Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 07-28-2008, 12:21 PM   #31
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurgE View Post
IMO, they probably modified the russification code.
Actually, they didn't. The Chinese method is original, and in my opinion it is more stylistically correct than the Russian method. In fact, I would recommend using the Chinese method for localization rather than the Russian method, which involves editing Unicode strings in a binary shared object library.

One of these days I may make my own Russification based on the Chinese method (although as it is now, I am totally happy with English menus). This method would allow switching localization (English/Russian) via a submenu, like we can do with the clock.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 01:05 PM   #32
SurgE
Serial Bricker
SurgE doesn't litterSurgE doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KSO
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkupan View Post
Actually, they didn't. The Chinese method is original, and in my opinion it is more stylistically correct than the Russian method. In fact, I would recommend using the Chinese method for localization rather than the Russian method, which involves editing Unicode strings in a binary shared object library.

One of these days I may make my own Russification based on the Chinese method (although as it is now, I am totally happy with English menus). This method would allow switching localization (English/Russian) via a submenu, like we can do with the clock.
Heh, something new learnt today. I'm looking forward to your implementation of the submenu for localization switching
SurgE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 01:49 PM   #33
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Nevermind, I'm just learning how to use this Universal Flasher. Crossing my fingers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurgE View Post
IMO, they probably modified the russification code.

edit: attached the rar instead.

Last edited by seajewel; 07-28-2008 at 01:59 PM.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 02:28 PM   #34
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
Quote:
That's been around for a while.
Hey, Porkupan!

When I try to use this icon set I get the error:
Quote:
error while flashing partition! it is
recommended to switch to recovery
mode and use Sony Flasher to
flash a stock image
Any idea whats up?
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 03:57 PM   #35
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I would try reflashing the stock image and then flashing with Universal Flasher. I am not sure what the problem is, igorsk would be better able to help, I just have never encountered this one. If I hit this problem, I will debug it. Maybe you could post the log file - something in there might point us in the right direction?
Old 07-28-2008, 04:21 PM   #36
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
I would try reflashing the stock image and then flashing with Universal Flasher. I am not sure what the problem is, igorsk would be better able to help, I just have never encountered this one. If I hit this problem, I will debug it. Maybe you could post the log file - something in there might point us in the right direction?
I just did that and am sorry to say that no logs whatsoever were produced.

Just to make sure that I'm being clear, first I copied the new icon png file to new_opt/sony/ebook/application/resources/scripts/kBookIcon.png, overwriting the older file. Then I ran mkcramfs new_opt/ new_opt.img. Then copied the resulting img file to the root of the sd card. Option 4. followed by Option 6. Error. No log.

Second, I copied the new icon png file to sdroot/files....040/opt/sony/ebook/application/resources/scripts/kBookIcon.png. Option 5. followed by Option 6. Error.No log.

Thanks!
Old 07-28-2008, 04:37 PM   #37
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Similar issue here, in that if I place the image file next to the main.xml, I can use menu-5 to create an image sucessfully (See attached zipped log) but menu-6 quickly shows the same error as Jeff reports, with no other logs.

The reader's fine & doesn't need any recovery & I was able to flash it via the Universal Flasher, without the png file, just not with it...
Attached Files
File Type: zip make_fs.zip (2.1 KB, 273 views)
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 04:43 PM   #38
porkupan
Fanatic

If I am not mistaken, igorsk wrote in this forum, that the Universal Flasher needs to be fixed to be able to burn ready-made images:

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Edit the target.doDigit4 function in autorun.js.
Change:
Code:
if (!this.copyFile(this.driveroot+"/new_opt.img","/tmp/new_opt.img"))
to
Code:
this.runCommand("mkdir /tmp/self_upgrade");
if (!this.copyFile(this.driveroot+"/new_opt.img","/tmp/self_upgrade/new_opt.img"))
Old 07-28-2008, 04:51 PM   #39
JeffElkins
Guru

Quote:
If I am not mistaken, igorsk wrote in this forum, that the Universal Flasher needs to be fixed to be able to burn ready-made images:
Correct, that was in response to me in another thread. That's done on my end, don't know about Gwynevans.
Old 07-28-2008, 04:54 PM   #40
porkupan
Fanatic

Yeah, this is strange. As if something in the background is clearing the /tmp directory. Weird stuff indeed. The resulting image is definitely not too big to fit in the partition allotted for Fsk.

I would try to reboot (shut down, then turn it on) the Reader and not open any books before trying the Universal Flasher.
Old 07-28-2008, 04:56 PM   #41
porkupan
Fanatic

The other thing you can try.

1) Hit 4 or 5, make the image
2) Take the SD card out.
3) Put the SD card back in.
4) When the menu pops up, hit 6.

May not help, but it doesn't hurt to try. You should see flash_opt.log somewhere though...
Old 07-28-2008, 05:09 PM   #42
JeffElkins
Guru

Quote:
The other thing you can try.

1) Hit 4 or 5, make the image
2) Take the SD card out.
3) Put the SD card back in.
4) When the menu pops up, hit 6.

May not help, but it doesn't hurt to try. You should see flash_opt.log somewhere though...
I did a #5,#6 but not joy. I did get a log though...(no flash.log)
Attached Files
File Type: zip make_fs.zip (2.1 KB, 276 views)

Last edited by JeffElkins; 07-28-2008 at 05:11 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 07-28-2008, 05:16 PM   #43
porkupan
Fanatic

Well, this error seems to indicate that the internal flashing utility nblsdm can no longer flash this reader with the Fsk image of larger size than what's already been flashed. Why - not sure. My advice is to reflash with the stock flasher, then try again.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:38 PM   #44
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
Correct, that was in response to me in another thread. That's done on my end, don't know about Gwynevans.
I've not done that because I've not been trying with pre-made images - just making one each time via menu-5, but I can't seem to get it to report what the problem is...
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 05:54 PM   #45
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Hmm I think I've seen this before... nblsdm needs to be passed a parameter with the partiton size. Until I get around to implement that, reflashing with stock updater should allow you to flash a custom image again.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote