Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-16-2011, 03:51 PM   #1
fictionaddiction
fictionaddiction began at the beginning.

Device: kobo with wifi
Cover images dissappeared after adding some books from my Calibre library

I have had great success converting books and adding them to my KOBO using Calibre. However, this last time, after sent several epubs to my device then removed it, it did its normal "proccessing new content" thing and when it was finished ALL of my content was missing. I did a reset and I believe all of my books are back but many are missing cover images in the list view. They still seem to have covers when in sleep mode or when powered off when Im reading one. Not a HUGE problem since I still have the books and can read them but a problem that bothers me nonetheless.
fictionaddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:51 PM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Tim Legge, the Kobo-Calibre guy has said here that the changed driver will not be released in this week's update. The one in there now has not been optimized for Kobo Touch.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:57 AM   #3
fictionaddiction
fictionaddiction began at the beginning.

Device: kobo with wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Tim Legge, the Kobo-Calibre guy has said here that the changed driver will not be released in this week's update. The one in there now has not been optimized for Kobo Touch.

I dont have the KOBO Touch, I have the KOBO with wi-fi. I had the ereader unplug from the USB without properly ejecting (fell of the desk and popped out) so Im wondering if it isnt data corruption from that.
fictionaddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:08 PM   #4
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by fictionaddiction View Post
I dont have the KOBO Touch, I have the KOBO with wi-fi. I had the ereader unplug from the USB without properly ejecting (fell of the desk and popped out) so Im wondering if it isnt data corruption from that.
It is possible but if Calibre can see the books and the device is otherwise acting normally I doubt it.

To be clear, the book covers are not showing up on the device correct? Do they show up in Calibre or using the desktop software?

Tim
timlegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:08 AM   #5
maritimer
Maritimer
maritimer began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-300 & T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by timlegge View Post
It is possible but if Calibre can see the books and the device is otherwise acting normally I doubt it.

To be clear, the book covers are not showing up on the device correct? Do they show up in Calibre or using the desktop software?

Tim
I picked up the Touch for my daughter's grad gift and was playing with it last night. I too had a problem with covers not coming over. Of the 40 or so book about a dozen were without covers. I added them easily using calibre's meta data edit function. But when i sent them to the Kobo they did not convert. I tried it twice (after deleting the books from the device).
I will try again tonight.
maritimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:35 AM   #6
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Were the dozen or so recently added/edited? The ones that did have covers, has it been a while since you added/edited them?

Most of my books do show up with covers, but a couple that I had recently added and edited in Calibre didn't. this was actually happening on my wifi prior to the touch's release.Unfortunately I couldn't tell you what version of caliber I Was using as I just did a re-install of my OS this past weekend. at the time, I just chalked it up to problems with those particular books...

update - I actually hadn't checked the books since moving to the touch... I'm now seeing the covers for those three books, but it's because the three seperate jpeg files that caliber created are on the kobo as well; I usually deleted these files because it added it as an additional "cover.jpeg" object on the device and I didn't care to see a dozen of these in my library. most of my books didn't care, but it seems that the three books did. I just deleted them from my kobo and sure enough the covers disappeared... so the quest would be, why aren't the covers being embedded in the actual epub anymore?

Last edited by Psyke; 06-23-2011 at 09:54 AM.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:57 AM   #7
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by fictionaddiction View Post
I have had great success converting books and adding them to my KOBO using Calibre. However, this last time, after sent several epubs to my device then removed it, it did its normal "proccessing new content" thing and when it was finished ALL of my content was missing. I did a reset and I believe all of my books are back but many are missing cover images in the list view. They still seem to have covers when in sleep mode or when powered off when Im reading one. Not a HUGE problem since I still have the books and can read them but a problem that bothers me nonetheless.
Actually did this last night, converted some books added to a series, downloaed the covers and meta data liked what i saw and then side loaded to the touch via calibre.. books look good on calibre but covers are not there! very disapointed. Now I can not tell you what is at fault calibre or touch...

gonna try just droping them in the directory to eleiminate calibre

regards

jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:59 AM   #8
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by maritimer View Post
I picked up the Touch for my daughter's grad gift and was playing with it last night. I too had a problem with covers not coming over. Of the 40 or so book about a dozen were without covers. I added them easily using calibre's meta data edit function. But when i sent them to the Kobo they did not convert. I tried it twice (after deleting the books from the device).
I will try again tonight.
If the epub did not have a cover when the file was originally copied to the device updating it in Calibre does not work. It is a function that I keep forgetting to add. Basically I need to replace the file on the device with the one from Calibre.

The workaround is to simply delete the book from the device and send it back to the device.

Tim
timlegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:42 AM   #9
maritimer
Maritimer
maritimer began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-300 & T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by timlegge View Post
If the epub did not have a cover when the file was originally copied to the device updating it in Calibre does not work. It is a function that I keep forgetting to add. Basically I need to replace the file on the device with the one from Calibre.

The workaround is to simply delete the book from the device and send it back to the device.

Tim
hi Tim
i did try that. However i was multitasking and it was late in the night so i will try again tonight. And before i do i will update the Kobo firmware.
Perhaps i missed a step -like saving -before i sent the newly updated book to the device.
I really want to get the covers in there as it will be a gift and i want the wow factor. My old Sony 300 does not have this functionality.
maritimer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover images missing