Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-10-2011, 06:38 AM   #1
goonjm
goonjm began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Non-Amazon eBooks + Online Library

Hi all,

Had a look through some posts to see if this had been answered, but I couldn't find anything, so apologies if this is an oft answered question.

I currently own a Sony eReader but am keen to move over to a Kindle, primarily as due to it's ability to sync books and their "last read" points between devices.

My question concerns content not bought from Amazon - in this instance, eBooks bought from O'Reilly (the tech publisher).

If I buy a Kindle compatible eBook from them, is it possible to upload it to my Amazon account so that it would be possible to sync it to my Kindle, the Kindle app on my Android phone etc? How would I go about this? I've read that you can e-mail books to a a unique account email address, is that right?

(EDIT: Just to be clear, not to fussed about syncing the last page read etc, just making it so I can upload the book to my Kindle account and then at any time download it to the Kindle app on my Phone, or windows etc - trying to remove the need to manage an offline library on my laptop)

thanks.

Simon

Last edited by goonjm; 05-10-2011 at 07:09 AM.
goonjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 06:42 AM   #2
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
No, Amazon will automatically sync books bought from them, but the sync function will not work for books bought elsewhere.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 06:54 AM   #3
goonjm

Wow, and to me that was the killer feature.

So I'd be able to have all of my amazon bought ebooks syncd and acessible from all devices automatically but anything I either converted from ePub (from the Sony Reader) or bought from O'Reilly I'd have to manually copy them on to each device?

Maybe swapping to a Kindle doesn't make as much sense as I thought.

Simon
Old 05-10-2011, 06:58 AM   #4
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Correct. Of course if you remember what page you are on, you can go directly to that page on the other device.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:00 AM   #5
goonjm

Remembering the page I've read to is actually less important than making the book automatically available on each device. I hate syncing with cables, and just want to make each book available to each Kindle reading device "magically".
Old 05-10-2011, 07:03 AM   #6
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
Even without syncing you can use the bookmark feature.
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:21 AM   #7
goonjm

Thanks for your answers. Seems that I'll still have to do an amount of manual management of the library. Might still just about be worth the upgrade though.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:20 AM   #8
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

The Kindle is a wonderful device. And the nice thing is, if it doesn't suit your needs, you have 30 days to return it! Definitely worth a try.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:25 AM   #9
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
No, you can sync non-Amazon books using the conversion feature in Calibre that puts an ASIN number into the correct field in the Metadata. There are a couple of threads here on how to do it if you look around.

Now no, you can't upload the books to your Amazon account archives. What I, and many others do, is maintain our complete libraries in another online service (see Dropbox below). That way I can download my books to any device via WiFi/3G if that device can connect to the internet. I think you could also use the Calibre Content server for that if you wanted to set it up.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 09:24 AM   #10
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
There is also a way to sync books using Mobi2Mobi. Check at either one of those boards for help.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:21 AM   #11
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by goonjm View Post
I hate syncing with cables, and just want to make each book available to each Kindle reading device "magically".
Whoa whoa whoa whoa... Better watch your words. Apple may step in and file suit against you.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:50 PM   #12
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3, 4, Kobo Nia, Libra H2O.
I just added a Kindle and went through the process of converting over 1600 books from epub over to mobi in order to make them accessible. It took over 24 hours but was less of a problem than I thought. I picked up a little utility here that allows adding to and creating collections over the PC so that problem is also solved. The big thing I will miss is the SD card. With the card, no matter what happened to the reader, my books were safe and could drop into a new reader in a second. With the Kindle, all is lost and the reload process starts all over. Oh well. It still is a good reader and has higher contrast than the Nook. And with user replaceable batteries it should work for quite a while.

If you real concern is all the work to transfer the files, it is worth it.
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 02:31 AM   #13
TenaciousBadger
Mrawr?
TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle 3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas0039 View Post
I just added a Kindle and went through the process of converting over 1600 books from epub over to mobi in order to make them accessible. It took over 24 hours

1600 books!!! Lord, you must have the patience of a saint!
TenaciousBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:32 AM   #14
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool calibre

Quote:
....The big thing I will miss is the SD card. With the card, no matter what happened to the reader, my books were safe and could drop into a new reader in a second. With the Kindle, all is lost and the reload process starts all over. Oh well. It still is a good reader and has higher contrast than the Nook. And with user replaceable batteries it should work for quite a while.

If you real concern is all the work to transfer the files, it is worth it.
keep your library in calibre on a computer and there would be nothing lost in your scenario.
--
Alan
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 02:20 PM   #15
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
keep your library in calibre on a computer and there would be nothing lost in your scenario.
--
Alan
Absolutely. All my books get put in Calibre, with all DRM removed, and from there they are both backed up, and always available. I could move to a new reader with no loss of books or any particular time lost doing so.

Quote:
With the card, no matter what happened to the reader, my books were safe and could drop into a new reader in a second.
And what happens if your SD card decides to corrupt itself? (And yes, I have seen that happen!)
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote