Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 09-24-2010, 07:25 AM   #1
arcadata
Grand Sorcerer
arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire, iPad, iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350
FREE (Kindle) SAMPLES Scoundrels, Monsters, and Special Circumstances

Scoundrels, Monsters, and Special Circumstances

had to go to Sony for some info: (turns out it's just a collection of previews) -> crappy publishers

Quote:
Orbit is pleased to present a selection from each of our upcoming titles for Fall 2010. Inside you'll find everything from king-stealing thieves, to zombie-hunting couples. We have the newest Iain M. Banks novel Surface Detail, Greg Bear's triumphant return to deep space SF with Hull Zero Three, new novels from urban fantasy greats like Lilith Saintcrow and Jennifer Rardin. We're especially pleased to introduce debut author, Rachel Aaron, with her three rip-roaring fantasy adventures in three months.

Last edited by arcadata; 09-24-2010 at 07:28 AM. Reason: Adding info
arcadata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:18 AM   #2
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Personally, I'd prefer you just don't post these samples, unless they at least stand-alone (a single short story from a collection, for example).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:49 AM   #3
arcadata
Grand Sorcerer
arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire, iPad, iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
Personally, I'd prefer you just don't post these samples, unless they at least stand-alone (a single short story from a collection, for example).
I didn't know they were samples. If the mods want to delete, it's okay.
arcadata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:51 AM   #4
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
Yeah, and I'd prefer people not post PDF free ebooks. And others only want to see non-geo-restricted. It's a freebie forum, you take what you can get. Some people may be interested in samples; maybe an author they're looking forward to reading or something?

From the way the post is worded, it sounds like arcadata didn't know it was just a sample until after it was posted. Tricksy publishers and all.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 07:03 AM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
It clearly states "samples" in the Thread. If it didn't, then I (or another Moderator) would put that word in.

One can choose to download or not download.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 08:31 AM   #6
PG4003
Addict
PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW I & II, Kindle Voyage, Fire HD 7", Fire HD 8.9"
I just think this is a dirty trick from the publishers, to make you think you're getting something when you're really not. I refuse to download these things, it makes me feel tricked.
PG4003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 08:38 AM   #7
Bikeridr
Information Acquirer
Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 International, Pocketbook Color
Well, lucky me. I don't even have to "refuse downloading" as it is georestricted and I'm not among "the chosen few" who are eligible to download..
Bikeridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 10:12 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG4003 View Post
I just think this is a dirty trick from the publishers, to make you think you're getting something when you're really not. I refuse to download these things, it makes me feel tricked.
What on Earth have you got against book samples? They are the eBook equivalent of being able to flip through a book in a bookshop, and allow you to check that it's reasonably formatted, etc. I find the free samples for every book to be one of the most useful features of the Kindle bookstore.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 12:26 PM   #9
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I don't like samples, I don't like romance, and I don't like religious books; but other people do.

I'd much rather have things I don't like posted, than not have things I would like posted. So long as it's made clear before I actually select to download the book (which it normally is since the bookstores normally have that information even if the thread body or title doesn't), I have no problems.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 04:58 PM   #10
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What on Earth have you got against book samples? They are the eBook equivalent of being able to flip through a book in a bookshop, and allow you to check that it's reasonably formatted, etc. I find the free samples for every book to be one of the most useful features of the Kindle bookstore.
Harry,

I love the free samples and use them freely when considering a new author. However, the separate "sample books" are another thing entirely. They are both a remnant of publishing before the Kindle, when samples didn't exist as something that every ebook had or even before that when samples had to be printed, and a new marketing tool used to game the Amazon bestseller lists, as the "sales" of these sample books (but not the downloaded samples from actual books) count in the number of total sales for the book and the author, which pushes their _real_ book to the top of the bestseller lists when it is released, as it suddenly has thousands of "sales" of the "free preview" version. I strongly suspect it's how Patterson claimed to be the first person to pass a million ebook sales, despite having Kindle sales of a couple hundred thousand less than Stieg Larrsen (who is the first to pass a million on Kindle and did so more honestly, as no "free preview" versions were handed out, although some full content copies of one book were free quite some time ago).

Also, as I predicted when this first started, the marketing copy is now a common giveaway of some publishers and the "first free in series" is being replaced by a markdown of one title to the $3 range, instead.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote