Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 04:11 PM   #1
WvandeHoef
WvandeHoef began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch N905C
Question Kobo Touch N905C SDcard Image needed

As my Kobo Touch kept freezing while reading that could only be resolved by pressing the reset button, I decided to reflash the firmware to see if that would resolve the issue.

Unfortunately I copied the incorrect firmware to the reader. I picked the Touch firmware where I should have taken the Glo version, as my Touch N905C seems to use the Glo firmware.

With the incorrect one I have bricked the Reader, so I am looking for an SD Card Image that would get me back where I started. Any firmware version will do.

The markings on my Kobo:
FCC ID: NOIKBN905C
IC: 8857A-KBN905C
MODEL: N905C

Anyone having an image for this ereader willing to share?

Moderator Notice

Thread closed.

Please post requests in this thread: Kobo Touch : Need SD card

Last edited by pdurrant; 11-23-2022 at 02:16 AM.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:07 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
PM sent. But a couple of comments...

"Reflashing" doesn't mean anything in Kobo terms. Restoring the image that I sent is the closest thing. Reinstalling the update package will reinstall the software, but it works in a way much closer to updating an OS than flashing a device.

I am very surprised that this caused a problem. Unless your device was running very old firmware, the update install has checks in it that should have prevented installing the dangerous parts of the update package. And if the checks are there, then the rest of the install should have been OK, unless, again, there was a big mismatch in the firmware versions. And in that case, a factory reset using the buttons would probably get the device going again.\

Finally, you might want to try a new SD card. A common reason for freezing on the older devices is that the internal SD card is failing. Using a new one gives them a new lease on life.
Old 08-09-2018, 02:11 PM   #3
WvandeHoef

Thanks David!

The ereader was on 2.1.5 and installed the 2.2.0 without any complaints until it restarted and froze. After that I tried the 20 sec button reset and all sorts of key combo's, but to no avail.

I mounted the card under Linux and copied all data from the KOBOreader partition and also saved the Mac address. After a final backup image I placed your image on the SDCard and mounted it under Linux so I could copy my original data on that image. The combined image runs fine, has all the books and even recalls what book I was reading.

It is now on 2.0.3 so I can update it again to 2.1.5, now with the Glo version
Old 08-09-2018, 02:37 PM   #4
WvandeHoef

Back on 2.1.5 without any issues
Old 08-31-2018, 06:53 PM   #5
giovanni.brajato
giovanni.brajato began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
PM sent. But a couple of comments...

"Reflashing" doesn't mean anything in Kobo terms. Restoring the image that I sent is the closest thing. Reinstalling the update package will reinstall the software, but it works in a way much closer to updating an OS than flashing a device.

I am very surprised that this caused a problem. Unless your device was running very old firmware, the update install has checks in it that should have prevented installing the dangerous parts of the update package. And if the checks are there, then the rest of the install should have been OK, unless, again, there was a big mismatch in the firmware versions. And in that case, a factory reset using the buttons would probably get the device going again.\

Finally, you might want to try a new SD card. A common reason for freezing on the older devices is that the internal SD card is failing. Using a new one gives them a new lease on life.
Hello davidfor! Can I have it as well? I have the same model and I need to restore the original firmware (after a bad experience with a custom android firmware for the kobo)
Thanks in advance!
Old 08-31-2018, 11:30 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by giovanni.brajato View Post
Hello davidfor! Can I have it as well? I have the same model and I need to restore the original firmware (after a bad experience with a custom android firmware for the kobo)
Thanks in advance!
PM sent in response to the first post. And it's polite to give a reasonable amount of time for a response.

And if anyone sees this post and needs an image, please post in Kobo Touch : Need SD card image.
Old 08-02-2019, 03:56 AM   #7
trunglinh06
trunglinh06 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo
Quote:
PM sent in response to the first post. And it's polite to give a reasonable amount of time for a response.

And if anyone sees this post and needs an image, please post in Kobo Touch : Need SD card image.
hi davidfor, i need file img of kobo touch N950c, can you send me, please?
Old 08-02-2019, 08:18 AM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

PM sent.
Old 08-14-2019, 11:05 PM   #9
GADELHA
GADELHA began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch ( N905C )
Kobo Touch( N905C )

Quote:
PM sent.
hi davidfor, i also need kobo touch N950c img file, can you send me please?
Old 08-14-2019, 11:30 PM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

@GADELHA: You need to enable Private Messaging. This is in the "Edit Options" of the control panel. If this isn't there, it has to be added somehow. You can try posting in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=319819 to ask it to be enabled, or contact a moderator.
Old 08-16-2019, 07:50 PM   #11
GADELHA
GADELHA began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch ( N905C )
Quote:
@GADELHA: You need to enable Private Messaging. This is in the "Edit Options" of the control panel. If this isn't there, it has to be added somehow. You can try posting in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=319819 to ask it to be enabled, or contact a moderator.
davidfor Thank you so much for guiding me how to enable PM, it has already been enabled! Could you send me the IMG for Kobo Touch N905C?
Old 10-18-2019, 12:57 PM   #12
jimjones
jimjones began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO N905C
Touch Kobo Touch N905C SDcard Image needed

Hy guys,

I need the N905C SDcard Image either, could you please send to me the download link?

Thanks
Old 10-18-2019, 10:01 PM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

@jimjones: You need to enable Private Messaging. This is in the "Edit Options" of the control panel. If this isn't there, it has to be added somehow. A recent person who had this issue solved it in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=319819.

And please use the dedicated request thread for the Touch to request images.
Old 06-15-2020, 04:02 AM   #14
morpheusx
morpheusx began at the beginning.

Device: kobo n905c
Hi,

I need the N905C SDcard Image too, could you please send me the download link?

Thanks and regards
Old 06-15-2020, 05:39 AM   #15
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

PM sent.

And as stated immediately above your post, please use the dedicated request thread for the Touch to request images. I won't be responding to requests in this thread in the future.
Closed Thread