Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-27-2018, 09:50 AM   #631
therourke
therourke began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Did anyone figure out what the tiny hole in the power button is for? I stuck a pin in their, thinking it might pop out and show an SD card reader, or something. But nothing happens. It didn't rest either, which is the only other reason I can think there might be a hole there.

WHAT'S WITH THAT HOLE!!!!>!?!??!?!>>!>!??
therourke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 09:54 AM   #632
timeisart
timeisart knows what is on the back of the AURYN.timeisart knows what is on the back of the AURYN.timeisart knows what is on the back of the AURYN.timeisart knows what is on the back of the AURYN.timeisart knows what is on the back of the AURYN.timeisart knows what is on the back of the AURYN.timeisart knows what is on the back of the AURYN.timeisart knows what is on the back of the AURYN.timeisart knows what is on the back of the AURYN.timeisart knows what is on the back of the AURYN.timeisart knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by therourke View Post
Did anyone figure out what the tiny hole in the power button is for? I stuck a pin in their, thinking it might pop out and show an SD card reader, or something. But nothing happens. It didn't rest either, which is the only other reason I can think there might be a hole there.

WHAT'S WITH THAT HOLE!!!!>!?!??!?!>>!>!??
There's an LED under there, that hole is there just so you can see the light coming from the LED.

If you're looking for the SD card, you can find it if you pop the back cover off by sliding something thin in the crack all along the edge. Then you can swap out the microsd card and replace it with a bigger, faster card, just follow these instructions to clone the original card: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=209122

Last edited by timeisart; 07-27-2018 at 09:59 AM.
timeisart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 07:51 PM   #633
therourke
therourke began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeisart View Post
There's an LED under there, that hole is there just so you can see the light coming from the LED.

If you're looking for the SD card, you can find it if you pop the back cover off by sliding something thin in the crack all along the edge. Then you can swap out the microsd card and replace it with a bigger, faster card, just follow these instructions to clone the original card: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=209122
ok. The light thing makes sense, though I cannot see any light coming out of there. I did open up my device and the hole doesn't lead anywhere interesting.

I cannot imagine ever needing more than 8gb of space. But. Maybe I will do this one day. Thanks.

Last edited by therourke; 07-27-2018 at 07:54 PM.
therourke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 01:00 AM   #634
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 5
The light only comes on when you turn on the device.
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 06:28 AM   #635
eDP
eDP can extract oil from cheeseeDP can extract oil from cheeseeDP can extract oil from cheeseeDP can extract oil from cheeseeDP can extract oil from cheeseeDP can extract oil from cheeseeDP can extract oil from cheeseeDP can extract oil from cheese

Device: Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
It looks like the Clara HD has been released in Australia. I have an email from Kobo about it, but I also saw it on the Kobo and JB HiFi site last night. The price is $179.95AUD and appears to be in most JB HiFi stores. Or at least a lot more than the Aura ONE was.
It's also available from Myer, and they have it for sale via their eBay store, meaning you can get a small discount off the RRP if you use one of eBay's frequent 5% off codes (currently PENNY5).

I received my Clara from Myer on Friday, and unfortunately it's also suffering from some pronounced light bleed as others have experienced, so I'll probably return it.
eDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 01:55 PM   #636
radbaddude
Addict
radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
How many of you bought the sleep cover from kobo and do you like it / is it worth it?
radbaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 02:40 PM   #637
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by radbaddude View Post
How many of you bought the sleep cover from kobo and do you like it / is it worth it?
I like it. Never thought I'd use the stand feature but I do.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 01:12 AM   #638
disconnected
Fanatic
disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra, H2O2e2, Clara, Auras, Kindles, Nooks, Sony, iPAQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by radbaddude View Post
I have it and like it quite a lot. I bought the red one and it's a very pleasant soft red color, if that sort of thing matters to you. It seems to be well made. Its fairly rigid and the edges are smooth and rounded (unlike those of a cheaper cover I bought, which is thin and flimsy with sharpish edges).

The magnet that holds the flap closed is more powerful than I would have expected -- the Kobo with the case on will actually stick to the refrigerator without slipping. Possibly there are downsides to such a strong magnet but I haven't tested it near credit cards or anything.

