Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 10-31-2020, 06:01 AM   #1
nhedgehog
Fanatic
nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EnergySistemEreaderPro, Nook STG, Pocketbook 622, Bookeen Cybooks ...
Wikipedia Epubs?

I found some hints that Koreader was optimized to read Wikipedia Epubs.
https://fransdejonge.com/2020/10/kor...drops/#respond
I guess those are offline epubs created out of wiki pages.
Is there a source to download or create them, I couldn't find any other hint regarding this information.

Edit: Some afterthoughts later a second guess: Is it to support the online wikipedia feature to export articles as epub? I guess I was too greedy hoping, that there are some wiki exported fully as epub.

Last edited by nhedgehog; 10-31-2020 at 06:07 AM.
nhedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 10:15 AM   #2
Galunid
Connoisseur
Galunid is faster than slow light.Galunid is faster than slow light.Galunid is faster than slow light.Galunid is faster than slow light.Galunid is faster than slow light.Galunid is faster than slow light.Galunid is faster than slow light.Galunid is faster than slow light.Galunid is faster than slow light.Galunid is faster than slow light.Galunid is faster than slow light.

Device: KPW3, Kobo Clara HD, Onyx Boox Nova 2
There is. After you go to wikipedia page -> Wikipedia full -> Save as EPUB.

EDIT: There used to be option to download wiki articles on PC, but I guess it got removed.
https://ebooks.stackexchange.com/que...ctions-to-epub

Last edited by Galunid; 10-31-2020 at 10:30 AM.
Galunid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2020, 01:24 PM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW & PW2; Kobo H2O & Forma
In case that wasn't clear, @Galunid's first § is talking about the in-KOReader Wikipedia lookup option, which does indeed allow you to save the full article as an ePub document .

Which is probably what @Frenzie's blog post was referring to .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 02:51 PM   #4
nhedgehog
Fanatic
nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you booth, I wasn't aware of that, since I'm more the offline type.
Old 10-31-2020, 03:09 PM   #5
binaryhermit
Wizard
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3rd gen, so-called "All-New Kindle" (AKA 10th gen)
There's a calibre plugin called Wiki Reader that converts wikipedia pages to ebooks, as well.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2020, 05:02 PM   #6
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhedgehog View Post
Edit: Some afterthoughts later a second guess: Is it to support the online wikipedia feature to export articles as epub? I guess I was too greedy hoping, that there are some wiki exported fully as epub.
Wikipedia as a 60 GB EPUB? You'd be waiting a century for that to load, assuming your device doesn't run out of memory.

For a slightly better approach (not implemented in KOReader), also see https://github.com/koreader/koreader/issues/2333
Frenzie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 05:30 AM   #7
nhedgehog
Fanatic

Thanks for the link. It is a pity that Mobipocket was bought by Amazon and the Mobi format reduced to the pityful azw thingy. It would have been an alternative to the epub format which isn't really made for big datasets.

Last edited by nhedgehog; 11-05-2020 at 03:23 PM.
Old 11-05-2020, 03:10 PM   #8
binaryhermit
Wizard
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I find the idea that "isn't reallty made for big datasets" doesn't apply to MOBI as well kinda questionable from a (not entirely informed) guess I'm making.

I mean, are there even any major eReaders with 60 GB of usable space?
Old 11-05-2020, 03:22 PM   #9
nhedgehog
Fanatic

Sure, most of the reader which support an external MicroSD.
Old 11-05-2020, 03:41 PM   #10
binaryhermit
Wizard

does such an eReader exist from a manufacturer with as much market share as, say, B&N has in the US?
(limiting eReader to devices with an eInk screen here)
If you include tablets, obviously, there are iPad Pros (iPads Pro?) with 1 TB of storage. Or Android devices with MicroSD slots and/or at least 128 GB of storage. But once you get a less crippled OS with more app support you can have an app with a solution purpose-built for that sort of thing
Old 11-05-2020, 04:39 PM   #11
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
For big datasets (from a few hundred MB to many GB) zim is the way to go. It can be adapted to KO with minimal effort using libzim. See https://github.com/openzim/zim-tools.../zimsearch.cpp for example.
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 05:42 PM   #12
binaryhermit
Wizard

I'm not informed enough to know what exactly the right tool for the job is, but I strongly suspect it's not an eBook format here and is something more like a database solution
Old 11-06-2020, 11:52 AM   #13
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Both Kinds: epub based makes and Kindle
Though I find the result is better to copy and paste (often unformatted) into a Wordprocessor and make an epub after editing (docx-> Calibre). But then I might need a few related articles as one ebook, with perhaps stuff from elsewhere.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 11:58 AM   #14
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Both Kinds: epub based makes and Kindle
It doesn't make sense to have ALL of Wikipedia as a single ebook. Also many devices, even some brand new tablets and phones have an SD card limit of 32 G.

My tablet does have a 256 G SD card. These are now under £28.

However a single ebook makes no sense. Volumes by Subject or Alphabetical with a separate top level Index book with summaries makes more sense.

I agree that Amazon should never have been permitted to buy Mobipocket. But Mobi can't manage big stuff any better than epub2 and is a bit inferior. That's why AZW3/KF8 is closer to epub2 than to mobi. The azw1 is pretty much mobi with different DRM?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 07:39 AM   #15
nhedgehog
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
But Mobi can't manage big stuff any better than epub2 and is a bit inferior. That's why AZW3/KF8 is closer to epub2 than to mobi. The azw1 is pretty much mobi with different DRM?
This seems to be a widespread consent. I don't know where this comes from.
Somewhere in my backups I have Wikipedia files from years ago (mobi format), beeing about 1 GB large or more. The trick was creating it as a dictionary. Those were created by tools mobipocket provided and worked on WinCE devices with 32MB or 64MB RAM. Try this with epub or epub2, it is beyond compare.

@Pazos
Zim (via Kiwix) is working quite well on my Pocketbooks. The problem I have is that the browser is used to show the entries and it refuses to start without online access. And ... Koreader can't use it.