Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 12-07-2021, 11:37 AM   #1
gingerbeardman
Zealot
gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Sony Readers, Kobo Touch Edition, iPhone
Page numbers wrong in TOC

The attached .epub is automatically generated using pandoc.
https://github.com/greyscalepress/manifestos

On my Mac it is fine, using Calibre viewer, with the TOC items jumping to the correct chapter and page.

However, on my Sony Reader the page numbers listed next to items in the TOC are those for the following chapter. Tapping on an item in the TOC jumps me to the page number display, but that's the following chapter. Otherwise the epub opens and reads just fine.

I suspect there is a problem with the epub that is causing my Sony Reader to misbehave.

Any ideas why this might be? Thoughts appreciated.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	145066714-3421329e-b134-4d0b-9f2f-8f2f9b76d42d.jpeg
Views:	159
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	190688   Click image for larger version

Name:	145066720-9fbebf59-37a9-4df3-acbd-1b88faef577e.jpeg
Views:	159
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	190689  
Attached Files
File Type: epub Manifestos_for_the_Internet_Age-20211207_155816Z.epub (1.12 MB, 140 views)

Last edited by gingerbeardman; 12-07-2021 at 01:08 PM.
gingerbeardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 12:56 PM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbeardman View Post
I suspect there is a problem with the epub that is causing my Sony Reader to misbehave.

Any ideas why this might be? Thoughts appreciated.
Your attached epub is an epub3.

Just a guess but I would think your Sony is far too old to support epub3.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2021, 01:07 PM   #3
gingerbeardman
Zealot
gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The epub opens and reads just fine on my Sony.

It's just the TOC links that are wrong.

Is this symptomatic of lack of support for epub 3 in your experience?
Old 12-07-2021, 01:28 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Are you using the links in the nav.xhtml file as an in-line ToC or are you using the toc.ncx (unneeded by epub3 but often included for epub2 compatibility)?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 02:21 PM   #5
gingerbeardman
Zealot

The photo above is the Reader's own user interface TOC display. I'm not sure which it represents.

But the inline links on the TOC nav page (page 2, iirc) also exhibit the same behaviour.

I'll generate an epub2 later on and see if that makes a difference.

Last edited by gingerbeardman; 12-07-2021 at 02:23 PM.
Advert
Old 12-07-2021, 04:28 PM   #6
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'd be curious to see how it works if you take your epub that you got from pandoc and open it in sigil and in sigil go to the Tools menu and go down to Epub3 Tools and select Generate NCX/Guide for epub2 e-readers, then save it and open that on your Sony.

https://sigil-ebook.com/sigil/download/
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 04:52 PM   #7
gingerbeardman
Zealot

I have Sigil so it sounds like some real testing is needed.

I'll do it soon.
Old 12-08-2021, 06:39 AM   #8
gingerbeardman
Zealot

Results of the test...

TOC links lead to unexpected destination:
- epub3
- epub3+sigil

TOC links behave as expected:
- epub2

So, I'd like to understand why this is happening if possible?

Using Calibre's ebook-edit compare books feature: for this book I can see only one meaningful difference between epub2 and epub3.

nav.xhtml:
- epub2 uses a container div, id="toc"
- epub3 uses a container nav element, type+id="toc"; and a secondary nav element, type+id="landmarks"

Tags
epub, sony 650, toc, toc problem