charge, which drives me as I think it's *so* bad for the battery. But will he listen??
It would be nice if you could lord that over your husbands head, but it just ain't so. Unlike the old Ni-Cad's, Lithium-ion polymer batteries don't have a memory and so you may charge it whenever you feel like it. They don't like deep discharges, but circuitry is always employed to avoid deep discharge and overcharge of a Lithium-ion polymer battery.

I charge mine when it gets below half, as I never want to be reading in the middle of the night and have my Kobo die on me.

ltr
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:39 PM   #5
VirgoGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltr View Post
It would be nice if you could lord that over your husbands head, but it just ain't so. Unlike the old Ni-Cad's, Lithium-ion polymer batteries don't have a memory and so you may charge it whenever you feel like it. They don't like deep discharges, but circuitry is always employed to avoid deep discharge and overcharge of a Lithium-ion polymer battery.

I charge mine when it gets below half, as I never want to be reading in the middle of the night and have my Kobo die on me.

ltr
Darn it, I have so little to lord over him, I was hoping..

I though, though, that it was said about the Kobos that you should only charge them when they fully discharge as it helps calibrate the battery - not that it seems to help my battery meter show the correct charge.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:40 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirgoGirl View Post
Darn it, I have so little to lord over him, I was hoping..
As a married man, I'm siding with your husband
Quote:
I though, though, that it was said about the Kobos that you should only charge them when they fully discharge as it helps calibrate the battery - not that it seems to help my battery meter show the correct charge.
The usual advice for Li-Ion batteries is to run a couple of full discharge/recharge cycles to calibrate the gauge if it seems off. Otherwise, use it when you need to, charge it when you can or it is convenient.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:51 AM   #7
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by vice-versa View Post
when powering on, the Touch (and the Glo) always start with flashing blue light and then green.
Note to Kobo staff. I have a touch of green/blue colour blindness. Not much but I can't tell the difference between the green and blue the Kobo uses.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:59 AM   #8
VirgoGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
As a married man, I'm siding with your husband
Lol! It's "we're all men together!", is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The usual advice for Li-Ion batteries is to run a couple of full discharge/recharge cycles to calibrate the gauge if it seems off. Otherwise, use it when you need to, charge it when you can or it is convenient.
My gauge is kind of wonky, sometimes I get the "10%, 5%" reading on the meter, other times, like yesterday, it just won't turn on despite there being a bit left on the meter. I try and let it discharge fully, but if I know I have to go somewhere and will be taking my reader, I'll top it off a bit to make sure it doesn't die.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:41 PM   #9
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
I try to avoid getting my Kobo devices below 80% or 90%.

Just in case. Gotta be prepared.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote