Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-29-2013, 03:45 PM   #1
BunnyGal
Enthusiast
BunnyGal began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire and Kindle Fire HDX
Exclamation Problem with V. 1.13 - "download Metadata" doesn't work anymore

I just upgraded to Version 1.13 (from 1.12). Everything worked fine with all previous versions but now i have a problem.

When I attempt to Download Metadata for books, I IMMEDIATELY get the "failed to find any books that match your search" error. This happens within a micro-second, there's no way Calibre even tried to find the metadata. It's happening with all books, including those that have every field already filled in by downloading it from previous Calibre Versions.

I did nothing other than install the 1.13 version, then restarted my computer and opened Calibre and it began immediately. I looked over the settings and everything seems ok.

I tried to re-install 1.12 because it worked fine, but I receive a message that I must uninstall 1.13 first which I really want to avoid because I dont want to have to rebuild my entire library again. I have in excess of 7 THOUSAND Ebooks in my library.

I'm running Windows 7 Professional - 64 bit.

Like I said - I've never had this issue with any other version of Calibre and it began as soon as I installed 1.13. Is there a fix on the way or something I need to do?

Here is an example of the results of the error message. The only thing that changes from one book to the next is the title, author, or isbn number its looking for - but the same thing happens on every book.

calibre, version 1.13.0
ERROR: No matches found: <p>Failed to find any books that match your search. Try making the search <b>less specific</b>. For example, use only the author's last name and a single distinctive word from the title.<p>To see the full log, click Show Details.

Running identify query with parameters:
{u'authors': [u'Robin Robertson'], u'identifiers': {u'isbn': u'9780470085028', u'amazon': u'0470085029', u'google': u'sM77mAEACAAJ', u'mobi-asin': u'844425c8-8153-4392-9d09-85533eb8aeb0'}, u'timeout': 30, u'title': u'1,000 Vegan Recipes'}
Using plugins: Google, Amazon.com, Overdrive
The log from individual plugins is below

****************************** Amazon.com ******************************
Request extra headers: [('User-agent', 'Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US) AppleWebKit/532.5 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/4.0.249.78 Safari/532.5')]
Found 0 results
Downloading from Amazon.com took 0.125
Failed to make identify query: u'http://www.amazon.com/s/?sort=relevanceexprank&search-alias=aps&field-keywords=0470085029&unfiltered=1'
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\sources\amazon.py ", line 909, in identify
File "site-packages\mechanize-0.2.4-py2.7.egg\mechanize\_mechanize.py", line 199, in open_novisit
File "site-packages\mechanize-0.2.4-py2.7.egg\mechanize\_mechanize.py", line 230, in _mech_open
File "site-packages\mechanize-0.2.4-py2.7.egg\mechanize\_opener.py", line 193, in open
File "site-packages\mechanize-0.2.4-py2.7.egg\mechanize\_urllib2_fork.py", line 344, in _open
File "site-packages\mechanize-0.2.4-py2.7.egg\mechanize\_urllib2_fork.py", line 332, in _call_chain
File "site-packages\mechanize-0.2.4-py2.7.egg\mechanize\_urllib2_fork.py", line 1142, in http_open
File "site-packages\mechanize-0.2.4-py2.7.egg\mechanize\_urllib2_fork.py", line 1118, in do_open
URLError: <urlopen error [Errno 10013] An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions>

************************************************** ******************************

****************************** Google ******************************
Request extra headers: [('User-agent', 'Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.3 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/6.0.472.63 Safari/534.3')]
Found 0 results
Downloading from Google took 0.125
Failed to make identify query: u'http://books.google.com/books/feeds/volumes?q=isbn%3A9780470085028&max-results=20&min-viewability=none&start-index=1'
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\sources\google.py ", line 303, in identify
File "site-packages\mechanize-0.2.4-py2.7.egg\mechanize\_mechanize.py", line 199, in open_novisit
File "site-packages\mechanize-0.2.4-py2.7.egg\mechanize\_mechanize.py", line 230, in _mech_open
File "site-packages\mechanize-0.2.4-py2.7.egg\mechanize\_opener.py", line 193, in open
File "site-packages\mechanize-0.2.4-py2.7.egg\mechanize\_urllib2_fork.py", line 344, in _open
File "site-packages\mechanize-0.2.4-py2.7.egg\mechanize\_urllib2_fork.py", line 332, in _call_chain
File "site-packages\mechanize-0.2.4-py2.7.egg\mechanize\_urllib2_fork.py", line 1142, in http_open
File "site-packages\mechanize-0.2.4-py2.7.egg\mechanize\_urllib2_fork.py", line 1118, in do_open
URLError: <urlopen error [Errno 10013] An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions>

************************************************** ******************************

****************************** Overdrive ******************************
Request extra headers: [('User-agent', 'Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:2.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/4.0.1')]
Found 0 results
Downloading from Overdrive took 0.155999898911
Initial query is Robin Robertson
Cross reference query is Recipes

The identify phase took 0.22 seconds
The longest time (0.156000) was taken by: Overdrive
Merging results from different sources and finding earliest publication dates from the worldcat.org service
We have 0 merged results, merging took: 0.00 seconds
BunnyGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 03:51 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
That looks like your security software is stopping Calibre from accessing the network. Many security packages treat new versions as new programs that need re-authorising to access the internet.

In terms of downgrading, uninstalling Calibre does not touch your existing library or settings. You can therefore safely uninstall Calibre and install another version. However if you are feeling paranoid you could always make a backup of the Calibre library folder and its contents before doing this.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2013, 04:04 PM   #3
BunnyGal
Enthusiast
BunnyGal began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire and Kindle Fire HDX
"That looks like your security software is stopping Calibre from accessing the network. Many security packages treat new versions as new programs that need re-authorising to access the internet."

Thank you itimpi! You're Awesome. I went into the firewall and changed Calibre.exe internet access level from "auto" to "allowed" and the probelm was fixed!

I'm not sure why installing the latest version resulted in this issue, but at least it's resolved.

This forum is amazing - great answers and fast!
BunnyGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:40 AM   #4
At_Libitum
Addict
At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KyBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyGal View Post

I'm not sure why installing the latest version resulted in this issue, but at least it's resolved.

This forum is amazing - great answers and fast!
Usually protection software like this needs a way to uniquely identify any file requesting access so it can determine if it is allowed to. An update often changes things in such a way that this identification fails. It is therefore treated with whatever default settings 'auto' stands for. Apparently your 'auto' setting is to deny the request to access the internet.

If you know a program is going to access the net and you're absolutely sure it's safe to let it, then you would need to do this every time you update a program.
At_Libitum is offline   Reply With Quote