Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 05-13-2010, 11:35 PM   #1
ericcw
ericcw began at the beginning.

Device: ectaco jetbook
ectaco jetbook "failed to open the file"

Hi all fresh meat here. So my girlfriend just got the jetbook and she is trying to get her first book on there. She is using the ebooks.com website which offers 3 formats for the book she wanted. she has already purchased the "pdf for digital editions" which we just assumed would work since the owners manual states it supports PDF. but no matter whether we add it to device or sd card we have the error message. im not sure if this is just not a supported format... i have checked to make sure both the device and sd card work with a .txt format by xfering a notepad document and had no issues there. any advice would be greatly apreciated thanks much all for your help in advance!
ericcw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 11:58 PM   #2
jblitereader
Addict
jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.

Device: jetbook lite
I encourage you to read about The PDF Controversy on my website. Pay particular attention to Operation scroll right scroll left scroll down.
jblitereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2010, 12:01 AM   #3
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Unfortunately you will need to learn about DRM (Digital Rights Management) as it
relates to ebook formats. Also the PDF format is not a good one to use on small
screen black & white displays. The regular Jetbook has no DRM support and the
Jetbook Lite only has support for the eReader PDB DRM.

To make use of books purchased from the a site like eBooks.com you will need
to learn how to remove the DRM. There are a number of sources for free
non-DRM ebooks. Try a Google of "non-DRM ebooks"

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:11 PM   #4
ericcw
ericcw began at the beginning.

Device: ectaco jetbook
hmm bummer deal... so if i have the book already download and paid for as a pdf and its showing up only in Adobe Digital Editions. (when i try to open the pdf where it sits it gives me a pop up that it can only be opened with the adobe digital editions due to DRM (digital rights management) is there a way to convert it to a text file or are we probly stuck paying and downloading one of the other versions? Also from the site we downloaded from it doesnt offer a text format adobe was the only one that was listed that our book "supports"
ericcw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 04:12 PM   #5
GameMisconduct
GameMisconduct began at the beginning.

Device: ECTACO Jetbook
There are several sites and resources out there on helping remove DRM from book files.
GameMisconduct is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2010, 04:16 PM   #6
grndslm
Enthusiast
grndslm has a propeller beanie that spins backward.grndslm has a propeller beanie that spins backward.grndslm has a propeller beanie that spins backward.grndslm has a propeller beanie that spins backward.grndslm has a propeller beanie that spins backward.grndslm has a propeller beanie that spins backward.grndslm has a propeller beanie that spins backward.grndslm has a propeller beanie that spins backward.grndslm has a propeller beanie that spins backward.grndslm has a propeller beanie that spins backward.grndslm has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingenzyme View Post
I encourage you to read about The PDF Controversy on my website. Pay particular attention to Operation scroll right scroll left scroll down.
Umm.... what's wrong with putting the device in landscape mode to read PDFs??

I bought my Jetbook Lite for this very reason that they remove the whitespace on the top/bottom left/right edges of the PDF, and it has a landscape mode so that you don't have to scroll from left to right.... only down. Kinda sucks that you have to use two different buttons (one to scroll on one page, one to move to the next page), but it's really not that bad at all.

I'm extremely happy with the PDF support on the JBL. I don't understand why the more mature [& expensive] platforms don't have the same support that this ~$100 device has.
grndslm is offline   Reply With Quote