It did take me a while to get used to the flip style of cover but it's actually very comfortable to hold, despite being heavier than the less expensive cover. The stand also works quite well; you can't really adjust the angle but it saves having to carry around a separate stand.
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 01:59 PM   #639
radbaddude
Addict
radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I like it. Never thought I'd use the stand feature but I do.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected View Post
I have it and like it quite a lot. I bought the red one and it's a very pleasant soft red color, if that sort of thing matters to you. It seems to be well made. Its fairly rigid and the edges are smooth and rounded (unlike those of a cheaper cover I bought, which is thin and flimsy with sharpish edges).

The magnet that holds the flap closed is more powerful than I would have expected -- the Kobo with the case on will actually stick to the refrigerator without slipping. Possibly there are downsides to such a strong magnet but I haven't tested it near credit cards or anything.

It did take me a while to get used to the flip style of cover but it's actually very comfortable to hold, despite being heavier than the less expensive cover. The stand also works quite well; you can't really adjust the angle but it saves having to carry around a separate stand.

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll order one
radbaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:58 PM   #640
Derf
Connoisseur
Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD / Mac User
Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected View Post

Thanks for the input, can you answer a couple questions?
1) on the red cover, is the inside a purplish color?
2) do you have to remove the Clara from the case to charge it? Does the bottom flap interfere with having a cable plugged in?
3) is the backside of the case the same leathery material as the front of the case?
Derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 12:09 AM   #641
disconnected
Fanatic
disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra, H2O2e2, Clara, Auras, Kindles, Nooks, Sony, iPAQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derf View Post
Thanks for the input, can you answer a couple questions?
1) on the red cover, is the inside a purplish color?
2) do you have to remove the Clara from the case to charge it? Does the bottom flap interfere with having a cable plugged in?
3) is the backside of the case the same leathery material as the front of the case?
The inside is really a "neutral" purple. The outside red is more toward blue than orange so the contrast isn't jarring at all. Actually I think it's a pleasant change from the more usual black or gray.

The flap sticks to the back as well as the front so it can just be folded to the back to uncover the charging ports. No need to remove the case. It's a pretty neat design -- there's a permanent sort of fold line on the flap so it lies perfectly flat on either the front or the back of the case. Incidentally, the case is pretty easy to get off and on, not like some of the older cases that required a crowbar or a dental tool to pry them off.

Both the front and the back are the same leathery material. It's more matte than shiny and I think it's really good-looking. In fact, after I wrote yesterday's post I went and ordered the blue one just for a little variety.
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 12:02 AM   #642
bohn
bohn began at the beginning.

Device: Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by eDP View Post
It's also available from Myer, and they have it for sale via their eBay store, meaning you can get a small discount off the RRP if you use one of eBay's frequent 5% off codes (currently PENNY5).
I just noticed Myer Ebay has a 20% off at the moment if anyone wants to take a gamble on the Clara... code PMYERSHOP expires 17th Sept. Brings it to $143.96.

Last edited by bohn; 09-14-2018 at 12:15 AM.
bohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 12:21 AM   #643
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohn View Post
I just noticed Myer Ebay has a 20% off at the moment if anyone wants to take a gamble on the Clara... code PMYERSHOP expires 17th Sept. Brings it to $143.96.
For the record, I bought a Clara HD from JB HiFi last weekend. I got it for $162 and the cover for $39 after asking if they could do better than what they had on it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 12:58 AM   #644
eDP
eDP can extract oil from cheeseeDP can extract oil from cheeseeDP can extract oil from cheeseeDP can extract oil from cheeseeDP can extract oil from cheeseeDP can extract oil from cheeseeDP can extract oil from cheeseeDP can extract oil from cheese

Device: Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohn View Post
Yes I noticed that too - I'm half tempted to try my luck and order another one.
eDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 01:17 AM   #645
bohn
bohn began at the beginning.

Device: Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by eDP View Post
Yes I noticed that too - I'm half tempted to try my luck and order another one.
My mum has one - it looked pretty good, and the cover that is also a stand is nice. I haven't had a close look at it re light bleed etc, but yeah. I wouldn't mind the faster CPU and the comfort light, but other than that my Glo HD is still pretty good.
bohn is offline   Reply With Quote